• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I may take you up on that, Mr. Monkey. Thanks for offering.

Next few days I'll make a parts list and get an order together. As soon as my financial adviser (LaDirectorina) clears the purchase, I'll get it on the way. Probably install the boxes and run all the cable first, and then put on the ends and faceplates. At least the hard part (for me) will be done, and I can start playing with APs and routers!

Gotta work on my phone wiring, too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I may take you up on that, Mr. Monkey. Thanks for offering.

Next few days I'll make a parts list and get an order together. As soon as my financial adviser (LaDirectorina) clears the purchase, I'll get it on the way. Probably install the boxes and run all the cable first, and then put on the ends and faceplates. At least the hard part (for me) will be done, and I can start playing with APs and routers!

Gotta work on my phone wiring, too.

Save your sanity. If you cut in new wall boxes for the outlets, get low voltage frames, not the blue electrical boxes.

you can get another brand of them at big box stores, but this is what I use.

Arlington | LV1 Product Information

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've seen those at Lowes. Pretty cheap, too. I have several of the "blue boxes" I was going to use (left over from wiring the garage), but these would certainly be easier. I've always cut the hole, run the wire, and THEN installed the blue box. These would save a step.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen those at Lowes. Pretty cheap, too. I have several of the "blue boxes" I was going to use (left over from wiring the garage), but these would certainly be easier. I've always cut the hole, run the wire, and THEN installed the blue box. These would save a step.

I've used leftover blue electrical boxes - just drill a big hole in the back to make it easier. You want to be as a careful as possible to avoid kinks in the Cat6 cable - that leads to signal integrity loss.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've used leftover blue electrical boxes - just drill a big hole in the back to make it easier. You want to be as a careful as possible to avoid kinks in the Cat6 cable - that leads to signal integrity loss.

I take a sawsall and remove the entire back of the box. :rockwoot: Low voltage apps only of course...

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thought I would post an update:

Thanks to the guidance in this thread, I now have both phone lines available at all but ONE jack in the house. That jack is "home run" back to the outdoor telco box, and is likely not connected correctly. I'll open it up next, and check/fix the wiring there.

So... WooHoo! Thanks for the help, guys!

Now, to decide on wiring for network....

Top Bottom