• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm planning on reloading some Hornady XTP's in 9mm for personal defense and I was wondering what opinions everyone has of the bullet, is it a good HP or not? The plan is to use 124gr bullets with Ramshot Zip at near max load as I've read somewhere that XTP's don't function well at lower load velocities, any suggestions/experience would be appeciated. Thanks!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Use only factory ammo for self defense. It could bring you legal trouble if you use handloads for self defense. The XTP bullet is an excellent bullet. I use it in my hunting rounds of 44 mag.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    ^This.
    I carry the Hornandy Critical Defense or Federal HST in mine. Using loaded ammo could bring about negative feelings from a jury if you ever had to use loaded rounds. The prosecution could come up with BS like " This person loaded up their own ammo so that it would do more damage and bodily harm than factory loaded ammo,etc,etc. The Critical Defense ammo retains 98% of its weight +/- and expands evenly with no core/jacket seperation also. The 9mm mushrooms out to roughly .43-.46 or .47 depending on what youre shooting at and ho far it penetrates also a + in my book. It also has the "flex tip" that makes it so that heavy clothing doesnt stop the round from doing its job and expanding like some conventional HP rounds do when the HP cavity gets plugged up by clothing. Try them out!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm planning on reloading some Hornady XTP's in 9mm for personal defense and I was wondering what opinions everyone has of the bullet, is it a good HP or not? The plan is to use 124gr bullets with Ramshot Zip at near max load as I've read somewhere that XTP's don't function well at lower load velocities, any suggestions/experience would be appeciated. Thanks!

The XTP is a excellent jacketed bullet that is reasonably priced. I can't think of a better bullet until you get into the bonded choices, such as the Speer Gold Dot.

If you do this, be aware it shouldn't be YOU that defends your choice of using ammo that you loaded... it needs to be your lawyer ! Like said above, depending on the circumstances, your decision could make your lawyer work much harder for his money.

If you do decide to go this route, I would suggest running a few factory loaded ones over a chrony and loading yours to duplicate that velocity... As a reloader myself, I fully understand how you feel you can produce much more accurate, dependable, and consistent ammo. The one area I feel a little inferior on in relation to factory ammo is the correct velocity to achieve the optium penetration/expansion desired. Remember, the construction of a particular bullet does have a bearing on this.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Interesting points, thank you to all that responded. I did not know that carrying you own SD rounds was a legal issue, learn something new every day! I'll definitely look into the Hornady CD and I've always had good results with Speer. Thanks for all the comments!

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Also not a big fan of handloaded ammo for defense, but for other reasons. Premuim defensive ammo is all loaded with flash retardant powders, so in a dark room you are less likely to get temporarily blinded by muzzle flash. I dont know of any powders available on the reloading market that promote that as a feature.

To answer the question, XTPs are very good, arguably the best, but Gold Dots and a couple others will be right there with them. If you have a chance to shoot some water jugs or something to check expansion I would check some JHPs from various bulk bullet companies just for comparison such as Montana Gold or Zero.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have loaded the XTPs in .45 ACP and had good results, but have yet to try the 9mm. As far as loading your own carry ammo, I do not. I have seen the arguments, but never any proof that it can be an issue, but can see where it might become one.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    I've loaded them in both 9mm and .45acp. However, I only used them to help determine if that particular design of bullet, will reliably feed in the firearm that I intend to carry the factory loaded version in.

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    Use only factory ammo for self defense. It could bring you legal trouble if you use handloads for self defense. The XTP bullet is an excellent bullet. I use it in my hunting rounds of 44 mag.

Here we go again. Give me one case where hand loaded ammo was factor in a SD shooting.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I too, want to see a single case where this has been an issue.

If you're confident in your own ammo, then do whatcha wanna.

On the other hand, Fiocchi sells the extrema XTP line. which is a Hornady XTP loaded into nickel plated star-line brass and it's CHEAP.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In a state like California or Illinois, the jury argument might hold water, but in Indiana, I don't think it does. I've loaded and carried hand load ammo because I believe you should shoot what you carry. I can load and shoot XTPs a heck of a lot more than I can shoot commercial SD ammo. My thinking is that it's much easier to defend against a clean kill with hand loaded ammo than it is to defend against hitting an innocent bystander because you are not familiar enough with that commercial SD ammo.

