• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    140gr ELD M out of 6.5CM has shot lights out for me in my gun. Just about any load has shot under MOA

178gr ELD X in my 308 did not shoot well. Most loads around 2MOA then I ran out of bullets to try. Gave up and went to 168 ELD M but haven’t loaded any up yet

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hello, does anyone have experience with Hornady ELD-M vs ELD-X bullets? Particularly in .308 Remington. Thank you.
    For what purpose? One is a match bullet, the other is supposed to be a hunting bullet. They're both probably accurate enough for all but the most serious competition. Using the match bullet for hunting has a high potential to produce poor results.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    For what purpose? One is a match bullet, the other is supposed to be a hunting bullet. They're both probably accurate enough for all but the most serious competition. Using the match bullet for hunting has a high potential to produce poor results.
    Does it though? I haven’t watched these videos in awhile but I believe with rifle rounds at high velocity it doesn’t seem to matter too much. Atleast on game we’d find in Indians. I’ll have to rewatch these tomorrow.

Claymore1702

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Good morning. I am currently using the 155 grain ELD-M loaded by Black Hills (Gold loading). The terminal ballistics and accuracy are top notch (in that order). The limited penetration and almost immediate upset is ideal for our purposes. Having great difficulty in locating large quantities of that round. So I am investigating the ELD-X to see if it meets accuracy standards. It seems to have more penetration/weight retention. Not ideal, but possibly acceptable.

I appreciate the input. Thank you

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Does it though? I haven’t watched these videos in awhile but I believe with rifle rounds at high velocity it doesn’t seem to matter too much. Atleast on game we’d find in Indians. I’ll have to rewatch these tomorrow.

I see nothing there to cause me to modify my statement. If anything, the relatively poor performance of both in gel, makes the ELD-X look more suspect than I already thought.

Can match bullets kill? Without a doubt.

Do you run a higher risk of catastrophic failure or less than adequate performance? Absolutely.

Is there any reason to take the risk or advantage to using match bullets? Not that I can see.

For comparison, here's video of the performance of a real hunting bullet shot into gel. It is a .308 vs. the 6.5 above but it is also a far tougher bullet designed for near 100% weight retention and deep penetration. Notice how much more violently the first block reacts, the significantly larger temporary wound channel and how much more deeply it penetrates. The interesting parts begin at about the 1:17 mark.

Claymore1702

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2022
    Fort Wayne
    Good afternoon. I just got off the phone with Hornady technical services. The differences between the ELD-M and ELD-X are the X is an overall harder projectile. It has a thicker jacket, and an interlock ring to aid/increase weight retention. The Hornady representative stated that quality control standards are the same for M series and X series.
    The representative was very knowledgable and helpful.

Top Bottom