• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Right. The secure facility is what allows them to enforce a rule prohibiting weapons. But what is the text of that restriction and what are the consequences of violating it?

I don't think either of those are to be be found in IC because Indiana law does not prohibit it, it simply allows for such a prohibition in a public hospital with a secure facility.

Heck, it could just be as minor as a fine if you're caught violating their rule (like spitting on the sidewalk or something equally trivial).

:yesway: Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Rules, policies, even laws are subject to how or if they are enforced. Often these are put into effect to ward off the worst cases when actually someone who knows and understands what they are doing, while keeping a low profile, is fine.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    :yesway: Yes, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Rules, policies, even laws are subject to how or if they are enforced. Often these are put into effect to ward off the worst cases when actually someone who knows and understands what they are doing, while keeping a low profile, is fine.

Having worked in that capacity I wish I could agree with what you both said but the truth is it's not like that. Hospital administration will ultimetly have the final say but pretty much every one of them I have met has been a sheep. Most of the nurses I've met are sheep. The policies should be at the discretion of the enforcing party but there are people who have their hands in the enforcers pockets. I'm not too clear I know, I don't want to cross a line and get fired before I quit.
    Bottom line is this: it's a business and the people who ultimetly decide what happens to a person carrying a firearm has probably never carried a firearm or even own one, and has no idea what the firearm community is like. They enjoy their fantasy world living in safety land where nothing bad ever happens.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Having worked in that capacity I wish I could agree with what you both said but the truth is it's not like that. Hospital administration will ultimetly have the final say but pretty much every one of them I have met has been a sheep. Most of the nurses I've met are sheep. The policies should be at the discretion of the enforcing party but there are people who have their hands in the enforcers pockets. I'm not too clear I know, I don't want to cross a line and get fired before I quit.
    Bottom line is this: it's a business and the people who ultimetly decide what happens to a person carrying a firearm has probably never carried a firearm or even own one, and has no idea what the firearm community is like. They enjoy their fantasy world living in safety land where nothing bad ever happens.

Good info. Thanks!
    Have you seen the results of anyone being caught? Attempting to come in armed and turned away or detained?

Last edited:

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    Good info. Thanks!
    Have you seen the results of anyone being caught? Attempting to come in armed and turned away or detained?

Before one of the hospitals I work at had metal detectors we used to just lock them up in our offices. So if someone brought in a gun we would tell them that they couldn't have it on them inside the hospital and they could either lock it up in one of our gun lockers or take it back out to their cars. I had done maybe about 5 of those over the course of 2 years, without a problem. Then after we got metal detectors things became a lot more extreme. It was no longer an option for us to lock it up, they HAD to take it out to your car. Responsible armed citizens respond with compliance and curious questions. The thugs see what's going on and walk away before they hit the door.

Things have changed ten fold since I started just about 3 years ago. People are so scared nowadays. Someone looks at them wrong, oooo, call security. There is no more hospitality (generally speaking) in the healthcare field. If someone refuses it automatically becomes a force issue. Then when we get there and talk them down we are the bad guys. I'm sure there are some exceptions but from everything I've seen it is far and few between. Now imagine throwing a gun into this equation. Pure panick by uneducated "professionals".

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Before one of the hospitals I work at had metal detectors we used to just lock them up in our offices. So if someone brought in a gun we would tell them that they couldn't have it on them inside the hospital and they could either lock it up in one of our gun lockers or take it back out to their cars. I had done maybe about 5 of those over the course of 2 years, without a problem. Then after we got metal detectors things became a lot more extreme. It was no longer an option for us to lock it up, they HAD to take it out to your car. Responsible armed citizens respond with compliance and curious questions. The thugs see what's going on and walk away before they hit the door.

Things have changed ten fold since I started just about 3 years ago. People are so scared nowadays. Someone looks at them wrong, oooo, call security. There is no more hospitality (generally speaking) in the healthcare field. If someone refuses it automatically becomes a force issue. Then when we get there and talk them down we are the bad guys. I'm sure there are some exceptions but from everything I've seen it is far and few between. Now imagine throwing a gun into this equation. Pure panick by uneducated "professionals".

