• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    got a question for you medical folks out there. My grandpa is a total PITA and desperately wants to be sick. He signed himself into a nursing home awhile back and gives them a hard time. Well his wishes came true and he found out he was sick he had thyroid cancer and a tiny bit of lung cancer. Both of those have been taken care of and he is supposed to be as healthy as a horse. Then today he calls us up and tells us he is being put into hospice. No body knows why. he fakes everything so we called the nursing home and they confirmed he is in hospice. Now my question is do they have to have a really good reason to do that or can they just say they are sick of him being an A hole about everything and sign him off to get rid of him?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm not a "medical folk", but it would seem that a terminal diagnosis is necessary for hospice care, and if there is not one, the nursing home and/or hospice are committing fraud.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    got a question for you medical folks out there. My grandpa is a total PITA and desperately wants to be sick. He signed himself into a nursing home awhile back and gives them a hard time. Well his wishes came true and he found out he was sick he had thyroid cancer and a tiny bit of lung cancer. Both of those have been taken care of and he is supposed to be as healthy as a horse. Then today he calls us up and tells us he is being put into hospice. No body knows why. he fakes everything so we called the nursing home and they confirmed he is in hospice. Now my question is do they have to have a really good reason to do that or can they just say they are sick of him being an A hole about everything and sign him off to get rid of him?

Wow...just wow. :rolleyes:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Do they have to prove that he is terminal or can a nurse just scribble down that he dying? That man is healthier than i am he has now reason to be in hospice. If they just made some BS up to get rid of him because of his behavior i would completely understand it. But it seems to me that some one has really F'd something up.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    freek -
    1) I don't know what the requirements are.
    2) How sure are you of him "being a PITA" and making this up?
    3) People have been known to do strange things when they are ill - like not want anyone to know what's wrong with them. Until POOF they are suddenly in hospice or gone.
    4) You want to be DARN sure that you are right - it's a lot to live with if you turn out to be wrong.

All that said - you may well be right in your assertions. I have no way of knowing, I'm not a doctor, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, etc.

My default thought, though - would be to give him an EXTRA BIG benefit of the doubt...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    If he request that he wants no care to extend his life he can get Hospice care. I have dealt with Hospice many times with friends and relatives. They give great care. So sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

Hang in there FF!!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My entire life all he has done is lie. When my Gma (his ex wife) had a massive heart attack he suddenly went into heart failure within minutes of hearing about it. we go to visit him and he tries to convince us of it and i ask the Dr. and he said nothing was wrong. He is pretty well known at the hospital for crying wolf. But that being said he can usually come up with some convincing stuff but he says he doesnt know why he is going into hospice care nor does any one we have talked to. Me and him may not be on the best terms but i would like to get this figured out it has a bunch of people freaking out.

Thanks for the eligibility info snapdragon

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thanks for the kind words.

Didn't mean to sound like an sh!77y grandson its just i dont think he understands that his lies affect other people and i am afraid he is pulling the same old stuff again. I do love him and hope that this is just a big mistake

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hopefully, someone else is footing the bill for hospice, it ain't cheap! It's also not something that you just go in to, there has to be a terminal diagnosis. I guess, since life is fatal, everyone can go!

Top Bottom