• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am going to stop by Cabela's tomorrow and use a couple of coupons to buy a Hornady LNL progress press. I am not going full AP, too much $$ for me right now.

I have been watching some videos and reading some. I was wondering how many people out there use a powder cop for your progressive presses? I am planning on buying a bullet feeder die for 9mm. Currently all of my dies are Lee Carbide 4 die sets.

Just to note, I am newer to reloading. I started 3 years ago on a RCBS Rock Chucker. I reload 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP & .223. I am wanting the progressive now that I have tasted USPSA matches. I have 2 small kids so I usually have to make my reloading time count. I will be keeping my RCBS for rifle rounds.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I hav an LNL and yes I use a powder cop depending on what I am loading. You can go faster with it but it sometimes is one die to many if you are using a 4 die set and a powder dropper. They work very well, you can test the sensitivity by putting a bit too much or too little powder in some test cases. IMO they are very useful in a progressive setup.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I agree with tactically fat! I want a hornady single stage, but I love my dillon progressive. Def talk with bobcat steel!

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I am going to stop by Cabela's tomorrow and use a couple of coupons to buy a Hornady LNL progress press. I am not going full AP, too much $$ for me right now.

I have been watching some videos and reading some. I was wondering how many people out there use a powder cop for your progressive presses? I am planning on buying a bullet feeder die for 9mm. Currently all of my dies are Lee Carbide 4 die sets.

Just to note, I am newer to reloading. I started 3 years ago on a RCBS Rock Chucker. I reload 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP & .223. I am wanting the progressive now that I have tasted USPSA matches. I have 2 small kids so I usually have to make my reloading time count. I will be keeping my RCBS for rifle rounds.

I have both a lnl and a dillion 650xl and side by side for usability, and more importantly reliably, the dillion wins hands down. So much so I'll probably start selling off parts of lnl when I get the time. I could never go 100 rounds without having to tinker with somthing and the case feeder never really ran reliable. Buying I to a press is like getting marrried: easy getting in and very costly to get out

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have both a lnl and a dillion 650xl and side by side for usability, and more importantly reliably, the dillion wins hands down. So much so I'll probably start selling off parts of lnl when I get the time. I could never go 100 rounds without having to tinker with somthing and the case feeder never really ran reliable. Buying I to a press is like getting marrried: easy getting in and very costly to get out

You are the second person that has said this. A friend of mine recently made the switch from the LNL AP to the 650. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have a $60 coupon to use by 12/24 and then about $50 in gift cards that are burning a whole in my pocket. From what I figure I could have the press for less than $300. Decisions, decisions.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm a Dillon guy, I have had Dillons too Low or too high powder buzzers since they came out. I have friends that have Cop, lockout dies, I particularly don't want a die that locks up my progressive presses when I'm operating them. The buzzer tells me that that station has a problem.
    Just the thought of cruising along with a 650 machine and all the sudden ( I assume on a upstroke ) the handle locks up.. Naaaaaaaaaaa not me..
    It just sounds violent...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You are the second person that has said this. A friend of mine recently made the switch from the LNL AP to the 650. I don't know what I'm going to do. I have a $60 coupon to use by 12/24 and then about $50 in gift cards that are burning a whole in my pocket. From what I figure I could have the press for less than $300. Decisions, decisions.

Do you shoot enough to justify the cost of a 5 station progressive ???

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Myself thinking about getting the 550 B. Not as fast but caliber change overs are easier are easier from what I'm understanding.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I also have both the XL650 and LNL AP on my bench. The LNL belongs to my buddy. I put it together for him and have tweaked on it ti get it to run as good as it does. He can't ever get it to run more than 100-200 rounds before I hear him fussing. He has put everything on it but the kitchen sink including the control station. He keeps saying that he is ready to drink the Blue Kool-Aid.

His press has the lockout die that buzzes and locks when things aren't correct. It is hit and miss at best. We already had to get new parts from Hornady because when the die locks up it will eventually booger up the steel balls in the die and will give false lock ups. When it locks up it screws up everyting including the powder drop.

I can load twice the amount of rounds on my press that he can, and he always has 20-50 rounds to be pulled when he is done loading.

Dillon cost more up front because of the conversion kits, tool head and powder die to change over from one size to another.

My suggestion to the OP is if you want to use the coupons that you have at Cabelas I would get the single stage RCBS Rock Chucker or the Hornady LNL Classic and save up your money for the XL650.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I also have both the XL650 and LNL AP on my bench. The LNL belongs to my buddy. I put it together for him and have tweaked on it ti get it to run as good as it does. He can't ever get it to run more than 100-200 rounds before I hear him fussing. He has put everything on it but the kitchen sink including the control station. He keeps saying that he is ready to drink the Blue Kool-Aid.

