• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm keeping my Windows 7 machine running. Just applying security patches. Once that machine is done, I'll be off Microsoft entirely.

If you want to protect your Windows 7/8/8.1 machine, you should download and run the following utility which will protect you from Win10 upgrades.

GWX Control Panel

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    The first thing I aways do on a new windows installation is turn off automatic updates.
    I hate to come in to work and find half of my programs not working due to some stupid update.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I work in IT. Not all of our clients have the windows updates restrictions... in other words, I'm going to start getting the calls for "um... i'm on windows 10 and none of my software works anymore" I'm going to be hating life for a while...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm keeping my Windows 7 machine running. Just applying security patches. Once that machine is done, I'll be off Microsoft entirely.

If you want to protect your Windows 7/8/8.1 machine, you should download and run the following utility which will protect you from Win10 upgrades.

GWX Control Panel

+11 This tool is awesome.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I just looked at the goods to build a computer. About 12 years ago I succeeded with some guidance at building one from assorted surplus and used parts which was good enough for my needs. Looking at the stuff for sale, I wouldn't know where to begin, although I have decided that Zorin looks like an attractive version of Linux to try.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I just looked at the goods to build a computer. About 12 years ago I succeeded with some guidance at building one from assorted surplus and used parts which was good enough for my needs. Looking at the stuff for sale, I wouldn't know where to begin, although I have decided that Zorin looks like an attractive version of Linux to try.
    There are so many distros available, all of which have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of finding one that you're comfortable with, and running with it. Personally i'm a fan of Debian based distros like Mint and the many different Ubuntu's out there. I was hooked after running my first apt-get....

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There are so many distros available, all of which have their own strengths and weaknesses. It's a matter of finding one that you're comfortable with, and running with it. Personally i'm a fan of Debian based distros like Mint and the many different Ubuntu's out there. I was hooked after running my first apt-get....

Now that I am waxing nostalgic, at a time when the Pentium 4 was the processor of the day, I had a job where I came in contact with quite a bit of surplussed out office equipment and came into possession of a Pentium III machine with a damaged case. Bear in mind that at the time I didn't have 2 nickels to rub together that weren't spend before I got them. I found a new scratch/dent case, and used the parts from that Pentium III along with some other odds and ends to build a good enough for me at the time computer with the help of the security guy who was working security after the market for programmers got really thin. He taught me a lot, and in return, I demonstrated to him that a claw hammer can be used constructively to work on a computer. As it were, the new case did not have the risers for the motherboard and the risers on the old case were integral with the stamping--or were they? I saw some fine lines and came to the conclusion that they were separate but pressed in, and put screws in them and drove them out with a hammer. I had enough of those little screws availble to screw the motherboard down to one side and the case to the other with one from each end of the riser. After finishing all that, installing XP was a breeze. Oh, I even though I had only two memory slots, I manage to find 2 256 memory sticks for a whopping big 512 megs of RAM, and thought I had really accomplished something!

Anyway, I was just looking at components and it was like turning Commodore Decatur loose on an aircraft carrier! Oh well, no big hurry!

As for Zorin, it is derived from Debian with roots in Ubuntu, but has the virtue of making a Windows 7 user like Yours Truly feel at home in a way that most incarnations of Linux probably won't.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I have all kinds of old parts lying around. Hell, my current home server is running server2012 and rockin an old AMD Tri-core plus it's sitting in an old cube computer case that was getting trashed.... It runs my DNS/DHCP/Domain and a run a game server for me and a couple of friends... I don't need some screamin hardcore server hardware... I kinda like the challenge of seeing what parts I have and seeing what OS I can get running on the frankenputer i just built... even if it's a linux core distro. Not that I'm at all skilled in CLI for linux yet...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I rescued m'lady from the 10 nagware, and I'll have to firewall the naziware version for her and the 13 y/o. The 20 y/o is in the don't care cage, so I'll let him marinate. I have one box left on 7 myself to run a 3D printer and a die cutter until I can overcome my laziness and get them in under Wine. Otherwise, I no longer remember how long it's been since I booted under windoze. M$ can bite the wax tadpole.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

Our Governor has pretty much ruined the image of Indiana to outsiders. I deal with people from all over the country and when I say I'm from Indiana it gets a bit awkward. Outsiders view us as backwoods hillbillies who hate people who aren't white Christians. All because of our Governor and legislature. When the Governor has to hire a PR firm to fix our image and then hires a firm from OUTSIDE OF OUR STATE that's a total slap in the face of Hoosiers.

Personally I hope he's a "one and done" Governor.

And yes, go buy a Mac.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Our Governor has pretty much ruined the image of Indiana to outsiders. I deal with people from all over the country and when I say I'm from Indiana it gets a bit awkward. Outsiders view us as backwoods hillbillies who hate people who aren't white Christians. All because of our Governor and legislature. When the Governor has to hire a PR firm to fix our image and then hires a firm from OUTSIDE OF OUR STATE that's a total slap in the face of Hoosiers.

Personally I hope he's a "one and done" Governor.

And yes, go buy a Mac.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Indiana has always had the rep of a backwards state. Getting the Colts only improved our image to a certain sector of people. In the USMC as far back as the 70's I used to tell people I was from Chicago to avoid the stigma of "backwoods hillbillies". You could move the Louvre to Indianapolis and we would still be viewed as "backwoods hillbillies". So I don't think this governor has done that much damage to our reputation.

ArmedNerds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Behind a keyboard
    I use both OS X and Windows 8.1 here at my place, and both have their uses. But I have to do obscenely more things with Windows to get it to work to my liking. Turn off automatic updates, disconnect from an Outlook.com connected account, turn off User Account Control, and on and on and on. With OS X the only thing I had to do was turn off the setting for only running software from the App Store (you can indeed run software from outside the App Store on a Mac, look it up).

And as for our fair governor, while he's not done much to damage our rep, he certainly hasn't helped.

Top Bottom