• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond
    I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with any man that stands right. Stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
    A. Lincoln
    Nicely put. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Honest" abe my ***.
    The problem with being purely pragmatic is that sometimes lying is the pragmatic thing to do. Pragmatism without principle is a race to the bottom. But, it looks to me like Lincoln was also a an idealist too. It looks to me like if he were purely pragmatic, if it were really just about keeping the union together, he'd have just said, okay **** it. You win. You can keep your slaves. And the goal of keeping the union together likely would have been achieved. What's easier, spending 620K lives on forcing a union, or gaslighting the abolitionists into accepting it?

So it was also every bit about slavery to Lincoln. He wanted to end it. And he wanted to preserve the union. To a pragmatic idealist everything is on the table. It doesn't matter what he wrote. It matters what he did.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Welcome!

I don't care for Lincoln, but didnt mean to be a jerk to the new guy.

The sentiment of the quote is admirable, however i feel about the origin.

I agree with Bubba Effect. I wonder if the OP wonders what the heck he got himself into with posting what he probably felt was an innocent quote. It was only his second or third entry and bam… It’s a Lincoln debate.

Don’t give up, Popm! You are on your way to fifty posts! Maybe try using other presidential quotes. It may be safe to use something William Harrison said!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree with Bubba Effect. I wonder if the OP wonders what the heck he got himself into with posting what he probably felt was an innocent quote. It was only his second or third entry and bam… It’s a Lincoln debate.

Don’t give up, Popm! You are on your way to fifty posts! Maybe try using other presidential quotes. It may be safe to use something William Harrison said!
    If he’s lurked around INGO for any length of time he knows what’s up.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    If he’s lurked around INGO for any length of time he knows what’s up.
    Possibly but I think it's more likely that he liked the sentiments of the quote and thought others would agree with it too not realizing that the mention of anything related to Lincoln was a firestarter here.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Possibly but I think it's more likely that he liked the sentiments of the quote and thought others would agree with it too not realizing that the mention of anything related to Lincoln was a firestarter here.
    So…., we could just skip all the L*****n talk and go back to the subject…

Does anyone else do business on a handshake anymore?
    I’ll land 10k to 50k worth of product on their job, do the work, and collect when I’m done, unless weather stops us and then I may collect on the finished part, all based on me giving them an estimate and they say ok.
    23 years and never have signed a paper or contract, only been held up once for a small amount (wasn’t small at the time) by - get this for the stereotype - a guy that was a doctor and a lawyer.

In the words of Stephen Stills, “I don’t do business that don’t make me smile”…so far, so good.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A more effective fire starter than white phosphorous. Around here it's more like adding willie pete to a stack of tires... that have been soaked in napalm.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Endeavor to persevere

"Gone to Texas" is a good read.....Eastwood's movie adaptation is one of hos best!

Lone Watie: I wore this frock coat in Washington, before the war. We wore them because we belonged to the five civilized tribes. We dressed ourselves up like Abraham Lincoln. We only got to see the Secretary of the Interior, and he said: "Boy! You boys sure look civilized.!" he congratulated us and gave us medals for looking so civilized. We told him about how our land had been stolen and our people were dying. When we finished he shook our hands and said, "endeavor to persevere!" They stood us in a line: John Jumper, Chili McIntosh, Buffalo Hump, Jim Buckmark, and me — I am Lone Watie. They took our pictures. And the newspapers said, "Indians vow to endeavor to persevere."
    We thought about it for a long time, "Endeavor to persevere." And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.

Top Bottom