• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was supposed to wear this apparatus last night to check for sleep apnea. A chest strap with a unit the size of an old flip phone, with tubing for your nose and a finger probe for o2 sat.

i kept waking up every 20 mins with the stupid thing on, was really annoying. I was supposed to keep it on for five hours but my sleep was so awful with it on I quit after 4 hours. I'm a bad patient I guess.

anthem denied the formal sleep study and made me do the home one. If the real one doesn't have a chest strap maybe I can do that.

robbman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2016
    Shelby county
    The real one you get all wired up chest included and it's 5k a night with at least two nights.first night they watch you sleep and second they blow air up your nose and watch you sleep. Nobody leaves a sleep study without having sleep apnea! I wanted to do the home one but they refused because they can't justify 5k a night like that! All I learned from it is now I know why I've always been a side sleeper! Good luck!

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    My sleep study was just one night..wasn't really bad at all. Although it is strange having someone watch and listen to everything you do at night.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did one in 2015 (2 nights) and was surprised I kept it on. I hated it though.

Good news was I didn't have sleep appena.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    I had to do the home sleep study a couple years ago and finally found out why I am always a little tired. The one they had me do at home was like a head band so it wasn't bad really. The problem is that they won't do the hospital sleep sleep study because insurance will not cover it because I have no serious health issues as a result of the sleep apnea. BS if you ask me. Hopefully yours turns out better.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had to do the home sleep study a couple years ago and finally found out why I am always a little tired. The one they had me do at home was like a head band so it wasn't bad really. The problem is that they won't do the hospital sleep sleep study because insurance will not cover it because I have no serious health issues as a result of the sleep apnea. BS if you ask me. Hopefully yours turns out better.

Was yours forced due to a CDL?

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central
    Was yours forced due to a CDL?
    No sir, Mine was due to having some heart rythm issues. It turned out to be nothing serious and I have had them my whole life it just got annoying a couple years ago so they were trying to find any other causes at the time. Although I feel that in the future I may be forced to on my CDL due to neck size being borderline. I have heard of a lot of CDL guys around here having to have studies because of neck size.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    No sir, Mine was due to having some heart rythm issues. It turned out to be nothing serious and I have had them my whole life it just got annoying a couple years ago so they were trying to find any other causes at the time. Although I feel that in the future I may be forced to on my CDL due to neck size being borderline. I have heard of a lot of CDL guys around here having to have studies because of neck size.

That is why I had to do a sleep study. Although since then, I have found a doc who goes by more than just the neck measurement to determine if you have to do a sleep study. Hopefully by next May, I'll be under the limit anyway.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I was awake almost all damn night when I had one done at the sleep clinic. I maybe dozed off about half an hour before the sleep study concluded. Worst night of sleep in my life.

vibrationeng

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    S. Indiana
    I did one at a hospital facility about 10 days ago. Over the night I averaged stopping breathing 69 times / hour. No wonder I always feel tired in the morning. Yes, it is discomforting to try to sleep with all that stuff on but it is the only way to determine if you have issues.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I fought cpap for a long time. Even after my sleep study (in hospital, 1 night only... Never heard of a multi-night study unless they're just bending over your insurance).

I had my cpap for 2 years before I really started using it. I'd try it for a night or two and give up 2hrs in. The full mask I had sucked and would leak air into the corners of my eyes. I didn't even try again for a year and a half. I continued snoring and snorting and occasionally waking myself up to an adrenaline dump because I'd stop breathing all together.

A couple times I woke up in a cold sweat gasping for air with my heart pounding... I finally decided to give the cpap a serious try. I ordered a new mask with just the nasal pillows instead of the full face. It took a while to get used to, but was WAY less obtrusive than the mask. Had to consciously work on keeping my mouth shut at first, or the air being forced in my nose would come straight out my mouth. Now I sleep like a baby with the thing on. I actually wake up feeling rested, which is huge. Apparently it's hard to get restful sleep when your body thinks it's dying every 10 minutes.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Had a BIPAP for 10 years. Huge difference after using it.

Take a few days and get used to it, it is worth it.

Used to be 10 hrs in bed and too tired to stand up. Now 7 hrs max and run all day without trouble.

don

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the trick is to go into the study already sleepy because have all those wires, gizmos, IR camera peering at you in the dark, hospital bed...

Maybe get up really early that morning before.

I also bake them cookies. If they're watching me all night, I want them happy and alert.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was supposed to wear this apparatus last night to check for sleep apnea. A chest strap with a unit the size of an old flip phone, with tubing for your nose and a finger probe for o2 sat.

i kept waking up every 20 mins with the stupid thing on, was really annoying. I was supposed to keep it on for five hours but my sleep was so awful with it on I quit after 4 hours. I'm a bad patient I guess.

anthem denied the formal sleep study and made me do the home one. If the real one doesn't have a chest strap maybe I can do that.

The real one is not bad if you can get it approved by your insurance carrier.

The real one you get all wired up chest included and it's 5k a night with at least two nights.first night they watch you sleep and second they blow air up your nose and watch you sleep. Nobody leaves a sleep study without having sleep apnea! I wanted to do the home one but they refused because they can't justify 5k a night like that! All I learned from it is now I know why I've always been a side sleeper! Good luck!

If you stop breathing enough in the early stages, most clinics will calibrate you for a CPAP almost right away. The technician said I stopped breathing 70 times during the first hour. He came in, hooked up with the mask, and spent the rest of the night determining what pressure I would need.

I fought cpap for a long time. Even after my sleep study (in hospital, 1 night only... Never heard of a multi-night study unless they're just bending over your insurance).

I had my cpap for 2 years before I really started using it. I'd try it for a night or two and give up 2hrs in. The full mask I had sucked and would leak air into the corners of my eyes. I didn't even try again for a year and a half. I continued snoring and snorting and occasionally waking myself up to an adrenaline dump because I'd stop breathing all together.

A couple times I woke up in a cold sweat gasping for air with my heart pounding... I finally decided to give the cpap a serious try. I ordered a new mask with just the nasal pillows instead of the full face. It took a while to get used to, but was WAY less obtrusive than the mask. Had to consciously work on keeping my mouth shut at first, or the air being forced in my nose would come straight out my mouth. Now I sleep like a baby with the thing on. I actually wake up feeling rested, which is huge. Apparently it's hard to get restful sleep when your body thinks it's dying every 10 minutes.

I used the nasal pillows from the start and never had a problem.

Now I'm in position where my CPAP is dying and I haven't used it for a while, but I can't get a new one without a prescription. I can't get a prescription without a sleep study. The clinic, doctor's office, and associated hospital where I originally did all of that all claim that I was never a patient. I don't know what their motive for that is, but it would be funny if it were not irritating.

So I need to get a new sleep study.

Top Bottom