• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Citizen 5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Warsaw
    I'm not much of a prolific poster, but I thought you guys might find this of interest. Don't make fun of my Maverick too hard... it's all I can afford at the moment. :(

Anyhow, background: I bought the gun used a while ago because the price was right, but it had a 24" barrel with an integral cantilever scope mount. This is going to be an HD gun for me, but $100 for a new 18.5" barrel is more than I have available to spend at the moment, so I made a hokey but more-or-less effective shotgun barrel lathe out of 2x4s and a drill and took it down to right under 18.5". Since it's a little hard to sight down the barrel with a big old scope mount in the way, I also replaced the scope rail with a little pic rail, and asked for a cheap little $30 red dot for my birthday. So here I thought I was all setup and good to go until I got everything mounted and turned on the sight and......

Where is my dot? Oh, there it is. Oops, it's gone. Wait... oh there you are! No! Come back! (I should probably explain that this was my first experience using a red dot...) As most of you much more experienced shooters have probably already figured out, hovering my head high enough to line up with the sight, my cheek was way off the comb of the stock, so I was bobbing and weaving all over the place. I could manage for casual shooting, but in a defensive situation, there's no way I would ever find that little red guy in time.

Which brings us to this project. I looked around online for cheek risers, but most everything I was finding was either way too expensive, required you to drill your stock, was too low, was non-adjustable, or just looked super cheap and hokey. So I went to Menards and got a sheet of .1" thick plastic and went to Walmart and got some velcro. And... voila! this is what I came up with.

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it for a first attempt. The straps on all five points of attachment are adjustable, so it can go really low or really high depending on the optic I want to use. There's a little wiggle if you push it side to side, but when I'm just clamping my cheekbone down to it, it feels rock solid. However, if I ever make a Mk. II, I might go for a two-piece design like the Bradley cheek rests to make it even more stable.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

One question.
    What is holding the cheek rest up? Is there padding under it, between it and the stock?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Thanks for sharing your ideas.

One question.
    What is holding the cheek rest up? Is there padding under it, between it and the stock?

That was the exact question I had. Hard to tell from the pics. I can't see anything in there and the only thing I could think of was maybe internal velcro strapping left to right?

Top Bottom