.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    praise the lord

They are alive!

One house with all the kids is gone, down to the slab and the parents house is missing part of the roof and one wall. They just got to the basement as the parents house was hit. They had no time to spare

The worst injuries are cuts from blowing glass and debris. Three neigbors are dead and about 50 went to the hospital. Just down the road, they say it looks like a vacuum cleaned out the place.

The warning on the TV was 3 minutes before it hit. They looked out, and ran to the parents house because it had a basement. They said in an email that the tornado was huge and parts of homes, and other stuff was spinning with the tornado as it came at them.

They said the local hospital got slammed with 500 injured within 45 minutes.

I assume the "one house with all the kids is gone" line really means the house where they lived. Not that the lids left with it. Otherwise you wouldn't be so cheerful. Glad yours are safe. Lucky ones, they are.:yesway:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Glad they are alive and ok...that is the most important part. Rebuilding will take a while, but they have their health and that means a lot.

I've lived through a tornado (missed our house, but hit the building I was in) and they are one of the most scarey experiences I know of.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So glad to hear they got out. I just watched that video and it brought chills. Tornadoes scare me to death. Not a thing you can do about them. That was ONE WIDE AND LONG tornado too. Scary stuff too. I think it should be a requirement that all homes should be made with basements. :) We don't have one in this house and I don't like that because we also have no real safe place to go. No inner rooms on the first floor.
    In-ground aftermarket shelters are big business down here. They're not all that expensive, considering the alternatives.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'm glad to hear your family is ok Longbow.

So glad to hear they got out. I just watched that video and it brought chills. Tornadoes scare me to death. Not a thing you can do about them. That was ONE WIDE AND LONG tornado too. Scary stuff too. I think it should be a requirement that all homes should be made with basements. :) We don't have one in this house and I don't like that because we also have no real safe place to go. No inner rooms on the first floor.
    I agree with you Spasmo. We have on small inner space in the event of servere weather. After watching some of the video after the storm in the South, I'm convinced our space is inadequate in the event of a strong tornado.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I am glad to hear that your family made it through this disaster alive. Seeing the awesome power of these storms humbles us, as we pray for the victims.

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Does anyone know the percentage of homes down there had basements? Of course I know lots of houses here don't have basements here but with so many deaths down there I can only imagine its a very low number.

Top Bottom