• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Let me start by saying I decided to get a progressive reloader because I began shooting IDPA and USPSA - 9mm. I was not new to reloading, but had only had a single stage press. I did a TON of research. Notwithstanding price, the Hornady LnL was comparable to the Dillon 650 when looking at the number of die stations, powder measure, case feeder, etc. per the literature each provides. I decided to purchase the Hornady LnL press because it was less expensive and I fell into a deal on a used but “new” case feeder. I liked the idea of being able to change over from one caliber to the next by switching out the dies using the Hornady bushings. The switch from small to large primers was easy and the powder measure provides large and small metering change over pretty easily. I loaded about 10,000 rounds over a 3 year period of time. The press ran well for me with two exceptions: I could never get the case feeder to work smoothly. Believe me, I looked at every YouTube video I could find and called Hornady. Never did discover a “fix”. I would say the case feeder worked correctly about 60% of the time. I.e. 6 out of 10 cases dropped and were fed properly on to the shell plate without me having to make an adjustment by hand. The second “issue” I found problematic was the primer feed. It worked well most of the time. However, when it failed to feed a primer into position there was no way of knowing until the powder spilled onto the shell plate. A Dillon alarm was said to be modifiable to catch the low primer status, but it wouldn’t correct the failure to feed the primer when that occurred. There was an INGOER who did an extensive review on set up, running, and trouble shooting a couple years ago. (That INGOER was an engineer and he eventually sold his Hornady due to the problems I experienced.)

I sold the Hornady to someone but still have some of the extras left. (If you end up getting a Hornady contact me as I my still have some of the extras you may want/need) I got about 65% of my original cost back. They are not the easiest to sell because there are significantly fewer Hornady reloaders owned. A survey of IDPA shooters at the national championship for the past 3 years reveals over 85% of the shooters who reload use a Dillon.

After I sold the Hornady I waited several months to try to find a used Dillon 650. They donÂ’t come up for sale very often and when they do they sell quickly and at about 90% or more of a new one. I found a used but barely used Dillon, 4 sets of dies and conversion kits, 2,000 empty .223 brass plus several hundred .45 acp, 9mm, and .38 spl cases plus some other odds and ends. Additional items that I also got included the strong mount, the powder checker and low primer sensor, and roller handle - all of which are extra over the cost plain press. My purchase price was $900 which also included the case feeder.

Re: the pros and cons of the Dillon. It is more expensive but it has a much better resale value and market acceptance than the Hornady. I personally think the case feeder AND the primer feeder are both superior to the Hornady. Additionally, the leverage system of the Dillon feels much better to me so I give the Dillon a plus in the ergonomics category as well. DillonÂ’s reputation for customer service and no BS warranty is legendary. I know several Dillon owners who speak anecdotally about the replacement parts and service provided by Dillon so I believe it to be accurate. I had a minor issue and Dillon sent me a free replacement part without issue even though the part broke due to my operator error as I was learning to use the press. If the prices for each were the same there wouldnÂ’t even be a discussion. Dillon would win hands down. When you factor in price Hornady gets a check mark in that column - but IMO the addÂ’l cost is offset by the Dillon usability, reliability, warranty, and resaleability. If youÂ’re into loading rifle for accuracy I keep the single stage press. Use the progressive for production work.

If you want to get a hands on demonstration of a Dillon and youÂ’re willing to travel to Zionsville you can take a look at mine. There is also a retailer in Shelbyville that sells Dillon reloaders that getsgood reviews from INGOERS. Good luck with your search.

I've been shooting IDPA/USPSA for over 15 years now. I have heard MANY competitors switch to Dillon. I've never heard someone say they sold their Dillon and switched to something else. The only time I see competitors selling their Dillon is to step up into a bigger Dillon, and even then most hang on to their old press for their low-volume stuff or to use for a different size primer, etc...

-rvb

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’ve had both 550 and 650. I almost regret getting rid of the 550. I load a bit more than you, but not by much. In all honesty, I would have been better served adding a case feeder to my 550. I much prefer the 550 priming system and resetting things when I screw something up is much easier with manual indexing. The manual indexing really doesn’t add much to the process as your hand is already right there while setting a bullet. Conversions are also about half the price for the 550.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I'm a current LNL owner who went through much of the same questioning as you are. My primary reason for not going with the Dillon was the cost, especially when you start adding in numerous caliber conversions. I do like the concept of the breech loading adapters and the ability to only install a single die in the press if needed (like for decapping and sizing bottle neck cartridges before trimming to length). That said, I have had issues with the breech lock adapters backing out and then the die lifts out of the press, rather than doing its job. I do like the 5th die hole, as I've been using a bullet feeder die with tubes. This combination lets me go fast, but because it isn't easy to see into the case before the bullet is placed. With these 2 issues, I recently had a significant problem where the powder drop did just this, and I created way too many cartridges w/o powder, unfortunately dropping them into the bucket of 400 previously assembled cartridges. Yeah, it is my fault for not paying close enough attention, and I hope I've learned, but I'm beginning to feel like I have to fiddle with the press as I did w/ my previous Lee equipment. It is making me wish I had went with the Dillon and paid the extra $300.

Although I'm about 75 miles from you in Lafayette, if you want to see the Hornady run or try it w/ your components give me a holler. Heck, if you decide you really like it, I may even be open to selling it and moving to blue myself.
    --Rick

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've got a Hornady LNL and a Dillon 550. I really want to upgrade to a 650 or 1050 though. When the time comes after I move next I'll decide between the two. But I'd go 650 over the Hornady if it were my money regardless of how much I reloaded.

