• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huntertrapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    INGUN Nation,
    I've got a wild hair to build a tumbler for brass prep since those who manufacture them commercially are so proud of them (expensive!). I've got 6 casters and if I can find the proper motor I'll get it turning in no time, however, I'm at a loss to figure out what kind of container I can use for a watertight drum. The only readily available thing I have that I could think of was a paint can with the hinges and handle removed. Will a paint can hold up with brass and stainless steel media for very long?
    Thanks,
    huntertrapper

BEANC0UNTER

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    The local plumbing place gave me a broken piece of the sdr 35 green 6 inch pvc. I had the 1.5 inch pvc in the garage to make the bars with. The cap, reducer and rubber cap can be bought at Menard's if you have one close.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The local plumbing place gave me a broken piece of the sdr 35 green 6 inch pvc. I had the 1.5 inch pvc in the garage to make the bars with. The cap, reducer and rubber cap can be bought at Menard's if you have one close.
    This^^^

Go with PVC. Check your local plumber etc for a short cut-off of a large diameter pipe. That's the best way I know of.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I made mine with a clothes dryer. Actually don't really use it much anymore...I think wet tumbling requires too much attention. I'd much rather flick a switch and come back on my schedule, and not have to worry about how long I have until the suspension agent breaks down and my brass is dirty again.

huntertrapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    ZbornacSVT, what's the benefit of wet tumbling over zibratory? Is it personal preference or are there real differences?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    ZbornacSVT, what's the benefit of wet tumbling over zibratory? Is it personal preference or are there real differences?

Wet tumbling with SS media does get your brass as clean as I've seen it, both inside and out. Even the primer pockets, too. Will basically look new. The rub I have found is that when you go this route you typically add Dawn or some other soap to act as a suspension agent. The soap will grab the dirt and grime that the SS media knocks off the brass and keep it from going back on the brass. You must stop tumbling BEFORE the soap breaks down or all that grime will just go right back on your brass.

I like to be able to just flip the switch and come back when I want to or when I remember. Leaving brass in a vibratory tumbler longer means you just have cleaner brass. Leaving it in a wet tumbler too long means you get to clean them again.

Top Bottom