His press has the lockout die that buzzes and locks when things aren't correct. It is hit and miss at best. We already had to get new parts from Hornady because when the die locks up it will eventually booger up the steel balls in the die and will give false lock ups. When it locks up it screws up everyting including the powder drop.

I can load twice the amount of rounds on my press that he can, and he always has 20-50 rounds to be pulled when he is done loading.

Dillon cost more up front because of the conversion kits, tool head and powder die to change over from one size to another.

My suggestion to the OP is if you want to use the coupons that you have at Cabelas I would get the single stage RCBS Rock Chucker or the Hornady LNL Classic and save up your money for the XL650.

Thanks for the information. I already have a Rock Chucker.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm not sure.

I would suggest that you read, read, read and listen and really think about how much shooting you are really going to do. And that will tell you how much or how little machine you REALLY NEED. If its low volume maybe a single stage is all you need. For medium to large volume its tough to beat a Dillon 550b..
    Even if you are shooting a few thousand a month, a 550 will easily deliver your needs in a few short hours.
    When you upgrade to a larger 5 station machine your machine and conversion costs rise significantly. Look at your 4 station converion cost to your 5 station costs.
    Now if time is money to you, buy a huge multistation machine like Dillons 650 or 1050 machine.
    It's very easy to overbuy a semi or fully progressive machine, very easy.
    I've done it myself, I own a few Dillons and to be honest my largest the 650 only gets used a few times a year. But when my son and I put it in service we load say 5 to 10 thousand 9mm's in a few afternoons. I use my old 550 or a Rockchucker for just about everything.
    Also the it's super easy to run a 550 as a single stage press..
    Ask around and see if someone close to you has a machine or two you can try before you can buy. Maybe take a loading class and see some different machines..
    But I'm a believer in reading and more reading and asking questions before you buy a piece of machinery.. Lots of reloaders will try to push you into a larger progressive machine, most of the time there's no reason for spending that much money for a machine that sometimes frustrates the owner with its complexity and will never be utilized for its true intent and output.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    For the Dillon guys. What about the Square Deal B. Right now I will be shooting the 9mm mostly was this is what I shoot in matches.

I would suggest against it in most cases, it uses its own proprietary dies that fit just the square deal.. I would bump up to the 550b... It uses regular dies and conversions are reasonably priced.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I would suggest against it in most cases, it uses its own proprietary dies that fit just the square deal.. I would bump up to the 550b... It uses regular dies and conversions are reasonably priced.

I agree that I do not like things that use proprietary stuff. I have read and talked to some people that complained about the 550b because it does not auto index.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I would suggest that you read, read, read and listen and really think about how much shooting you are really going to do. And that will tell you how much or how little machine you REALLY NEED. If its low volume maybe a single stage is all you need. For medium to large volume its tough to beat a Dillon 550b..
    Even if you are shooting a few thousand a month, a 550 will easily deliver your needs in a few short hours.
    When you upgrade to a larger 5 station machine your machine and conversion costs rise significantly. Look at your 4 station converion cost to your 5 station costs.
    Now if time is money to you, buy a huge multistation machine like Dillons 650 or 1050 machine.
    It's very easy to overbuy a semi or fully progressive machine, very easy.
    I've done it myself, I own a few Dillons and to be honest my largest the 650 only gets used a few times a year. But when my son and I put it in service we load say 5 to 10 thousand 9mm's in a few afternoons. I use my old 550 or a Rockchucker for just about everything.
    Also the it's super easy to run a 550 as a single stage press..
    Ask around and see if someone close to you has a machine or two you can try before you can buy. Maybe take a loading class and see some different machines..
    But I'm a believer in reading and more reading and asking questions before you buy a piece of machinery.. Lots of reloaders will try to push you into a larger progressive machine, most of the time there's no reason for spending that much money for a machine that sometimes frustrates the owner with its complexity and will never be utilized for its true intent and output.

Thanks! I suspect that I will be 1000k+ rounds per month for 6 months per year. It will be less the rest of the time. I fully expect to use my Rock Chucker a lot.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I agree that I do not like things that use proprietary stuff. I have read and talked to some people that complained about the 550b because it does not auto index.

With the needs you posted a 550b would serve you very well.. Having auto index is not always the way to go. Having auto primer and powder is a much better auto feature.
    With running a 550b turning the shellplate as you are adding a empty piece of brass and a bullet flows very easy.

Top Bottom