Hopefully Carry at Purdue in the Future?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Here's an article from today's Exponent. I looked quickly around INGO to see if it had already been posted, but I didn't see it, so here ya' go...

PSG senator to propose concealed carry legislation - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Hopefully this all eventually gets passed. It would be nice to be able to carry without fear of repercussions by Purdue. I don't necessarily agree with the training requirement, BUT if it helps get our foot in the door, so be it... It's better than what it is now.

Thoughts?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Thanks for the post! Sounds like folks up in West Lafayette are working hard.

This quote from the Purdue Police Chief got a big :rolleyes: out of me:
    “When we get that 911 call and we send two to three uniformed officers and there are two or three guys shooting at each other, who’s the bad guy?” he said. “Our officers are trained to eliminate the threat. When there’s chaos, the officers aren’t going to know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy.
    So, let's restrict everyone's rights and leave the good guys (and gals) defenseless, so your job is easier? Good grief.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks for the post! Sounds like folks up in West Lafayette are working hard.

This quote from the Purdue Police Chief got a big :rolleyes: out of me:

So, let's restrict everyone's rights and leave the good guys (and gals) defenseless, so your job is easier? Good grief.

Yeah, I was less than pleased with that quote too. I may be totally wrong, but I (no offense to any LEOs) would think that it's not going to be like some war scene where the students and BGs are exchanging fire for a long period of time, but that by the time the police are informed and get there, it very well could be over?? Not saying they have slow response, but that I would just expect it to happen rather quickly. I would think the odds of the police coming in in the middle of a firefight are rather slim. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When there’s chaos, the officers aren’t going to know who’s the good guy and who’s the bad guy.

In order to benefit the officers I hereby demand that Chief Cox forbid PUPD officers from carrying off duty.

Better yet, to avoid the situation that Chief Cox complains of, I hereby demand that PUPD be disarmed, for the children and everyone's safety. If police do not have guns, then they cannot shoot the innocent. Problem solved, Chief Cox. Got any other problems I can solve for ya?:D

Can anyone please give me an example of the police shooting (not the guy in Canton, Ohio) a legal gun carrier during a fight or in the aftermath of a fight?

Last edited:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    "In the same February interview, Cox said though everyone has the right to bear arms, schools and other public places have a right to regulate."

What a maroon!! Schools and other public places are inanimate, nonliving objects. They have NO rights.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I have a son at Purdue and one thinking about it I would like for them to be able to protect them self's and not have to worry about being caught. it all goes back to a few bad apples mess it up for all the rest of us. Plus I never thought about it but when I go up there am I breaking the law too. Opps

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I have a son at Purdue and one thinking about it I would like for them to be able to protect them self's and not have to worry about being caught. it all goes back to a few bad apples mess it up for all the rest of us. Plus I never thought about it but when I go up there am I breaking the law too. Opps

You're not breaking the law. The only thing you are doing, if you carry on campus, is violating Purdue's rules. They can only ask you to leave if they find out you're carrying. They can't have you arrested unless you refuse to leave their property.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Purdue would probably be better off by just saying , we follow state law.
    If they make more requirements for a "purdue" permit what happens if someone screws up?
    like the idiots who shot their friend as a joke? If they had a "campus" permit and still did a stupid act with a gun.. could Purdue get sued over it?

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Here's an article from today's Exponent. I looked quickly around INGO to see if it had already been posted, but I didn't see it, so here ya' go...

PSG senator to propose concealed carry legislation - Purdue Exponent: Campus

Hopefully this all eventually gets passed. It would be nice to be able to carry without fear of repercussions by Purdue. I don't necessarily agree with the training requirement, BUT if it helps get our foot in the door, so be it... It's better than what it is now.

Thoughts?

I would love to see it happen. I was at U of Iowa back when the grad student went nuts...and shot up the science bldg. If one person had been carrying, lives could and SHOULD have been saved.

I really HATE not being able to carry at work.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

if you don't work here, or go to school here, you aren't breaking anything. I wouldn't put it past Purdue to fire an employee that is caught carrying, however.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    In order to benefit the officers I hereby demand that Chief Cox forbid PUPD officers from carrying off duty.

Better yet, to avoid the situation that Chief Cox complains of, I hereby demand that PUPD be disarmed, for the children and everyone's safety. If police do not have guns, then they cannot shoot the innocent. Problem solved, Chief Cox. Got any other problems I can solve for ya?:D

Can anyone please give me an example of the police shooting (not the guy in Canton, Ohio) a legal gun carrier during a fight or in the aftermath of a fight?

That idiot says his officers are trained to eliminate the threat. so if his officers stumbled across a shooting in progress, would they shoot everyone before making a threat assesment what is going on? I will let ingo know if this PSG meeting is open to the public. could anyone attend?

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This would get momentum the year after I leave. I tried getting into the aviation student council and another friend from ROTC tried for PSG, but neither of us made it. It's awesome to see someone working towards this regardless.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    That idiot says his officers are trained to eliminate the threat. so if his officers stumbled across a shooting in progress, would they shoot everyone before making a threat assesment what is going on? I will let ingo know if this PSG meeting is open to the public. could anyone attend?

I sent a Facebook message to the PSG rep who is presenting this bill telling him I was very pleased to see that he was working on it and yada, yada, yada. He told me to feel free to come tonight at 7pm in Krannert G018. I'm not sure whether it is open to just students or to the public also??

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Interesting that the PUPD is incapable of determining GG vs BG, but no other officers are. I propose that LPD, WLPD, ISP, and the other area police agencies provide mandatory training to PUPD LEOs to address this deficiency.

While I understand that the good Senator is attempting to show that he is reasonable and willing to meet them halfway to address their concerns, he fails to realize that by compromising rights and conceding this point, he may actually get the bill passed, but will at the same time sow the seeds for "reasonable gun laws" (which is a codeword for "gun control".) These, admittedly, can be fought later, but are unlikely to be "allowed" to be removed. Given a choice of passing the bill with that limitation vs not passing it at all, I think this is the right move. Our rights should never have to be compromised, and it's a crying shame that the climate at an institute of higher education is so hostile to right-thinking people and the rights of all people to defend themselves.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    I would love to see it happen. I was at U of Iowa back when the grad student went nuts...and shot up the science bldg. If one person had been carrying, lives could and SHOULD have been saved.

I really HATE not being able to carry at work.

I hate it too. We have had several layoffs in the past five years along with furloughs, and temporary(yeah, right) pay decreases. It isn't inconceivable to me that when half the staff is now RIF'd and the rest are earning less and taking unpaid company mandated time off that a disgruntled employee wouldn't come back in will ill intentions.

I would carry at work anyway if not for making sure I kept my job so I can feed my kids.

Top Bottom