• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It is Saturday morning at 5AM and the event is major. You woke up early because of the dogs barking.
    Doesn't matter what the event is, but come Monday, no one is going to work and by then the stores will not have much to purchase because of panic buying.

• The power will fail in 24 to 36 hours.
    • I have solar power and everything is backed up. I have two big generators, both are propane powered. I'm already off grid.
    • You have two extra family members with their own cars for the weekend and they have to stay with you for the duration.
    • We have two extra bedrooms, plus the living room has sofas.
    • You own a car and a pickup truck.
    • I have a full size Jeep wagon, a little old Jeep CJ, two older tractors & old, smaller farming tools, plow, disk, harrow, cultivator, etc.
      [*]The electric golf cart is basic transportation that doesn't rely on fossil fuels and is an extra battery bank for the house.

• Your house has a septic system and 220 volt well.
    • I also have a stainless steel hand pump in one of the wells, just in case...
    • No aid to you area for months and things won't be normal for at least 6 months.
    • Today is October 5th to help you put yourself in the right mind set.
    • I buy propane off season in summer, 1,200 gallons and in fall tanks would be full.
      [*]Since it would be canning/harvest season, all the smaller tanks we take out for canning would be full too.
      [*]Since we home can and have a large 'Root Cellar', there is probably 2 years worth of food in there already, and the crops would be in full harvest, we simply wouldn't do the usual selling of harvest and can or trade until the garden gave up.
    • You live on 7 acres with few neighbors, 7 miles from a town of 1,600 with an older style Walmart and smaller grocery stores.
    • I'm already 17 miles from town, and I hate China-Mart...
    • Your house and property is not in danger from the event.
    • Of course it's not, 17 miles out of town, bordered on two sides by a river, state fish & wildlife area as a neighbor, and it's a mile off the nearest county road with people on it.
    • You have some chickens, dogs and cats.
    • Don't forget the groundhogs, coyotes, squirrels, rabbits, racoons, migrating water fowl, etc...
      [*]The deer & turkeys are so thick the crap is a problem on the beach & side yards.
      [*]Also, consider turtles, eels, fish, and anything else that creeps up & down the river or lake banks.
    • The stores are taking credit cards, checks and cash.
    • If the banks are open, and the credit card machines are working, how bad can it get?
    • You have a wood stove, chain saw, ax and an assortment of tools normally encountered with someone who owns land with equipment.
    • Naturally, along with a wood pellet & corn stove, with a grain bin full of off spec corn that reproduces, can be replanted.[/quote]
      [*]
      [*]You won't be able to travel to escape the disaster.
      [*]It's a 'Sustainable' over 'Survival' thing, why would I want to leave my little slice of paradise?
      [*]Fruit trees instead of decorative, gardens instead of 'Landscaping' & flower beds, more in home canning equipment than I have in reloading supplies, and I have a crap load of reloading supplies/equipment.

Everyone does a quick inventory and you have enough food and supplies for 3 weeks for all 5 adults.

The guns you own are a 22 rifle and pistol with 500 rounds, a 12 gauge shotgun with 300 shells and a 9 mm pistol with 300 rounds.

you forgot about 100,000 to 500,000 5.56 NATO cases, several AR clones, an SR25 with night vision that's a tack driver at 800 yards, a couple M40 rifles in 7.62 NATO and several thousand brass, the list goes on but you get the idea.

In the situation you describe, a bow & arrows, sling shots, etc for small game,
    I would do my best to surround the house to bring anyone intent on harm within range,
    I would barricade windows & doors, at least on ground level, and limit access to the house.

What you going to do?
    I would feed & water the neighbors to the extent I could, many hands make for lighter loads.
    Yard barns & campers make for portable/emergency housing,
    Anyone trustworthy & willing to do an honest days work, defend the place would be welcome.
    Strong backs are enough, but pooling resources will make things go MUCH easier.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Forgot a big tub of petroleum jelly, ziplock baggies (or saran wrap), and big bag of cotton balls.

No, I'm not concerned about your makeup removal. :): PJ infused cotton balls make awesome fire starters. put some cotton balls and petroleum jelly in a bag and massage the PJ into the balls (:): :naughty:) . When you are ready to start a fire, remove an impregnated cotton ball from the baggie and rip it in half. Place the ripped portions up on your tinder. You'll notice the fine threads of cotton sticking up as a result of the ripping motion. Those threads will light readily with merely a spark from a flint and steel or magnesium firestarter.

Doesn't everyone carry some cotton balls and a tube of antibiotic ointment or carmex or plain petrol. jelly on their person all the time?

