• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    "The Corlett dispute is one in a series of instances in which students have been scrutinized for their work in writing classes -- more typically when the writing is explicitly dealing with violence. Colleges and universities have been criticized both for failing to act on student writing and for overreacting. The issue is complicated, writing instructors say. Instructors note that many students are immature, aren't good writers and mix fantasy and reality without much attempt to differentiate the two"

Jack's Note: A major factor in the suspension of Mr. Corlett from the college is that he wrote a letter to the school newspaper defending CCW on campus.

Student suspended after he writes of affection for professor | Inside Higher Ed

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    thought-police-2.jpgp

and
    minority-report.jpg

Yup those come to mind.
    BTW you can read his journal entries here:
    http://thefire.org/public/pdfs/6afc320371b1194fafa955b55658aa86.pdf?direct]

33 pages of writing.
    -Jedi

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    So this University is not what you would call a paragon of free speech. Too bad some of the early writers didn't have the benefit of this kind of educational experience. They could really have straightened out some guys like Shakespeare or Edgar Allen Poe. Of course their works wouldn't be very interesting after being made politically correct.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I noted that the article talked about students - college students - not being graded on spelling or grammar for their assignment. Isn't that something they should have learned in Grade School and had down pat in High School? Apparently not. As far back as 1972 I encountered adults who didn't think correct spelling was important or an indicator of education. Now I run into Masters' Degree holders who cannot put a grammatically correct paragraph together, courtesy of the Education Mafia. If Professors and Administrators can't exercise critical thinking in colleges, how can we expect such values to be taught in primary, secondary or undergraduate schools?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This doesn't surprise me in the last. A couple of years ago at IUPUI a workstudy student got in trouble because on their break they were reading a book about slavery and it offended somebody who saw it. Oh, and the book was about an anti-slavery movement etc.

BLA

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Brown County
    I believe the guy was probably a perv but who knows. Anyway I don't think he should be kicked out unless he was being really stupid.

Top Bottom