• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    While it probably would have been best to call the police, it said the guy was special forces; chances are, he had more training than the police, and I'm sure that his mentality is different when facing a threat. Not saying its right or the best choice, just pointing it out.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Listening to the officers I would also give credit to the dispatchers to gave good info. Too many times officers get called to alarms or burglary in progress where it isn't much of anything.

Chesh97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I completely agree with the police spokeswoman. The homeowner should not have gone into the house. He was very lucky.

:n00b: I hope thats sarcasm...

Vallar, who served with the Army's Special Forces .....

I'd say he was better equipped to handle the situation than the responding officers.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    When interviewed at police headquarters, Wilson reportedly told Officer Gregory Fleck that he had entered the home "to talk to the residents and wasn't going to steal anything," but admitted to picking up several items, according to the affidavit.
    Hey, the guy just wanted someone to talk to! ...wasn't going to steal anything. :dunno: :rolleyes:

Yeah, right. I wont even "break into" my friend's house ...and he trusts me with his security code!

Oh, yeah ...and Special Forces? I'd say he probably had the training to do what he did. OTOH, the average Barney sort of citizen may be a few classes short ...with very little "lab" experience, which makes the standard disclaimer actually make a lot of sense.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I completely agree with the police spokeswoman. The homeowner should not have gone into the house. He was very lucky.
    I completely disagree and firmly believe that you can only "own" what you're able and willing to defend. Until more home invaders show up in the morgue than in the revolving door that is our "justice" system, law abiding citizens will never extinguish the wildfire of crimes that we're currently experiencing.

Police aren't there to protect you from criminals, they are there to find criminals who get away and bring them to justice. Until people take responsibility for their own safety and begin to eliminate the predators from society (one way or another), our society will continue to breed predators and some people will remain as prey.

How many violent home invasions have there been this year alone where the perps are so brazen as to kick in the doors in the middle of the day.... dressed like or shouting "police"....?

:xmad::xmad::xmad:

Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
    A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
    Take all the rope in Texas
    Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
    Hang them high in the street for all the people to see.
    We got too many gangsters doing dirty deeds
    We've got too much corruption, too much crime in the streets
    It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground
    Send 'em all to their maker and he'll settle 'em down
    You can bet he'll set 'em down

zallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    I enjoy hearing stories like this, anyone think of sending it in to the "Armed Citizen" segment of American Rifleman. +1 for Special Forces!

WillyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Glad the bad guy was secured and is going where he needs to be. I hope Mr. Vallar was able to get the s*** smudges off his medals where that turd touched them.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    It sounds like it went very well. I think that he did the right thing by entering the house, after all, it is his house. It could have went very different, but it could have went different if the police would have been called. Bottom line is, bad guy goes to jail and no one is injured.
    I personally, stopped a break-in in progress of my car, guy broke in to my car and was going through the center console when I walked up behind him and asked if he found anything good in there, he tried to run, but was swiftly put to the ground, I ended up letting him go.
    We don't always do things the way others think we should, but if it goes well, it's hard to say we are wrong.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Personally, I'd like to know what sort of thought process the burglar had.

"Oh hey look, military service medals; they're shiny, I can probably sell those somewhere....wonder what they're for?"

*CLICK*

".....oh ****..."

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    :n00b: I hope thats sarcasm...

Vallar, who served with the Army's Special Forces .....

I'd say he was better equipped to handle the situation than the responding officers.
    That's not sarcasm. In the "sandbox" this guy had heavily armed buddys around him, a vest and a fully automatic long arm. Even local cops have the training and back-up on the way. This guy acted individually without even calling 911 first. He let his adrenalin get in the way of his good sense. His neighbor called him and told him "a" guy was breaking into his house? How did he know there wasn't another person or two who came in later from another side of the house? How about one of them carrying a weapon, maybe even a shotgun? Even a perp acting alone could be deadly. In 1980 in Evansville a couple came home and surprised a burglar. The burglar ambushed the home owner and bashed his head with a dumbell. He then proceeded to beat him to death in front of his screaming wife and two little kids. The perp then strangled the wife in front of the kids as she begged for her little one's lives.

Good luck on breaking up a felony in progress in your home. No way in Hell will I do that.

Top Bottom