• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    I recently received a box of these light bullets for the 45-70 and hoped to try them over the weekend. Unfortunately, I found that my Hornady manual does not list loads for this bullet. Has anyone found an effective load for this bullet, especially in the Marlin 1895? I welcome any experiences anyone can share.
    Jim

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Are you planning to load them full-length, or are you looking for an Indiana-legal deer recipe?

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Are you planning to load them full-length, or are you looking for an Indiana-legal deer recipe?

These are for hunting in a "rifle" state, so full-length.

I did look up the loading data for the Barnes 250 gr copper bullet and used that data as a guide. I put together some loads from this data, working up to the max load and watching for pressure signs. The bullets grouped very well at 100 and 200 yds, about as well as the 325 gr Hornady, but noticeably flatter. Recoil was substantial at the 2600 fps load level, but manageable. I have the Hornady 9th Ed. Manual on order and will look up their loads, but this bullet is going hunting with me next month!
    Jim

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Very good, Jim...sounds like you've got this handled! :)

Where are you going to hunt that allows rifles? Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I sighted in the rifles (270 and 30-'06) that we'll use in Michigan next month. I already knew my 270 was "on", but wanted to make sure the reduced recoil loads (125gr BT and H4895) were hitting where they should. Her first three shot were in a horizontal group about 2" low and 1" right. 12 clicks later, she put three in a 1.5" group, exactly 1" above her POA. All set!

Good luck on your hunt and be sure to let us know how that 250gr Monoflex bullets work for ya.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The Hornady 9th Edition calls for a case trim length of 2.040 with the 250gr Monoflex and a OAL of 2.587. The powders listed are IMR 4895, H4198, Norma 200, Viht N-130, RL-7, Accurate 2015. If you are using any of those powders PM me and I'll tell you the load ranges they listed.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Broom_jm
    I will be hunting in MN (where I am originally from) and later in KS.

Bstewrat3
    Thanks for the info. I has compared the 250 gr monoflex to the 325 gr FTX and they were almost exact ally the same length. As a result, I trimmed my brass to the 2.040 you noted and as specified in the data for the 325gr FTX

One problem I have noted, with the shorter brass, my Lee crimp die does not work. I may need to buy another crimp die and have it machined down for the shorter brass of the Hornady loads.

Top Bottom