• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Homeowner shot in leg, robbery just before 8am.
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/...home-robbery-near-79th-street-and-college-ave

Also this one. I used to live near this one. I know about 6-7 years ago the previous owners had a truck stolen, while they slept, back door was left unlocked.
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/police-seach-for-suspects-in-home-break-in-jeep-theft

There was also the guy around the corner, recently, who had been shot in the legs during a morning robbery.
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/impd-1-person-shot-near-meridian-hills-country-club

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    maybe its just me but it seems as though, lately, thieves like to strike around that time.
    right before daylight...when people are leaving for or have left for work...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The big thing lately in my in-law's neighborhood (Meridian Kessler) is to kick in doors after 8AM. Most folks have left for work by then. They go right in the front door, pop the garage door, and load up a van.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    maybe its just me but it seems as though, lately, thieves like to strike around that time.
    right before daylight...when people are leaving for or have left for work...
    The middle of the day is when three guys tried breaking into my house two years ago. They thought everyone was at work. Luckily I decided to not hit the snooze button that morning or else I would have been in the shower when they tried breaking in.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Is it just me or is Indy becoming a heck of a lot more lawless over the past few years? Seems Indy can't go a day without some sort of violent event (or multiple events) anymore. I'm surprised there aren't more bad guys catching more cases of terminal lead poisoning.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I live in the south Broad Ripple area and crime has been on the rise the last several years. As someone already mentioned earlier in this thread a common practice has been for a couple of guys to just kick in the front door mid morning hoping no one is home and grab what they can. Also a lot of strong arm robberies of people walking their dogs or just walking in the neighborhood. Anymore if I'm not in bed I have a gun on.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Wife and I were watching this story last night. At the 1:55 minute mark, they mention a panic button you can press that will call the police. I turned to my wife and said we each already have one of these, but it's more like a lever than a button. It makes a lot more noise than that plastic thing they were showing but the police will still come afterwards.

Protecting your home with security

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    I don't walk out my front(or back) door without my gun on my hip. I'll be damned if these miscreants will take advantage of me or my wife.

We have some new neighbors. Not sure yet what their stance in on the 2A, but I'm sure I'll find out soon.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, I live near 77th & Westfield, so this hits close to home. My pistol is always nearby these days. I'll have 16 chances to hit the intruder(s) before I must swap mags. Time to get the wife a pistol as well to back me up.

Time to install more security cameras around the property, they're getting pretty cheap. An 8 camera/DVR kit is less than $1000 now. I might even hide some in the trees to capture perp images.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I always laugh at the comments posted on the media websites about having a gun. First, you can't outdraw a drawn gun. Second, some people sleep heavily, and they wouldn't hear someone kicking in a door or busting out a glass window. Just having access to a gun, while asleep, clearly won't stop this kind of attack. This is why what is more important is a good alarm system and fortified doors and windows. Every entry door should have some sort of additional security on it, for those leading right to the outside, wrought iron security doors with deadbolts would help prevent people from kicking in most doors. The door from the garage into the home should have some sort of hardened security, either a wrought iron door, or a more nicer looking "screen door" with the unbreakable glass they sell in hardware stores. Consider laminating windows with security film. Also, a good alarm system that can at least alert you (not necessarily monitored) is a must. Make sure all areas are covered, especially the routes to where people sleep.

Last edited:

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I always laugh at the comments posted on the media websites about having a gun. First, you can't outdraw a drawn gun. Second, some people sleep heavily, and they wouldn't hear someone kicking in a door or busting out a glass window. Just having access to a gun, while asleep, clearly won't stop this kind of attack. This is why what is more important is a good alarm system and fortified doors and windows. Every entry door should have some sort of additional security on it, for those leading right to the outside, wrought iron security doors with deadbolts would help prevent people from kicking in most doors. The door from the garage into the home should have some sort of hardened security, either a wrought iron door, or a more nicer looking "screen door" with the unbreakable glass they sell in hardware stores. Consider laminating windows with security film. Also, a good alarm system that can at least alert you (not necessarily monitored) is a must. Make sure all areas are covered, especially the routes to where people sleep.
    I live in the Butler-Tarkington area. About eight years ago we had someone break into the house not once, but twice. I could hear him trying to bust in one of our leaded glass windows while we were sleeping. He got in, motion detectors tripped the alarm. I saw him leave, just casually walking down the street, alarm blaring.
    Went to call 911, but no dial tone. Both cell phones were downstairs. As I get ready to go downstairs, he starts coming back in the same window! I turn the alarm back on. Gets tripped seconds later, and out the window he goes again.
    Not long after that, IMPD was at the front door. Then helicopter overhead, shining lights everywhere. Joked with my wife "here comes our 15 minutes of fame, we'll be on an episode of COPS next week!"
    Eventually caught the kid a block away. The big mistake we made in all of this; left the living room drapes wide open. He could easily see the flat screen, and the laptop I left on the coffee table. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    A dog or two is a great first alert if you are sleeping and someone breaks in. My dogs would go insane at the sound of breaking glass and would immediately wake us up. They are better than an alarm sometimes.

NBLSVL.EDC.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    A dog or two is a great first alert if you are sleeping and someone breaks in. My dogs would go insane at the sound of breaking glass and would immediately wake us up. They are better than an alarm sometimes.

:yesway: X 1000.

We've got two small dogs that wouldn't do much for attacking the intruder, but they sure as hell would wake us up in time to react.

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hardening doors + windows, alarm, dog, gun, security camera, talking to your neighbors for suspicious activity, all good to do.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom