• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Another thing about 4.0gr Clays verses 5.9gr W-231 about same velocity is the way it recoils. IÂ’ve found that to be accurate with either powder is to change the way I hold the gun slightly to manage the snappy recoil of the 231 or less snap of Clays. It can make big difference.
    I am also going to try going slower on the Clays it could be interesting but I have found it to leave some, I think, un-burnt powder with 200gr bullets.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Most of the bullets my friends and I have seen this with are JHP bullets. One buddy swears it happened with a FMJ, with the lead core going out the nose of the jacket. That sounds iffy to me, but it may be possible if the jacket material at the nose is very thin.

What happens is the jacketed bullet gets stuck due to friction. In a JHP there is not much holding the lead core from exiting the jacket except for the jacket being crimped around the radiused portion of the nose. The normal forces of firing a bullet do not require more than that. With the jacket stuck in the bore, inertia keeps the lead core moving forward, pulling out of the jacket and out of the bore. Some pics are below. With mine, the jacket was sticking out of the barrel, slightly. Others my friends noticed were more toward the middle of the barrel.

Here is the jacket sticking out of my muzzle.
    View attachment 89561

Here is the jacket w/o lead core.

View attachment 89560

I would bet that a few things are lied up for that to happen. I would bet a failure with the swedging process at the manufacturer and not enough velocity / FPS on the loaders end...

I have seen it happen with two different rifle loads using pulldown bullets, 62 grain SS109's and 147 grain M80 bullets, the 62 grainers were shot by me and once every few rounds I would pickup a few extra holes in the target, I was having jackets separating from the steel core maybe 75 yds downrange.
    The other was a friend that was shooting pulldown M80's, and had jacket separation and it took out a few baffles and end cap on his can.

On has to be very careful when loading reduced loads, really weird stuff can happen really fast with lots of powders.
    Thats one of the reasons I really like Quickload, it will tell you hey,hey,HEY. It take the human decision out of it, if one listens.

I did this years ago by having a low charge...

View attachment 89565

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Another thing about 4.0gr Clays verses 5.9gr W-231 about same velocity is the way it recoils. IÂ’ve found that to be accurate with either powder is to change the way I hold the gun slightly to manage the snappy recoil of the 231 or less snap of Clays. It can make big difference.
    I am also going to try going slower on the Clays it could be interesting but I have found it to leave some, I think, un-burnt powder with 200gr bullets.

4.0 Grain Clays vs 5.9 Win231. That would be a big difference in velocity! I would have to check my notes but if memory serves 5.0 grains of Win231 was giving me 180+ power factor. Hodgdon lists 5.3 as a max charge for 231. I have no doubt there are older manuals that go higher.

I load a pile of 231 in 9mm, but have never liked it as well in .45 ACP. Although it tends to be a powder I keep a supply of and recommend because of the versatility.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    4.0 Grain Clays vs 5.9 Win231. That would be a big difference in velocity! I would have to check my notes but if memory serves 5.0 grains of Win231 was giving me 180+ power factor. Hodgdon lists 5.3 as a max charge for 231. I have no doubt there are older manuals that go higher.

I load a pile of 231 in 9mm, but have never liked it as well in .45 ACP. Although it tends to be a powder I keep a supply of and recommend because of the versatility.

When people come into my loading room I always get asked why do you have a few 4 & 8 lb'ers each of Bullseye and Unique powder?
    When I say I can easily load 35-40 thousand handgun rounds with that, you see them start to think....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    When people come into my loading room I always get asked why do you have a few 4 & 8 lb'ers each of Bullseye and Unique powder?
    When I say I can easily load 35-40 thousand handgun rounds with that, you see them start to think....

It’s Bullseye and HP-38 (231) for me. Those are currently the pistol powders I keep on hand. I could survive with either of those.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI

Yes, I like those relative speeds for pistol powders as well. For me it is Clays and AA#5. I use Clays for shotgun loads too.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Had to look again at load data. Yes 5.9gr 231 with 200gr plated. 5.5gr being start load 6.2gr being max. Your right the velocity is quite a bit higher. Starting velocity for 3.9gr Clays is 713 FPS and starting velocity for 231 is 772 FPS. So 5.9gr of 231 was quite a bit faster. Velocity wise they apples and oranges.

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I use 3.8 grains of clays with 230 grain LRN. Shoot good and clean. Cycles in all my 45 acp guns. Its work good in 44 mag and 357 target loads.

Top Bottom