• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    About two years ago I bought a used SafeMark hotel room safe from Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, the kind that you choose your own four digit combination each time you lock it. It also has a universal override combination which they gave me at the time I bought it. It was cheap, and Midwest made it clear at the time I bought it that they were being sold "as is" without warranty or support so I was warned.

It worked well until recently--every time I enter the combination the digital readout flashes "E" then "H". I replaced the batteries with fresh ones each six months and the ones in it are about new, but it refuses to open with either my combination or the universal override combination. The only control on the safe is the electronic keypad [no twist knob for the bolts] but there is a slot at the base of the keypad for some sort of plug for an external hook-up. It looks like a telephone jack plug, but is just a bit too small for a telephone plug.

The safe is full and mounted on a shelf in my closet and I'm going to have to get it open eventually one way or another. Anyone have any ideas on how I might open it without destroying it? I tried a local locksmith but he had no way to open it without cutting it open. :dunno:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Anywhere on the front, probably near the keypad, is there a little circle of plastic? A lot of these safes have a key back up. If it does, you might be able to contact Safemark for a key?

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Anywhere on the front, probably near the keypad, is there a little circle of plastic? A lot of these safes have a key back up.

There's no keyhole. I've looked all over. Nothing.

Is there a way to.contact the manufacture? That almost sounds like the dial pad is going bad

I tried contacting SafeMark. They said they only offer support for original contracted purchasers--no secondary owners are given any information or support.

Did you try all zeros? Seems the default over ride is all zeros.

I've tried all zeroes as well as the universal override combination supplied by Midwest which worked in the past. It doesn't work now.

personally? id cut the ****er into pieces and get my **** out. get rid of it and buy a sentry or something.

I'm almost there. :ar15:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    dude, for when you get fed up on the sucker

i'm in decatur and have a dozen destructive tools and a penchant for beating the **** out of inaminate objects. feel free to bring it by :)

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    About two years ago I bought a used SafeMark hotel room safe from Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, the kind that you choose your own four digit combination each time you lock it. It also has a universal override combination which they gave me at the time I bought it. It was cheap, and Midwest made it clear at the time I bought it that they were being sold "as is" without warranty or support so I was warned.

It worked well until recently--every time I enter the combination the digital readout flashes "E" then "H". I replaced the batteries with fresh ones each six months and the ones in it are about new, but it refuses to open with either my combination or the universal override combination. The only control on the safe is the electronic keypad [no twist knob for the bolts] but there is a slot at the base of the keypad for some sort of plug for an external hook-up. It looks like a telephone jack plug, but is just a bit too small for a telephone plug.

The safe is full and mounted on a shelf in my closet and I'm going to have to get it open eventually one way or another. Anyone have any ideas on how I might open it without destroying it? I tried a local locksmith but he had no way to open it without cutting it open. :dunno:

I'd start here http://www.safemark.com/

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    I have a similar safe, maybe a different manufacturer though.
    "E" probably stands for ERROR. and "H" - for HOLD.
    After several unsuccessful tries (4 attempts in my case), the safe will go into a lockout period (15 min -?). I also have Emergency Key to open the safe in case of dead batteries or electronic malfunction.
    PM sent to OP with some instructions from my safe operating manual.

Gary72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    North Central IN
    I can't help with trouble shooting the key pad other than a reference on the web that holding the # and * key is often a way to reset a hotel safe. But, I do know Jeff Johnson doesn't monitor this forum or use email or other computer based communication. If you want to contact him you need to call him at 317-876-7233

I don't know if he is familiar with that type of safe, but he knows a lot about safes. He can likely crack open yours and sell you a really good safe to replace it as well. :)

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I have a similar safe, maybe a different manufacturer though.
    "E" probably stands for ERROR. and "H" - for HOLD.
    After several unsuccessful tries (4 attempts in my case), the safe will go into a lockout period (15 min -?). I also have Emergency Key to open the safe in case of dead batteries or electronic malfunction.
    PM sent to OP with some instructions from my safe operating manual.

Bravo! With the help of the information in your PM the door is now open, the safe is emptied, and the safe will not be relocked until I can design some sort of mechanical locking system for it. Thanks to each of you for your suggestions!

:rockwoot:

Top Bottom