• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hi guys I have another question, I got my Hornady scale yesterday and opened it up, calibrated it etc. I used the supplied weight to calibrate it and even that seemed off a bit. I also got my 95grn remington bullets from Midway so I put one on the scale and they read 95.7,96.0, 95.9 etc. Is this consistent with bullets to be off a tiny bit or not. Thanks again for the help.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Metallic cartridge powder charges are loaded (mostly) by volume...we use a measured weight, in grains, to help ensure we are using the correct volume.

Your scale might be weighing a little under, if it consistently showed 95 grain bullets as weighing ~96 grains.

When you used the check weight, how far off was it?

380guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Thanks guys, it puts my mind at ease. The 100 grn weight read 100.5 ish to 101.00 ish

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I did not mean to put your mind at ease. If it were me, I would NOT be comfortable with that scale, especially if you're going to be using it to determine the powder charge for 380 loads. If you've got a buddy that reloads, test your check weight on his scale...borrow his check weight and test it on your scale.

It's normal for bullets to be off a few tenths...but your check weight should NOT be off a full grain. To me, that suggests your scale is probably not right. :twocents:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Few tips for scales:

1) Let it warm up for 15 minutes before calibrating or using
    2) It needs to be level and on a solid surface, no wobbling.
    3) Place the object to be weighed directly in the center so the mechanism doesn't bind.
    4) Always use a metal weighing pan or paper. I prefer the metal pan.
    5) Don't lean over it or breathe on it. Protect it from drafts.
    6) Electronics plugged into the same circuit can vary the reading (especially RF).
    7) Keep the batteries fresh or get a plug-in model.
    8) Calibrate with a mass at least half the scale capacity.
    9) Do not overload the scale.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Maybe I missed this somewhere, but what kind of scale is this, balance beam or an electronic?

Regardless you should be able to calibrate either with the supplied weight. An electronic simply by pressing a button, a balance beam will vary but I'm sure the directions explained it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "5) Don't lean over it or breathe on it. Protect it from drafts."

This is important, esp. this this time of year. If your scale is acting flaky, you would be surprised at how far away a heater duct can be and still affect it. I actually set up a big box that covers the top, sides and back to prevent the furnace from blowing on it.

Good Luck

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Personally, I have always preferred a beam scale, I use a Redding #2 that I have had now for 20 years. It always works for me and it never needs a battery. :)

Even with a beam scale you have to make sure you have a solid, level table out of any air flow, zero it properly and makes sure it is giving you good reading by using check weights. Make sure an electronic on shows a good, solid zero rather than a flashing one. Same for a beam scale except you don't want it moving around. Use the pan that comes with the scale and put it in the middle of the dais, that is where you will get the consistent and most accurate readings. Center the pan on a hanger for beams if it something you can remove. I took a marker and outlined where to put my pan each time to make it easier for me.

>KEEP YOUR CHECK WEIGHTS CLEAN< Don't handle them all the time or drop them or use them as paper weights. Keep them in the little box they come in (RCBS one like mine do at least) or keep them somewhere that they will stay clean and safe from damage. Only clean them with rubbing alcohol if they get dirty, other types of cleaners leave residues which weigh something, and we are talking grains here.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    >KEEP YOUR CHECK WEIGHTS CLEAN< Don't handle them all the time or drop them or use them as paper weights. Keep them in the little box they come in (RCBS one like mine do at least) or keep them somewhere that they will stay clean and safe from damage. Only clean them with rubbing alcohol if they get dirty, other types of cleaners leave residues which weigh something, and we are talking grains here.

Agreed. The oil from your hands accumulates on them. It is best to handle the calibration mass with a soft glove and tweezers or similar tool (preferably plastic or wood). Keep them in a box and free of dust/contaminants. No oily or harsh cleaners just rubbing alcohol.

Top Bottom