So it sounds as if you are captured by a metal detector (that reportedly may or may not be turned on) that you are not detained?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Not to disagree with your experience, which, admittedly, I don't have, but the simple truth is that it IS like that. You, as a security officer there, have to know I have a gun on me before you can either insist I remove it or trespass me or anything else. It works the same way here on INGO. As a mod, I have to either see a violation or have it reported to me to act on it. Once I see it, I can PM, warn, infract, or ban the person, but I have neither the ability, the permission, nor the desire to ban someone for their thoughts. Their posts are another matter entirely.

You can't enforce a rule you don't know is being broken.

All of that said, his comment was in re: not being noticed, while yours addresses the mindset of those who write policies. Two different subjects, but basically the same answer. Don't get noticed, don't get caught, but if you do, respect their property rights and calmly, quietly depart, without a "scene".

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    Not to disagree with your experience, which, admittedly, I don't have, but the simple truth is that it IS like that. You, as a security officer there, have to know I have a gun on me before you can either insist I remove it or trespass me or anything else. It works the same way here on INGO. As a mod, I have to either see a violation or have it reported to me to act on it. Once I see it, I can PM, warn, infract, or ban the person, but I have neither the ability, the permission, nor the desire to ban someone for their thoughts. Their posts are another matter entirely.

You can't enforce a rule you don't know is being broken.

All of that said, his comment was in re: not being noticed, while yours addresses the mindset of those who write policies. Two different subjects, but basically the same answer. Don't get noticed, don't get caught, but if you do, respect their property rights and calmly, quietly depart, without a "scene".

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

I was referring to Bwframe's comment Rules, policies, even laws are subject to how or if they are enforced and ATM's comment Heck, it could just be as minor as a fine if you're caught violating their rule (like spitting on the sidewalk or something equally trivial). I was trying to press the issue that these policies are enforced as much as they can be (the new metal detectors). You are right we can't do anything unless the firearm was noticed or found. I was just stating that staff takes a strong stand on firearms. Hospital administration is the one who makes the policies, which is why I went off on my tangent about mindset and who creates the policies.
    Sorry if that confused you.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've had the evil-death-flu since Christmas night.
    This is the first chance I've had to check in on INGO.
    I was starting to feel a little better this evening.
    but after reading this thread...I'm feeling sick and dehydrated again
    :):
    e.p.i.c.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Through a garage while knowing the dBag that threatened my life, and a nurses life, was released by a judge, due to "extenuating" circumstances.

Through a garage while a bunch of gentlemen with blue handkerchiefs are hanging out mad as hell because some gentlemen wearing red handkerchiefs stabbed their friend (who is in the trauma ward) and security will not let them in the hospital.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    For those of you who think you will be arrested, what section of Indiana Code states that you can't carry in a hospital. Let me save you some time: it doesn't exist. Policy and law are two very different things.

Now for the original OP. Listen I love to carry and respect everyones right to carry. However, you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. Are you willing to take your kid to another hospital because you don't believe in the no carry policy at Riley's (if you can find one that will allow you to carry)? Secondly, in the case that you wear it and get caught and are asked to leave, will you be willing to leave your kid and not be able to visit them? Sure you could stand your ground and say I'm not leaving but then you will be criminally trespassed and still not be able to vsit your child.

Carry at your own discretion but pick your battles. I would hate to hear that your kid didn't get the treatment they needed or that you were unable to be there to support them. Apart from the gun thing, I wish your kid the best of luck and a healthy return.

good point but it wasn't my child thankfully. We were visiting a friends child. Secondly I would never OC in a place I knew was legal just not "friendly". Only thing I wanted to make sure of which I was pretty sure of was is it legal.

GlockFox

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Naptown
    I never OC....period. But I think I'm in the wrong thread for that one.:): Hope everything goes well regardless and agree with you 100%.

good point but it wasn't my child thankfully. We were visiting a friends child. Secondly I would never OC in a place I knew was legal just not "friendly". Only thing I wanted to make sure of which I was pretty sure of was is it legal.

Top Bottom