• ...and so much more!
  • Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    First off thanks to any and all those post up with ideas:

I have a situation that needs resolved. I need to remove some horses from a property and can't figure out how to get rid of them short of a 30-06 and a backhoe. (plus staying out of jail. Apparently dogs can be shot and buried but the legal system appears to have a sentimental attachment to horses)

Not to sound cruel but does anyone know of a bulk buyer that may buy anywhere up to 11 horses. Mixed lot of animals. Some can be saddled and some have been abandoned and not ridden for years.

We will likely GIVE the horses to the auctioneer if he will come get them. I just don't know how any of this works.

In the next week or so I am posting the property that all owners have until November 1st to remove or claim their animals but I would like to get a game plan in place before then.

Thanks for any contact information and ideas.

SWAMPMASTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Logantucky
    Contact the Animal Control officer in your county,Horses are not worth much anymore at auction but alot of times there are rescue groups in areas that will take the horses until the they can find good homes for them

I assume you have land with horses that are not supposed to be there
    also a Location might help find more local info

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I don't know where you live but Knightstown and Strawtown I believe both have livestock auctions. You will have to get the horses there and then they will run them threw for you.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thanks to all. Situs is Dearborn County. I am posting a Notice next week that all owners have until November 1st to remove them or they will be subject to auction and/or destruction.

Hate to give them to a kill buyer but we are trying to get a majority placed in classified forest for tax purposes and can have no livestock running around.

It just peeves me that people have dumped these animals and don't take care of them. Kind of the way people dump their kids these days ya know?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    So..

If I understand:

You/wife are a landowner in which you've agreed to let other people "board/pasture" their horses on your land? Or are they literally dumped horses?

And now, due to a re-classification (USDA-wise, I presume) of the land, you're required to remove the horses?

If there are any kind of lease/board agreements what-so-ever, you're stuck until those agreements end or properly broken as spelled out in the terms.

As far as you just being a nice guy and telling folks they can pasture their animals on your property without any formal agreements... I'd say that notification via registered mail about a 30-day notice should suffice.

"Due to circumstances, we are being asked to remove all equine animals from this property, of which two animals are yours. You have 30-days from receipt of this notice to comply or the animals will be considered surrendered and will be removed in a manner we find most expedient and necessary."

don't put anything about putting them down; that won't win any favors. Feel free to include horse-rescue organization contact info with the 30-day notice, too.

Above all else, it might be rather wise to consult a lawyer about any of this.

Oh, and it's not so much that there's an emotional attachment to a horse behind the prohibition about putting them down and burying them, it's that horses are so large that they can REALLY cause major problems with people's well water supplies as they decompose.

-J-

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    You might contact the Sheriff's dept and report that people have abandoned the horses on your property.
    Put a notice in the local paper.
    Paper trail.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If no one is caring for these animals are they notconsidered feral? Does Indiana have a law against shooting feral horses? Get a hold of a Conservation Officer and see what they advise.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Thanks to all for your responses. Giving the owners of the animals till November 1st. There has been a change in ownership on the property and its management which is why this is being done.

Prior manager didn't "manage". Just let people drop off animals, trailers, boats, trash etc. Major mess to clean up and will be a long process which is why the posting with such long notice to be given.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    First off thanks to any and all those post up with ideas:

I have a situation that needs resolved. I need to remove some horses from a property and can't figure out how to get rid of them short of a 30-06 and a backhoe. (plus staying out of jail. Apparently dogs can be shot and buried but the legal system appears to have a sentimental attachment to horses)

Not to sound cruel but does anyone know of a bulk buyer that may buy anywhere up to 11 horses. Mixed lot of animals. Some can be saddled and some have been abandoned and not ridden for years.

We will likely GIVE the horses to the auctioneer if he will come get them. I just don't know how any of this works.

In the next week or so I am posting the property that all owners have until November 1st to remove or claim their animals but I would like to get a game plan in place before then.

Thanks for any contact information and ideas.

Elmer's Glue Factory, Parsippany, NJ

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    horse rescue groups would be a great choice. most rescues are currently overwhelmed do to the end of equine slaughter in this country. I wont get on my soapbox about that issue. I love horses and care about their welfare thus I support horse slaughter strongly to reduce the unwanted horse problem we face today. If you cant get a horse rescue to come get them this organization my be very helpful Contact Us they need donations to feed to the big cats.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    yeah, not a popular idea but,;
    there is a process to have "found property" declared yours,
    then the law allows you to cull livestock.

Agreed...

Probably not the best outcome, but it's still an option should all other options fail.

Just can't bury 'em in a big hole, though. After culling, you have to get a large-animal hauler to take 'em away to a rendering plant somewhere.

-J-

Top Bottom