Honda Mfg in Greensburg - good place to work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good place to work? Going through the process now. I've never worked ona production line so it will be change for me. Can you tell what is good and bad about working there? Any infomation you want to share will great. I just wanted to do a little homework outside the usual places and find some firsthand experience.

Thanks,

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Congrats on your new job.:yesway:

No I do not but I am sure lots of others would love to have a job right now so I would be making the best of it. I do know a few people who sent their resume in a couple of years ago and has heard nothing so far.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    My brother works there and has worked there since they opened. He says it's hard work, but I have a feeling it's similar to Cummins which isn't bad. I know all his tools are free floating. I'm kinda surprised they're hiring since they're having trouble getting parts from Japan.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I've heard they have a very strict attendance program. I'm not against this but I prefer an employer who understands things happen. I've also heard they have mandatory overtime and unpaid shutdowns.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have a couple friends who are welders at HMA. Attendance is strict, pay is not "UAW" level, and the work is demanding and fast paced. It is a very "japanese" culture. Everyone obviously has the capacity to do the work but some may not have the will or the drive.

What i can say is that my one friend who needed the job the most, has embraced the culture and has been quite successful. The other friend dislikes every minute of it.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    I go for an interview in a little over a week. Never worked a production line, always been paid for office work. I'm bit apprehensive over the pace, not a spring chicken anymore, but I need to get paid and have had no other luck. This is not what want to do but’s all I got for now.

Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I work at the Toyota plant down here in Princeton and I would assume it is pretty much the same. Yes it is fast paced and you will be a little overwhelmed at first but you will get the hang of it. Oh yes you will hurt for the first month or so but again, your body will get used to it.

Just make sure you show up on time everyday and dont do anything stupid and you will keep all your fingers and toes.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    right now they aren't actually building many cars if any due to all the issues in Japan they can't get all the parts. BUT they haven't laid off anyone yet, and right now after the tornadoes that went through greensburg, they are having their employees help with the cleanup instead of working in the factory with nothing to build.

so it seems like a pretty good place to work from that alone.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I've also heard they have mandatory overtime and unpaid shutdowns.

right now they aren't actually building many cars if any due to all the issues in Japan they can't get all the parts. BUT they haven't laid off anyone yet, and right now after the tornadoes that went through greensburg, they are having their employees help with the cleanup instead of working in the factory with nothing to build

The overtime and shutdowns is the same at where I work. I plan ahead and figure on using vacation time during our unpaid shutdown (normally in July). Due to the Tsunami we are having an additional shutdown this coming week. The bad part to this is will be starting out and not having the vacation time (or any other time) available to use for the shutdown(s). I've been with my current employer for 8 years now. I rolled 5 vac days over from last year and that gave me 20 days this year.:rockwoot:

They did lay off all temp employees and did away with 2nd shift for the month of May. They also offered voluntary time off for full time workers who could get unemployment for the month. Those from 2nd shift who didn't take the time off went to first shift for the month. Even with all this we still didn't have full production work weeks stretching out the numbers. Our facility was trashed after the winter and that was a constant job for when lines were done they went outside to pick up trash.

As of right now June 6 is looking like the day for when things will start to return to normal for us. They were calling all full time workers to return on the 6th and they were bringing back some of the temps; not all for now.

All of this is at a Japanese based company.

Top Bottom