• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    In my dealing with HOAs, currently in a house without one, the board members are concerned with more than maintaining the value of the property (which should be there main focus). My homeschooling came up during a HOA meeting. I introduced the board to HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association). Last time that subject was discussed. Why they were concerned with my homeschooling I'll never know. Bunch of busy bodies that lack any significance in the real world, so they try to bully everyone in the HOA.

Ooooooo buddy. Wow.

I love how you handled that though. I feel like seeing it in action would have been epic. We homeschool, but other than funny looks from old ladies in the grocery store during "school" hours haven't had too many issues.

(Of course I can't even mow my grass so I stay away from HOAs...)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Two friends: One is engaged in warfare against his HOA by showing up at every meeting, demanding they have quorum before doing anything, citing their own rules on records and minutes, etc. They're so busy dealing with him they don't do anything else.

Another bought his house before the HOA was established, and his house is the only one exempt. He delights in painting unapproved colors, wrong breed of grass, etc, just to remind them that he is free and they are not.

As to us, we travel a lot and keep animals. No way an HOA would work for us. Though the local village (which we are not resident in) is trying desperately to zone everyone in it and Township into a de facto HOA--no construction over 100 sq ft, or no project over $500, without a license, etc.

The 5 houses out here in this part of the township just smile and nod, and no one says anything. All those sheds and pools predate the zoning laws, I'm sure of it. I definitely saw that one shed 5 years ago.

Smithkowitz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    PAC NW
    What a perfect week for this discussion. A time when we Honor those who have paid the Ultimate Price (some by choice, some not) to protect the Freedoms that we cherish in the USA.
    The encroachment of Civilization (?) upon country life is a continual issue all across the USA. As many have posted: people move to the country to get away from it all, and as a result, what they left behind follows them eventually. It truly is heart breaking. Especially when that civilized following, always seems to bring increased crime & corruption with it.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If only there was some kind of device you could put on your gun to reduce the noise level so it didn't bother your neighbors. . .

Smithkowitz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2017
    PAC NW
    If only there was some kind of device you could put on your gun to reduce the noise level so it didn't bother your neighbors. . .
    And if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to do so! Where I live, we can own those, but $200 for the tax stamp and about $700-$1000 for the suppressor . . . ridiculous. That's like twice the price of many decent firearms. Plus there is about 3-9 months wait time for approval, last I read.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Two friends: One is engaged in warfare against his HOA by showing up at every meeting, demanding they have quorum before doing anything, citing their own rules on records and minutes, etc. They're so busy dealing with him they don't do anything else.
    Best way to derail Robert's Rules people is move to fix a time to adjourn. That motion is always in order and they must deal with it first. They get to arguing over it and voila, nothing gets done.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    I'm scared to ask where your friends live Restroyer. We can't shoot because we're in city limits. Most people in our neighborhood grill in the driveway/keep the grill in the garage. I'm a charcoal purist so mine lives on the patio in back. Burning leaves is a within city limits thing. Storage can be an issue, boats, RVs, etc. We never followed the rather Draconian 24 hour guidelines. I think that was a typo and they spelled 7 days wrong.

Can't fly the flag? Seriously??!! That's actually in the covenants? Short of Hell freezing over that's one thing that would get me back on an HOA board. Long term: amend the covenants. Short term: properly display the flag(s). If anybody on that board says anything I'd move to have them removed from the board.

Wasn't there something in Greenwood a while back on these lines? Korean War Vet?

They live in different communities but they are both north of Cincinnati near Kings Island.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    They live in different communities but they are both north of Cincinnati near Kings Island.

Ohio is the State that elected Howard Metzenbaum to office for like 50 years. I guess the next question is, "We're they given the covenants prior to closing?" The Stars and Stripes comes under Title 36 USC and the First Amendment. Unless the neighborhood is majority commie pinko bags of dog excrement, push to change the covenants.

Top Bottom