• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Trying to get up and rolling here, I have the PTX insert and bullet feeder die in the next station. When setting up the PTX with the powder funnel is the powder funnel ram supposed to top out?

I am going back in forth in adjusting the height of the die and then the screw on the bottom that adjusts the amount of bell and getting nowhere.

Vids say it should not top out but then I can not get enough bell on the case.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Mine tops out, meaning the the meter insert touches the casting of the powder measurer, at the bottom of the handle stroke. That being said, how old is your PTX? Hornady had some "non publicized issues with the powder through expanders in certain calibers a while ago. I had issues with getting virtually no bell on my cases. When I reported this problem to Hornady, they replaced the part. Low and behold, it was a different design, and had new markings stamped on it. Perhaps you have old stock, and that is causing your issue.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The PTX came with the bullet feeding die. Brand new two weeks ago. 9mm.

From pics on web looks like I may need to start with the powder hopper collar screwed in more. Powder hopper collar, overall die depth and finally the PTX stop, all affect the output. Seems like multiple ways to get the correct adjustment.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Got it, I do not have a bullet feeder, so I bought my PTX separately. You are correct, start by getting the powder die adjusted properly per the instructions. Then make the adjustment so that the stroke is correct. My unit is older, so I do not have the stop.

Top Bottom