• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    the story is lacking a bit, i would like to know why the denial are happening other than "state police are checking applications even more carefully now that more are coming in"
    what the hell does that mean!!!???

bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    i would imagine here as in many other states there is a huge influx of apps. i wish there was some better journalism done in this story

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Has the requirement changed? How has the rate of denial changed? The number of denials may increase but if the number of applications has greatly increased (which I think it has) then the rate of denial may not have changed. For that matter it could even be lower than previous.

The question I would ask is this: IS someone wrongfully denied or are these denials legit?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    More and more old criminal cases are being computerized, the data base is becoming more complete.

I can understand that. Plus, it seems to me, just the odds of more "non-eligible" applicants being thrown out, will catch up when you have more and more people applying.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I would say the denials are mostly legit. A combination of more applications than normal and good police work. As Kirk said, we are finally seeing criminal cases being computerized and easier to search and access (Not all counties are onboard though, still have a long way to go). I have personally ran background checks on a person who had carry permit, and turned up an old felony conviction (some of them pretty serious). Sometimes those cases never show up and the state police have no choice but to issue.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was denied the second time I applied for a 4 year license. SP said that a charge showed up the second time because they checked another database. I was a "victim of circumstance" and I checked "no" for ever being convicted of a felony. Since I never was tried or even met with an attorney, I thought I answered correctly.

The Trooper just told me to list "POSP-never tried" and re-submit. I got the license a couple weeks later.

Now I have a LTCH so I won't have to try and explain every 4 years.:)

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    My friend got a new 38 at 1 LGS, and then 1 week later , back ground check put a 5 day hold on a 12 ga purchase. Wonder why! We find out in 5 days and see if he gets the bad boy 12ga.

bsnyder413

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Hammond
    bang bang, when i called i was told they are processing denials from september. that was the last week of december. hold your breath on the 5 days unless you call everyday and are consistent, respectful and firm!! on the third day i talked with a good ol boy from west virginia that moved my appeal up for me. the previous two days i was treated like a felon by two different women and told to wait my turn

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    bang bang, when i called i was told they are processing denials from september. that was the last week of december. hold your breath on the 5 days unless you call everyday and are consistent, respectful and firm!! on the third day i talked with a good ol boy from west virginia that moved my appeal up for me. the previous two days i was treated like a felon by two different women and told to wait my turn

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as purchase goes, if they fail to respond in the time limit the purchase can go through without an official yes.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    That article is all over the state today. Indy Star and Columbus Republic had it. No where did it indicate volume. I'm guesisng volume has almost doubled in last few years...that mixed with Kirk's comments. I think its obvious. The article tries to make it sound like more criminals are trying to get licenses or something. I don't know the purpose of that 'news' beyond that.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Understand this just because one applies does not automatically qualify them. You are assuming this a plot on the part of the State to deny well qualified applicants.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Many of these "criminal records" are not exactly what they purport to be.

Pushing a loudmouth down on his sitzmark in a bar in small town Indiana in 1971 after doing your tour in Vietnam=battery=night in jail and $25 fine by the Justice of the Peace (pre-1977 recodification so JPs were still around).

This "battery conviction" morphs into a "domestic battery" in 2012 as the clerk keying it in typed "domestic" instead of just "battery". LE was looking at incorrect records, computers still rely on human entry.

Oh, recently had a guy denied because of an ancient Possession of Fireworks misdemeanor. Apparently someone thought it was some sort of illegal use of explosives offense. My hairline went back even further after that one!

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as purchase goes, if they fail to respond in the time limit the purchase can go through without an official yes.

I believe this is true. IIRC, the time limit is 5 business days. If they do not deny you in that time frame, and let the FFL who called it in know, then you are approved. I am sure that someone with an FFL will be along to confirm or deny this shortly.

I never had any problem getting my LTCH, but buying firearms seems to be hit-and-miss. Whether it is handguns or longguns, I seem to get immediately approved on some days and then get the waiting period on other days. I am not sure what the reasoning is behind it, but I always get approved (eventually)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Maybe some people should try their luck in Illinois. :rolleyes:

:laugh::lmfao::lol2::rofl:

The People's Republic of Illinois has been ordered by the Supreme Court to develop a program for concealed carry permit issuance. It shouldn't take them more than 20 years to do so and will probably not require more than a $10,000,000 cash liability bond. (The bond will, of course, be waived for Party Members.)

Similar to New York's law, convicted felons will be exempt from prosecution due to Fifth Amendment considerations.

Top Bottom