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    LNL OR DILLON?

Both are great machines. Either would serve you well but don't forget the 550. My LGS recommended the 550 and he was right. I bought one and I am completely satisfied!!!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’m back and forth, but I think I’m set on Dillon from all the advice. I almost jumped on a 500 I saw from Bobcat all setup, but thinking... I’m prob gonna regret not getting the 650 if I get the 550, even it’s it easier. I’m bad with buyers remorse from it comes to “I could have spent a bit more and gotten...”

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I’m back and forth, but I think I’m set on Dillon from all the advice. I almost jumped on a 500 I saw from Bobcat all setup, but thinking... I’m prob gonna regret not getting the 650 if I get the 550, even it’s it easier. I’m bad with buyers remorse from it comes to “I could have spent a bit more and gotten...”

MY OPINION is that the 650 is a *safer* choice. You don't have to worry about forgetting to advance the shell plate since it is an auto indexing system. Seems to me that you can get into trouble easier with double charges with the 550. I know the 550 owners will disagree, and I can't say I know this for a fact, it is just my way of thinking.

I am VERY glad I went with the XL650 and case feeder. Money well-spent. Buy one, cry once...

I'm not saying the 550 is a bad machine, far from it.

I have a different tool head setup for each caliber I load on the XL650, each with their own power measures. Makes caliber changes a snap especially if you don't have to change the primer size. Obviously, test the charge weight after a swap, but it is usually pretty close, even after sitting for a while.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    MY OPINION is that the 650 is a *safer* choice. You don't have to worry about forgetting to advance the shell plate since it is an auto indexing system. Seems to me that you can get into trouble easier with double charges with the 550. I know the 550 owners will disagree, and I can't say I know this for a fact, it is just my way of thinking.

I am VERY glad I went with the XL650 and case feeder. Money well-spent. Buy one, cry once...

I'm not saying the 550 is a bad machine, far from it.

I have a different tool head setup for each caliber I load on the XL650, each with their own power measures. Makes caliber changes a snap especially if you don't have to change the primer size. Obviously, test the charge weight after a swap, but it is usually pretty close, even after sitting for a while.

I was thinking the same on the safety. If it gets hung up, I don’t mind taking the sucker apart. Not looking to produce 2k per session with no hang ups. I like my lee classic turret press mostly because no possibility of accidental double charges on pistol. Just listed it for sale and think I’ve settled on the XL650. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice!

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I was thinking the same on the safety. If it gets hung up, I don’t mind taking the sucker apart. Not looking to produce 2k per session with no hang ups. I like my lee classic turret press mostly because no possibility of accidental double charges on pistol. Just listed it for sale and think I’ve settled on the XL650. Thanks for everyone’s help and advice!

You won’t hate the 650. Real nice. FWIW, I’d keep the Lee turret. Mine sits next to the 650. For what I could sell it for, it’s awesome for small reloading tasks.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    You won’t hate the 650. Real nice. FWIW, I’d keep the Lee turret. Mine sits next to the 650. For what I could sell it for, it’s awesome for small reloading tasks.

100% agree! I keep my LCT setup and normally keep a decapping die setup so if my decapping die in the XL650 misses popping out a primer, I can pop it out really quickly without having to screw up the rest of the process.

I also use it for small batches and load development, case "bulge busting" with my Redding G-Rx die, etc.

Definitely worth keeping the LCT press. You'll wish you had kept it if you get rid of it, I guarantee it!

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Kind of exposes the majority of the comments on this thread for the BS they are. I'm the only one here who has admitted to actually owning both presses the OP has questioned and made a decision based on experience. Even then I advise to try both and choose the one that fits you best ergonomically. Most others seem to be absorbed with nothing more than brand supremacy.

Goodcat, by all means read all 18 pages of the link but still make your own educated decision. After all you'r the one who has to be satisfied.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Kind of exposes the majority of the comments on this thread for the BS they are. I'm the only one here who has admitted to actually owning both presses the OP has questioned and made a decision based on experience. Even then I advise to try both and choose the one that fits you best ergonomically. Most others seem to be absorbed with nothing more than brand supremacy.

Goodcat, by all means read all 18 pages of the link but still make your own educated decision. After all you'r the one who has to be satisfied.

Apparently you didn’t read ALL the threads OR your short term memory is bad. I stated I have owned both a Hornady LNL AND a Dillon 650.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Apparently you didn’t read ALL the threads OR your short term memory is bad. I stated I have owned both a Hornady LNL AND a Dillon 650.
    The point was to have owned both and still advise to get the one that feels the best for the individual rather than let a voice on the inter webs make the decision. You seem to have not gotten that part. Not everyone can be happy with the same thing. If that was the case there would be no need for competition or a free market and what a boring life it would be.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    The point was to have owned both and still advise to get the one that feels the best for the individual rather than let a voice on the inter webs make the decision. You seem to have not gotten that part. Not everyone can be happy with the same thing. If that was the case there would be no need for competition or a free market and what a boring life it would be.

I think a few of us said to try out both and see which one works best for for the OP. Actually, I just counted, and there were 3 people that specifically said to try both (besides you), and 3 people who said they had *both* a LnL and a Dillon, so apparently you weren't the only one. Hmmmmmm...

The OP asked us to talk him into one or the other. Since most people don't have both (except maybe the 3 people on this thread that replied that they did), they can only recommend what they have, and comment as to whether they like what they have or not. Otherwise, this thread would be empty except for you 3 super stars.

I hope you don't need surgery on that arm from patting yourself on the back too hard... :):

Top Bottom