• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    A strange thought hit me again tonight, homemade laundry soap. My wife and I tried this a few years ago before we had any considerations for prepping. We actually did this for a year in effort to cut costs a little when she became a stay at home mom to our first child. Either way, in a long term SHTF senario I understand that clean laundry may be a luxury, but wouldn't it be nice to at least have somewhat clean clothes? The ingredients are super cheap and easy to find, we got everything from WalMart or Meijers. We made almost a years worth (a single batch lasted our family 10 months) for approx $12. Now, it didn't keep our whites as white as commercial detergent, but it did work pretty well. Recipie and directions follow

What we used:
    1 bar Fels Naptha soap
    2 cups Borax
    2 cups Arm n Hammer Washing Soda (note, this is not baking soda)
    10-20 drops of desired sented oil
    1 five gallon bucket

First, grate the bar of soap using a cheese grater (or knife if thats all you've got). Next, heat a quart of water almost to boil and add grated soap, keep just below boil (boiling will produce a foam that tends to boil over the pot) until all soap is totally melted. Then pour this mixture into five gallon bucket, add other powdered ingredients, stir well. Then top off the five gallon bucket with water and stir some more. Put the lid on and let sit overnight to cool. The next day, the solution will be a gel at 2x strength. I used my hand to reach into the bucket and literally squish the gel into a more liquid form. At this stage I would then add the desired amount of the scented oil (we used a fresh linen scent but there are a wide variety of choices out there). Then I would pour (with a funnel) this into a used laundry detergent bottle to half full, fill the rest of the way with water and shake well. Boom, you've got a pretty decent laundry detergent. We used approx 1/2cup in our front load washing machine, I heard that you should use 3/4 cup in a top loader due to the fact that they use more water per load. I'm not certain what amount one would use while roughing it and washing their clothes in a makeshift basin or whatever. Another option would be to cut back on the water if needed for storage space and just to use less of the higher concentrated solution. Either way, these ingredients will keep indefinatly, store super easily and are very compact, and the only other thing thats needed is water and heat to melt the bar soap. The limiting factor for extremly long term SHTF would be the bar soap. When you purchase the ingredients, the borax and washing soda come in boxes big enough to make 8-10 batches of the stuff. If planning for longer term SHTF, I would recommend buying a few more bars of the Fels Naptha.

Note sure if anyone has ever posted this before, but I thought it may be helpful. Though we stopped using homemade detergent for our daily laundry (like I said, it's not as good as commercial detergents at keeping whites brilliant white nor at deep stain removal), I will have the ingredients in our SHTF supplies.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    It's late, and I admit I haven't read in great detail. But how much did this yield?

I saw a recipe a few years ago that was similar. But storing the amount it yielded was somewhat prohibitive. It was just a lot of "stuff" to store.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    my girlfriend always make homabe laundry soap for our family. personally the only place i can tell the diffrence is the wallet. she makes our shower, hand, and laundry soap.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    It's late, and I admit I haven't read in great detail. But how much did this yield?

I saw a recipe a few years ago that was similar. But storing the amount it yielded was somewhat prohibitive. It was just a lot of "stuff" to store.

This receipe yeilds 5gal of 2x strength detergent. I have the raw ingredients stored for SHTF which amount to a space of approx 10"x6"x8" or .273 cubic ft. Actually this includes enough for 2 batches (2 bars of soap). After mixing the ingredients, they take up the space of a 5gal bucket. Also, this is 2x strength, so effectively this makes 10 gal of detergent, since 1 gal equals 16 cups. 10 gal=160 cups. Dosage is 1/2 cup of single strength detergent when using a minimal amount of water which would mean 320 loads of laundry. Ultimatly, like I said, this would be a luxury in my opinion. This isn't something I would bug out with, this would be kept in a bug out location or in my home if I plan to stay here. Not something I'm critical on taking with me if I'm grabbing what I can for a last and only trip with supplies. If space were really an issue, you could effectively make this with much less water, say 1 gal. Thus meaning it would be 10x instead of 2x strength, also meaning that you would only be needing 1/20th of a cup for each load. My assumption would be that as people begin to use their stored foods (especially if they're storing bulk foods in mylar in 5gal buckets, a bucket could be re-used as these items are consumed, therefore you wouldn't have to have a special 5gal bucket specifically for this purpose, just an extra .27cubic ft of storage space for the dry materials in your BOL could result in 640 loads of laundry. For that matter, if you really wanted to save space, you could pre mix the dry materials into a single 1qt ziplock baggie. Two baggies would net the 640 loads mentioned.

Last edited:

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    you could consider getting a box of TSP from the home depot or lowes. It's a pretty strong cleaning chemical that can be used in a variety of applications, clothes being one of them. Probably not good to wash the car with, but it does have other uses.. a little bit goes a long way and it's pretty cheap.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    We have been doing it for years, as much soap as we go thru (5 kids) it is well worth it. Times are going to get tight, gas up to $3.50/gal this is a great way to save some change for other preps. Thanks for thinking outside the "beans and boolits" mentality.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My wife has been doing this for over 2 years now. It works well.... at least Im not broke out in a rash, itching or stinking. Clothes are clean and have held up well with it,

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Wife and I have been using the same recipe but with out the scented oil. We've been adding a scoop of oxy clean to help out with whites.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Most laundry detergent is 90 percent salt. P&G or Colgate. (Powder)
    Liquid was made better with SLS base and sodium bicarb. Same ingredients they put in their toothpaste.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    My sister has been doing this for a few years. Don't remember the exact ingredients but it works with my HE washer and all is good.

Best part is that when she makes a batch she always makes too much and I don't think I have paid but once. Can't beat free ... now if only she would deliver it as well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    you could consider getting a box of TSP from the home depot or lowes. It's a pretty strong cleaning chemical that can be used in a variety of applications, clothes being one of them. Probably not good to wash the car with, but it does have other uses.. a little bit goes a long way and it's pretty cheap.

What is TSP? :dunno:

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    We have been buying ecos from sams club for I think $11 and some change.. it does 210 loads HE loads, but this would even be way cheaper then that. I will be trying this when our remaing detergent is gone. Thanks for the post.. We should have a section on how to make some different stuff such as this for keeping at our big out locations since I know a lot of home made cleaners are made with different mixtures of the same ingredients. It would still be good to keep sanitary conditions wherever you may bug out to and you probably wont be able to get any kind of cleanersor wouldnt want to venture out to get them. Just a thought!

Top Bottom