• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    so Im in the market for a new progressive press. and the hornady really has my attention i would love some home town INGO reviews.

I guess its between that and 550b or 650 dillion suprise suprise.... but that has been beat to death

I have done a ton of loading on a 550b of my father inlaws and it is good but I really want auto index just because to me its not progressive with out it. also would like the 5th station for some sort of powder check. I have seen squibs from him loading on the 550b. but also my main powder is titegroup very small loads so i could easily double charge and im not sure i would be able to see it in a case so a powder check system is on my list.

main question

how has your L-N-L AP treated you?

imjammin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had a 550 and now use a Hornady L-N-L AP. The dillon was a good press, but I really like the Hornady better. I like the auto index, between that and a powder cop die I have not had any load problems. The Hornady is a great press, customer service has been the same as with my 550, GREAT!! Can't really lose either way.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Had one. The press was well made and trouble free. Never got used to running as full progressive, and liked my turrets better so I sold it. Also could never get the kind of consistency I wanted with the powder hopper it came with.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Love the LNL... I've had it since October of last year and have loaded about 2 or 3 thousand rounds at the least and it works incredibly great. I really like the bushing system, the powder measure is spot on and it is build like a tank...I'd easily recommend it to anyone.

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    LNL works really well for me. Lee dies and I use the Lee powder measure on some calibers. Compliments my Lee classic turret press really well.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    great i was in stl over the weekend and stopped in at graf so i was able to lay hands on it also. not just read about it.

i think this thread has sealed the deal

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I really like mine LNL-AP. Over time I have added a case feed and just this week a RCBS .22 rifle bullet feed. This thing cranks out the rounds.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The only thing I will add to this is to remember to buy some sort of degreaser, like Hornady's One Shot; they pack everything up to ship and give it a light coating of oil and it all has to be cleaned off before using it. I ran to the hardware store and bought a can of electrical connector degreaser and another can of dry lube but the One Shot cleaner/lube from Hornady actually does both. their dies come packed in the same light oil and need to be cleaned but it's not really that big of a deal. The DVD that comes with the press is actually pretty good and I used it several times to help guide me through the setup process.

Let us know when you make your decision and drop a pic or two when you get your set up in place!

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I guess I'm the only one to have a problem with a lock n load press. I bought it back in October and have made about 50 rounds total out of it. The main issue is the timing. When you pull that handle the shell plate rotates every time and if that plate does NOT stop perfectly bad things happen. The manual states right out of the box you should not have to mess with the 2 pawls that control timing but, alas mine was out of time. It is true that Hornady's customer service is very nice. I have been on the phone, waiting on parts, back on the phone numerous times, and again waiting for parts. Finally after I've had it with the press, they decided to have UPS pick it up on their dime, and find out why it won't work. They told me either my press will be fixed or e new one would be replacing it. That part makes me happy but I would rather be using it! Someone mentioned the index system and I feel it is poorly designed. That star wheel adjuster on the bottom of the ram has a hefty slot cut into it and will always break where they hogged out the steel for that pin. I suggested to them that if they cut splines they could get rid of the pin and make that wheel stronger. The 2 little pawls are a whole other issue in my book. Would I buy it again, YES. I feel for the money there isn'y anything better for what it is supposed to do. And they are taking care of the problem although it has taken awhile. Meanwhile, my old Lee turret is trying to keep up with the demand.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I guess I'm the only one to have a problem with a lock n load press.

Sorry that you're the one. I'm glad Hornady is trying to make it right for you.

I've had mine for a few months and have built only a few hundred rounds with it. Bread 'n butter stuff: .308, .30-06, .223. The biggest problem I've had is with my powder selection. Extruded powder doesn't lend itself to consistent measuring (as has been well documented on this forum before), and therefore doesn't lead to consistent loads if you go full progressive on this press.

Beyond that, I like it better than the RCBS Progressive I had years ago.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My only beef with this press is that the shell holder screw keeps loosening up on me. It's more of an inconvenience more than anything. Other than that, I love it!

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    Love my LNL AP. I picked mine up used a few months back. It did have a timing issue, but it was very easy to correct. Very nice press and I would buy one again.

ridetoslide

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I was just notified by Hornady that warranty was processed and back on its way. Should arrive on Monday. Looking at their packing slip it's hard to tell if my press was rebuilt or I'm getting a new one. Really don't care either way I just want big red to kick out some ammo! So to the original poster, if you go the Hornady way, rest assured as I can testify to the fact that they will literally bend over backwards to make sure your equipment will do what they say it will do. As others here have said this press is great and my research led me to it, every now and then there is bound to be a problem child. They handled my problem with the highest professionalism and that means a lot to me.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Would buy my LNL again. After a particularly rough batch of 30-06 resizing, I had to make a minor adjustment to one pawl to get the timing back to perfect. Glad it is adjustable rather than buying new parts. Also, when I bought the press I bought two extra pawls and a three pack of the springs that hold the cases into the shell plate as reviews stated them to be the weak spot. Had to change out one spring, still on the original pawls.

My press came with two large primer pick-up tubes instead of one small and one large. That's my only time with Hornady CS, but they sent out a new tube immediately and no questions asked.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have been using the L-N-L for over a year now and am very happy with it. I had to tweak the timing also, it may have been my fault due to set up issues and not paying attention. I made a case feeder for it that works very well and now I can crank out a couple hundred rounds of 9mm within 45 minutes to an hour. I would buy one again.
    Here is a link to a video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jx749jtUQQ

Last edited:
    Top Bottom