• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    '
    I was going to ask how you guys were doing, today was the first bird I've heard and worked.
    Today was the first time I’ve been out this year but he’s been here since Wednesday morning. It’s been pretty slow, we were both caught way off guard when the gobbler showed up. We just watched six jakes walk across the field by us, hopefully they’ll keep on going. We’ve had quite a few hunts ruined by those little %}&:),&{^})#!!’s over the years lol.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Had a long beard sneak in on us this morning about an hour after daybreak. He hung up around 60yds for awhile, gobbled a few times then started to go past the decoys when my hunting partner sent an arrow and made a kill shot at 40yds. He flew a couple hundred yards and crashed in the woods. Took about half an hour to find him. My best friend’s first arrow launched and first kill on his property since buying it last July.

Today is a good day. Tomorrow I’m up to bat.
    Did you film that? In a blind, or just tucked in a tree line? I like the idea of using my vertical bow, but I doubt I could pull it off just tucked into the trees. Maybe my X-bow(I don't even know if that's legal. I'll have to check.....I can't think of a reason, off hand, why not)I had to get a red-dot for my 12 because of a crippled dominant eye. After that expense, I'll be using that, if I get the chance.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Did you film that? In a blind, or just tucked in a tree line? I like the idea of using my vertical bow, but I doubt I could pull it off just tucked into the trees. Maybe my X-bow(I don't even know if that's legal. I'll have to check.....I can't think of a reason, off hand, why not)I had to get a red-dot for my 12 because of a crippled dominant eye. After that expense, I'll be using that, if I get the chance.
    Certainly your crossbow is legal for turkeys.

Legal Equipment​

Turkeys can be hunted only with:

• A 10-, 12-, 16-, 20-, or 28 gauge or .410 shotgun, loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Tungsten Super Shot #9 and 10 may also be used. Non-toxic shot is required while hunting turkey on some DNR properties. Call the property you are interested in hunting on for additional information.
    • A muzzleloading shotgun not smaller than 20-gauge and not larger than 10-gauge, loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Combination loads using shot sizes other than these are illegal.
    • Bow and arrow
    • A crossbow

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We were in a blind this morning. We prefer to run and gun but we‘re on less ground than we used to hunt and don’t want to risk spooking any.

We film everything but we don’t own the rights to it so I can’t share it. It’ll probably be on the Sportsman’s Channel next year. Hit Squad Outdoors with Tim Sylvia is the show we film for.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Back the blind this morning. Lots of gobbling going on initially but it’s slowed way down now. Heard a shot across the road which is where most of the gobbling was coming from. Hopefully whoever it was got their bird, may have killed my chances but I’m not complaining, I’d rather be sitting here than working.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Back the blind this morning. Lots of gobbling going on initially but it’s slowed way down now. Heard a shot across the road which is where most of the gobbling was coming from. Hopefully whoever it was got their bird, may have killed my chances but I’m not complaining, I’d rather be sitting here than working.
    The gobbling stops once on the ground if they`re rendezvousing with hens. Oftentimes, after the hens go to the nest, the toms are more vulnerable. But as you already know, there are no guarantees with turkey hunting.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Drug dealer's dog running all over the woods at speed barking hysterically, I gave up and came back in. Try again early afternoon.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Drug dealer's dog running all over the woods at speed barking hysterically, I gave up and came back in. Try again early afternoon.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Killed a nice jake this morning. Normally I'd wait for a tom, but this may have been my only opportunity to hunt turkey this year and decided I would take any legal bird if a shot was presented to me. I had just sent my wife pictures of deer in my decoys when I looked up and saw him running right at my jake decoy. He stopped and began to go into a strut when I hammered him at about 25yds. 6:55am and I was home in time to clean him and still mak it to church with my wife! When I got back to my truck, my coffee was still hot.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Killed a nice jake this morning. Normally I'd wait for a tom, but this may have been my only opportunity to hunt turkey this year and decided I would take any legal bird if a shot was presented to me. I had just sent my wife pictures of deer in my decoys when I looked up and saw him running right at my jake decoy. He stopped and began to go into a strut when I hammered him at about 25yds. 6:55am and I was home in time to clean him and still mak it to church with my wife! When I got back to my truck, my coffee was still hot.
    You ROCK buddy! CONGRATULATIONS!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If a shotgun barks in the woods, and nobody`s there to hear it, does it make any noise?

True, but this guy is rat smart. When his dog turns up missing this is the first place he'll send the cops. I need to be able to truthfully say that I don't know what happened to it.

Also why I don't play cards for money.;)

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I am shooting an 870 20ga with factory full choke and 3” Winchester XR 5 shot
    Got this hoping I could get my 15 yr old to hunt with me... I using it because my semi auto is with the gunsmith.
    spooked one bad yesterday and haven’t heard a peep out of a turkey today. I’m off all week!

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I got one Sunday morning. Got to my spot in Owen Co well before daylight and walked the north end shock-calling every couple hundred yards. I got to the middle of the long property and heard them answering from back where I had been. I high-tailed it back and set up my decoys in a hurry because they were gobbling fairly close from 3 directions. I was well hid and used a couple friction calls. I heard answers from two opposite directions and they were closing on me. Gave a little break, then more calls. I had them Gobble from a field and approaching fast from my right. Two Tom's walked down a lane right to the decoys. One went to full strut and popped his head up as I triggered. It was great fun. Less than 20 yard shot with Mossberg 500, 12g. 5 shot.

11 1/8" beard
    1 5/16 Spurs
    45" long
    16.4 pounds as pictured

Attachments

• IMG_3285.JPG
      IMG_3285.JPG
      831.1 KB · Views: 8
    • IMG_3279.JPG
      IMG_3279.JPG
      1.6 MB · Views: 8
    • IMG_3298.JPG
      IMG_3298.JPG
      1,011 KB · Views: 8

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Couple more birds I called in for friends this week...
    Very, very well done buddy. Clearly you know what you`re doing and how the birds in that area tend to travel and respond. I`m getting out for the first time this spring season in the morning. I hope I can match your success!

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Very, very well done buddy. Clearly you know what you`re doing and how the birds in that area tend to travel and respond. I`m getting out for the first time this spring season in the morning. I hope I can match your success!
    Best of luck!!!

Top Bottom