• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Finally got some of the new Hornady 300 Whisper ammo in and got out to the range with it today. This is the first factory ammo I have shot in this rifle, up to now it has been all handloads and I was eager to see how the 208 grain A-Max bullet would perform.

whisper1.jpg

horn3001.jpg

I got set up on the 100 yard line and fired the first three. First impression was they went supersonic, no biggie as the rifle has an adjustable gas system. Well lo and behold the wrench wasn't in the rifle bag. Long story short I shot those three round at steel then fired 3 more for a grouping. I then wandered down and was very happy, 2 rounds in virtually one hole and the 3rd just fractions of an inch away.

whisper3.jpg

I stopped at that point, this stuff isn't cheap and I wanted to adjust the gas system before proceeding. The brass was thrown well clear, further than the brass from my handloads are thrown, another indication some gas system adjustment would be in order.

All in all I am satisfied so far with this ammo. When the supply of Match Kings on hand dwindles I will probably start using this bullet in both my Whisper as well as in my Ruger for sub-sonic loads. The A-Max bullets have always had a great rep and I see it is justified. I may go ahead and order some to try over a Trail Boss sub sonic load in the Ruger just to see how they do.

Top Bottom