• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I think this was talked about a year or so ago but I think it's worth revisiting.
    I was wondering how many of us have some experience with horses if things get really bad and you want to conserve gas for generators, emergency runs or whatever?

I grew up raising horses (but don't have any currently) so I know what goes into the care of them. Some might think it would be easy to take care of them, learn to ride, etc. It's not that easy really if your a newbie and have no experience or anyone available who does.

On the pro side grass fed horses might be very useful. You could ride about anywhere, move more quietly than on a motorized vehicle and any horse knowledge would be a valuable skill for a trade.
    Riding horses and harness horses for plowing and pulling require different training though.
    So what about the modern usefulness of the horse in a bad SHTF scenario?
    Any thoughts from the horse people?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Better to get a diesel dual-purpose bike that gets 50-80 MPG and a jerry can of diesel to bolt to the back. Horses have health issues that you need to care for in an apocalypse, just like you do, and need fuel/food all the time, not just when you're riding them.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    need fuel/food all the time, not just when you're riding them.
    Well put.

If you lived in a place that already supported horses and used them, I'd be inclined to plan on continuing that use. I would be less likely to plan on keeping horses just for that purpose though, as they aren't' exactly a stable storable quantity.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I would say that because of the costs involved in caring for a horse it would be better to get a mtn bike, non-motorized peddle type bike for transportation. They require your body to be fueled to run them but you need to feed yourself anyway. As far as a work animal, you may want to look into goats. They are much easier to feed, although they will have many care problems as horses would have. The only side point to using goats though is that they make milk, and the horse just makes manure.... Just my .02 cents worth...

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I agree that if you do not have horses, have no knowledge of caring for them, and do not have the acreage to feed them or a barn to put them in ( I won't even go into the expense or procurement of tack, that is, if you even know what you need or shoeing, trimming hooves, grooming, etc.) then no, you shouldn't think about it. But if you do have them and understand all that is involved then they could be a great asset. And what do you do once you run out of diesel or gas for your bikes or 4 wheelers? Walk I guess.
    Mountain bikes might be fine but require a lot of energy (calories) you might not want to use up and horses are faster (and can be eaten if necessary as someone pointed out more or less). It might be a good idea to stick back a good book or two on horses in your survival library. At least you'll have a start.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd say that if you've already got horses and know how to take care of them, they'd be quite useful especially if you're staying put. Put them to work to make farming, pulling (lumber or whatever else, even though there would be other animals better suited), or semi short range travel if you want to go unnoticed but then again, if the horses aren't use to what you're trying to make them do...good luck. Horses could be very useful but even though I've been around them some and understand the work involved in keeping them (several in my family raised and boarded show horses and now are more involved in working horses, I've helped some when they've needed help), they aren't for me.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Another option is a Mule.. they are wayyy hardier than horses, and easier to keep on less quality feed. in a survial situation you would be well served with a smaller mule than have a larger horse. also they have less health problems some say it is because they are hybrids?? not too sure of that myself, but just from my experience they are the ultimate in a riding and work animal!!! just my opinion, not trying to start the old horse , mule debate...

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    I have two, A Morgan and a Tennessee Walker. Definetly a good investment. Especially now with the economy, broke horses are selling for super cheap.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    A small tractor would be a better investment for most of us that aren't horse savvy.
    You don't have to feed it when it's not working and it will do most of what a work horse
    will do...even pull a cart. I bought an old Bradley walk behind last winter. Hope to get it working by spring next year. It will pull a small plow or disc or cultivator. A sulky can be attached for riding if you're not in a hurry. It won't get foundered on to much feed
    and if it gets flooded I can fix that.
    A squeamish person might not kill you and eat you, but a hungry person would probably kill you and eat your horse. A tractor makes a lousy barbeque and is useless to a thief without gas.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A small tractor would be a better investment for most of us that aren't horse savvy.
    You don't have to feed it when it's not working and it will do most of what a work horse
    will do...even pull a cart. I bought an old Bradley walk behind last winter. Hope to get it working by spring next year. It will pull a small plow or disc or cultivator. A sulky can be attached for riding if you're not in a hurry. It won't get foundered on to much feed
    and if it gets flooded I can fix that.
    A squeamish person might not kill you and eat you, but a hungry person would probably kill you and eat your horse. A tractor makes a lousy barbeque and is useless to a thief without gas.

You mean that isn't a good way to cure an iron deficiency in your diet? :D

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Another option is a Mule.. they are wayyy hardier than horses, and easier to keep on less quality feed. in a survial situation you would be well served with a smaller mule than have a larger horse. also they have less health problems some say it is because they are hybrids?? not too sure of that myself, but just from my experience they are the ultimate in a riding and work animal!!! just my opinion, not trying to start the old horse , mule debate...

Mules are better for pulling than horses and are more sure footed. What you say is true. but riding a mule just ain't cool. :D

Maybe better to have both that way you can eat one and have a backup!

Top Bottom