• ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    hoe-banner2011.jpg

The Hoosier Outdoor Experience is Indiana’s largest, hands-on outdoor recreation event. Featuring more than 50 activities and 120 grassroots partners, this free weekend provides opportunities to learn about the great Indiana outdoors.

DNR: The Hoosier Outdoor Experience

We will have shooting clays, pellet rifles, and archery in the "shooting sports" area again this year. Hunting activities include bow fishing, trapping, elk and deer hunting, turkey hunting, waterfowl ID and dog demonstrations. Lots of non-shooting activities as well.

I will be there again this year, coordinating the Jeep Rides activity and driving my 'little' Jeep TJ. There will be TONS of stuff to do (65 activities planned), so mark your calendar. Yeah, its a month away still..... Don't worry, I'll remind you!

BTW: if you are interested in offroading in Indiana, check out http://www.ifwda.org.

Last edited:

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    For the shooting sports activities, are the guns, and bows supplied? Or do we bring our own gear? I've never been to this event but I want to attend this year.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    For the shooting sports activities, are the guns, and bows supplied? Or do we bring our own gear? I've never been to this event but I want to attend this year.

The event organizer supplies everything: guns, ammo, ears, eyes, bows, arrows, targets..... the works. You just need to show up! Bring the family, and bring someone new to the sport(s).

Every single activity is staffed and supplied by volunteers. Make sure you thank them, and thank the DNR for hosting!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Huh. I may just do this.

Do you just show up?
    They prefer you register, for planning purposes.
    DNR: Registration

It is 100% free (well, thank the nearest taxpayer and the volunteers), and you can just show up that weekend.

It can get BUSY, with 12,000 people coming through in 2 days. Get there when the gates open. You heathens (like me) can get there first thing Sunday for the smallest crowds. I think the horseback riding, canoes, and kayaks all will take reservations, so hit them first to get your name on the list for later.

You can park across the street behind the Finance Center, and take a trolley into the park (no cars allowed in the park during the event). They have trolleys (like the state fair) running all day to shuttle folks around to all of the activities.

If you park and then walk in the Glen Road entrance (about a 1/4 mile walk), it will put you right at the Jeep, ATV, and Horse rides. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is there alot of activities for young kids? Say 5&3 year olds? Both kids like the outdoors stuff, and would enjoy doing some of the stuff.
    Here is the activities list:
    DNR: Activities

Depends what your kids are into, and what they are ready for. I know they have kids fishing, pony rides, gold panning, and such. The 5 year old may like the pellet rifles, and there are all kinds of other activities.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Gentle Reminder!

Hoosier Outdoor Experience is this weekend! Lots of good stuff to do with the family. Even a couple of shooting activities. Horse and pony rides, fishing, scouting, nature stuff, and (most importantly) JEEP RIDES!!!! Open from 9AM - 6PM at Fort Harrison. Parking is at the Finance Center at 56th and Post, with trolleys running to get you into the park. THIS IS A FREE EVENT!

I'll be working the Jeep/4x4 Rides all day Saturday, driving a silver Jeep TJ with an INGO sticker on the back. If you are interested in off-roading in Indiana, are looking for a place to ride or folks to ride with, we have tons of info. Stop by and take a spin with us!

And yes, if anyone is wondering: Fort Harrison is a State Park run by the DNR. If your have your LTCH, you can carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association, including the suave and deboniar (well, I pluck my ear hair) Director at Large for the Northern District, will be breakfasting at Lincoln Square Pancake House on 56th Street at 7AM tomorrow.

RESCHEDULED: PAPPAS PANCAKE HOUSE, 42ND AND PENDLETON PIKE

ISRPA, we get more breakfast eaten than most people do all day, and a lot earlier to boot.:laugh:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    URGENT: THIS DEMANDS YOUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION!

The breakfast meeting of the lord high muckety mucks of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association will be convened at Pappas Pancake House at 42/Sellers Street and Pendleton Pike. Time remains the same.

Papas Pancake House - East - Indianapolis | Urbanspoon

Come by, say hello and we'll give you an ISRPA brochure! If you pay for Kirk's breakfast, we'll give you two brochures.

ISRPA: We move meetings around more before 9AM than most people do all day.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Can you bring a back pack into this thing? I don't want to have to carry kids sweatshirts or coats later in the day if it's cool in the morning. Rather mule 'em with a pack.

Top Bottom