• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kujolo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2017
    Kokomo
    I see there are several ultrasonic cleaning solutions for sale by different manufacturers but I was wondering what DIY solutions members are using to clean brass and what DIY solutions are you using to clean gun parts in your ultrasonic cleaner? ...

Anyone?

P.S. Forgive me for breaking my cherry here as this is my first posting.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I have a small Lyman machine. I use 3 cups hot water( almost boiling) 1/2 tablespoon lemi shine and 2 drops original dawn(blue) dish soap. Works great on all the brass ive done so far. Every now and then I'll get a pink tint to a case but it seems to go away after they full dry

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Seems like a lot of people use the Lemi shine mix for brass. I have not yet.
    I have simple green on hand and use maybe 1/2 teaspoon of it and about a tablespoon of vinegar for my 1.8 liter ultrasonic unit. My ultrasonic instructions caution using water over 180 F (I think that's it).
    Interested in solution suggestions for gun parts with this thread as well.

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    All you need is water to clean the cases. All you need is Dawn to quickly clean the cases. All you need is Dawn and citric acid to quickly clean the cases and give them a slight polish. If your goal is shiny virgin-looking brass, a rotary tumbler and stainless pins works.
    I consider 30 minutes in 20/40 corn to be more than sufficient.
    I get completely clean cases with slight shine using a few drops to a small squirt of Dawn and a teaspoon of citric acid in hot water within 20 minutes in my ultrasonic cleaner.
    I get completely clean cases and mirror polish with a few drops of Dawn and a teaspoon of citric acid in my Thumler's Tumbler with hot water and 5 lbs. of SS pins in 6-8 hours (this time decreases if you are cleaning previously cleaned once-fired after cleaning cases).
    Remember, anything other than simply wiping the case exterior with a cloth is done for YOUR pleasure.

Top Bottom