I do carry some commercial stuff, but don't feel ill at ease about carrying the handloaded ammo. When loading for SD, I think I can put out a more consistent round than I can get with store bought ammo, unless it's the high end stuff. When loading for SD, every round gets weighed, measured, polished, and carried around on a velvet pillow while I chant ancient indian prayers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Stating my opinion here, not getting involved in any arguments.

Masaad Ayob had been the guru of expert witnesses since the 1960's. In his self defense courses, he teaches that from his years as an expert witness testifying in many court cases, handloads are a problem in the court room. I also hold a State of Texas CHL, (10 hours legal class and live fire skills test) The State of Texas also teaches against handloads. I figure both of those sources have way more experience in such legal matters than I ever want to have. I buy my carry ammo. I figure the little more money will save me a lot of troubles in the long run.

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    This comes up all the time on forums everywhere. I'm re-posting my comments from a recent run of this thread on the SigForum Reloading section :

"There are many reasons people feel it's a bad idea to reload your own defensive carry ammo. For me, a major factor is the legal system. I read an article once about what happens after a shooting. The gun and any unfired ammo are of course confiscated as evidence. The ammo is tested and the manufacturer is contacted for specific manufacturing/lot data about the ammo used in the shooting. If you handloaded it, you're the manufacturer. I see this as pure "ammunition" for the prosecution to use to wear you down and find fault in you, making you look like you are the reason a man has been injured via a gun shot wound. If I'm ever involved in a a court case for a shooting, it will be all I can handle to endure the process as the shooter/defendant. I in no way need to put myself into that process as the manufacturer as well. While reasonable reloading records, which we should all be keeping, would most likely provide the technical answers required, remember that law suits, from a lawyer's practical view, are about billable hours. I don't know how many total hours it would add to the case for my attorney to deal with the process of my having manufactured the ammo that was used for the shooting and then having to respond as the manufacturer... but at $300/hr, it would add thousands to my defense costs. In the grand scheme of a shooting defense, that's probably just a drop in the bucket, but when combined with the extra stress and potential negative perception placed on me to the jury deciding my fate and future, it's well worth it to me to spend $25 on a box of factory Speer Gold Dots and totally eliminate that concern should the unthinkable ever happen to me."

I don't know if there is truly a legal significance to being the "manufacturuer" of the ammo used in a shooting, but IF there is, I don't want to be the manufacturer in ANY significant matter pertaining to a shooting.

This is not a legal "right or wrong" issue. It is perfectly legal to carry handloads for SD. Much of the negative opinion, mine included, is based on what COULD happen, not what HAS happened. Even IF I was to be painted in a negative "man-killer" light by an attorney for loading my own ammo, I can't say it would make a bad impression with any of the jurors. But neither can anyone else say that it wouldn't. However, if I use factory ammo, then I CAN say shooting a man with my handloads WILL NOT make a bad impression with a single juror... because it didn't happen. No discussion. No bad impression.

Here we go again. Give me one case where hand loaded ammo was factor in a SD shooting.

I'll make it easier... give me one case where hand loaded ammo was even used in a SD shooting. Forget whether it was a factor or not.

Something else interesting... give me one police department whose common officers use handloads in their EDC duty weapons.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Something else interesting... give me one police department whose common officers use handloads in their EDC duty weapons.

I would like to see this myself..Bill.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks everyone!

Gosh, I forget about my thread for a few days and the floodgates open lol! Thank you all for educating me on this topic, I did not consider the potential legal implications for carrying my own SD loads and will most likely carry factory ammo.

I'll load your XTP's for you. Then they'll be factory loads and you're good to go.

PM me with your store location, I've heard a lot of good things about your ammo and I'd love to drop in one day to see your shop! Thanks again everyone, INGO is the best! :ingo:

Top Bottom