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Sorry Longbow. I can't believe I've allowed this gem to languish.
    Fuel, canned goods, and barter items would top my list.
    Cant go wrong with booze, tobacco, and coffee.
    Trust me. In a TEOTWAWKI situation you're going to be in an advantaged position sitting there sipping hot coffee when Joe grasshopper walks up to barter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that fuel should be the number one acquisition, perhaps to the exclusion of all other things at that time. It's going to be the hardest to find later.

FreeLand

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    longbow,

I’ll take a crack at this. I welcome feedback if someone has a different take on priorities and/or my solutions to those priorities.

Since electricity is still on, I would check to see if the Internet is still up. If so, I would see if anything on the list below can be ordered for next day delivery from Amazon. I would still try to buy locally even if ordered from Amazon as delivery may, but probably won't happen.

Critical needs:

• Water requires 220V to pump out of the ground. No back up system apparently available.
    • Food on hand is not adequate to last until aid begins to arrive.
    • Prescription meds needed for sustaining health

Secondary needs:

• Medical/nutrition: non-critical prescriptions, OTC medicine, first aid, supplements
    • Sanitary/hygiene: toilet paper, soap, detergent, cleaning supplies, feminine
    • Self Defense: ammo, additional weapons, scope, night vision and/or thermal
    • Comms: scanner, GMRS radios, battery operated AM/FM
    • Animals: food, medicines

Tasks for everyone:

• Purchase as much gas as can be stored. Fill up all vehicles and any container that can safely hold fuel.
    • Withdraw as much cash as possible to use when the electricity goes out. ATM and/or from teller.

Pick up truck goes to closest Rural King, Tractor Supply, Menards etc.

• Purchase generator(s) which needs to be 220V and as large as possible to run well pump [two is one, one is none]
    • If possible also buy small inverter genie for smaller loads/better fuel efficiency/delicate electronics
    • Oil for generator maintenance
    • Cable, plugs or ready made jumper for connecting generator to house
    • Additional gas cans
    • Fuel stabilizer
    • Pitcher pump, extra leathers
    • 1.25” plastic pipe with length equal to depth of well
    • Screw-type adapter to connect pipe to pump
    • Several 1.25” hose clamps (only need one, but if you drop your only one down your well…)
    • Extra chain saw blades, bar oil, sharpening tool, maul, wedges
    • Plastic barrels or other container for water collection and storage

Two people in the next two largest vehicles head to the closest Sam’s Club or Costco.

• Buy as much shelf stable food as possible
    • Food for animals
    • Toilet paper, soap, detergent, cleaning supplies, feminine supplies
    • OTC meds and first aid supplies
    • Alkaline batteries
    • Rechargeable batteries & chargers

Fourth vehicle: Sporting goods store

• Purchase additional ammo. (especially 00 Buck and slugs)
    • Semi-auto rifle(s), ammo, 1-4x scope, mags, weapon light
    • Additional 9mm pistol, ammo, mags, holster, mag carrier, weapon light
    • Night vision or thermal goggles or sights
    • Flash lights, lanterns, head lamps

Whoever's destination takes them closest to the pharmacy the family uses should attempt to fill any available prescriptions.

After the first run to the stores, I would consider returning to purchase additional fuel and more food if supplies are potentially available. I would attempt to withdraw the daily cash limit from ATMs on Sunday morning if it seems safe to go to a bank. Before the grid electricity goes out I would attempt to store as much potable and non-potable water to be used for manually refilling toilet tanks so that when the generator is running all water pumped can be dedicated for human/animal consumption. Thinking that generator use would limited to a few hours a day to stretch fuel as far as possible. Make and store as much ice as possible before the grid goes down.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty interesting responses.

As we have strive to be prepared it is hard to put my mind into this scenario.
    Rhino is close. Fuel. Water.

Water is always the key.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I can't recommend 'Sustainable' over 'Survival' to people, that's their choice...

Probably wouldn't know there was 'An Event' until we went to McBurger to feed our junk food habit,
    We didn't know the power was out in our area for 3 days until we went to have someone else cook for us.
    (Out over a week, never had a flicker at our house in 14 years)

Wouldn't know it was over until gas supplies were restored so someone could show up to tell us it was over (and probably want to borrow something).

I *Might* be upset if we ran out of movies on Amazon and I had to dig through the pile of DVDs the wife keeps dragging home from the dollar stores.
    So many I gave up on cases and just stack them on wooden dowel rods now... Probably all chick flicks knowing my luck...

It would be nice to have about 6 months off to catch up on everything that needs to be done!
    Working on my own schedule again would be nice, I'd like to be able to call it a 'Fishing' or 'Range' day whenever the weather was just too nice to work.
    Maybe, just maybe, the phone would stop ringing with someone needing this or that 'Right Now!'
    (Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part! It's called 'Special Order' and 'Overtime' when you make it my problem)

Top Bottom