House Natural Resources meeting tomorrow!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agenda for : Natural Resources January 20, 3:30 PM, 156B

Dembowski, Grubb, Michael, Pflum, Robertson.
    Dodge R.M.M., T. Brown, Cherry, Eberhart, Leonard.
    Members :

Cheatham Vice-Chair :
    Bischoff Chairman :

Authors

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2010/IN/IN1065.1.html
    HB 1065 Various provisions concerning firearms.

Hearing : Bischoff

Sadly, their meeting was in 156B and the closest video coverage is in 156C.

I have not found anything to indicate the outcome of their vote, but then, there's nothing presently on the General Assembly's website to indicate that HB 1068 (closing LTCH database and info availability). That said, however, SB 25 is up for Second Reading to the full Senate tomorrow morning.

Blessings,
    Bill

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfied,In
    Indiana: House Natural Resources Committee
    Passes Emergency Powers Legislation!

On Wednesday, January 20, the Indiana House Natural Resources Committee voted 10 to 1 to pass House Bill 1065. The bill will now head to the House floor for consideration.

HB1065, sponsored by State Representative Bob Bischoff (D-68), would prevent state or local government authorities from confiscating lawfully owned firearms during declared states of emergency, such as the one that occurred in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Moreover, this bill would prohibit employers from firing employees who safely and lawfully store their firearms in locked vehicles.

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Indiana: House Natural Resources Committee
    Passes Emergency Powers Legislation!

On Wednesday, January 20, the Indiana House Natural Resources Committee voted 10 to 1 to pass House Bill 1065. The bill will now head to the House floor for consideration.

HB1065, sponsored by State Representative Bob Bischoff (D-68), would prevent state or local government authorities from confiscating lawfully owned firearms during declared states of emergency, such as the one that occurred in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina. Moreover, this bill would prohibit employers from firing employees who safely and lawfully store their firearms in locked vehicles.

:patriot::patriot::patriot:

Who was the "1" person the voted no? I would like to call and voice my dis-pleasure.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I wrote my state rep (Kathy Richardson, District 29)

Here's mine (with a similar letter to my State Senator, Beverly Gard, Senate District 28)...

Rep. Richardson,

I urge you to support House Bill 1065 when it comes before you on the House floor. This bill is in keeping with the spirit and intent of the Founders and of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

Times of disaster or emergency are when a citizen is MOST in need of the capability to protect one's self and one's family. Prohibiting a political entity from infringing upon the right to bear arms in those circumstance supports that capability.

With regard to the issue of an individual's right to legally possess a firearm within that individual's locked vehicle (that vehicle being the individual's own private property), this is also in keeping with the intent of the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. If an employer is allowed to maintain such policies, an individual complying with that policy is forced to be without defense during commutes through sometimes dangerous areas. Such a policy give an employer undue control over an individual's freedom to safely secure a legally possessed firearm within the confines of that individual's own private property.

Best,

Last edited:

GunRightsNews

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Russiaville
    HB 1065 Amendment 2 cause for concern

Amendment 2, submitted by Cheatham and passed by a voice vote says the following:

SECTION 2. IC 10-14-3-33.5 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2010]: Sec. 33.5. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the state, a political subdivision, or any other person may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during:
    (1) a disaster emergency;
    (2) an energy emergency; or
    (3) a local disaster emergency;
    declared under this chapter.

(b) Subsection (a) does not authorize the possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency described in subsection (a):
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    [snip]
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence; or
    [snip]I cut out the uninteresting parts. My understanding of the amendment is that areas that were restricted during peace time, do not suddenly become "legal" during an emergency. I have issue with #7.

To put it all together...

Except as provided in subsection (b), the state may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession or use of firearms or ammunition during a disaster emergency.

Subsection (a) does not authorize the possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency described in subsection (a) at a person's residence;

I emailed Rep Cheatham to get clarification. But, can anyone explain this to me? The way I read it, during an emergency, the state may restict possession or use of firearms and ammunition during at my residence. (i.e. Knock, Knock, Knock, Hi were are here from the state to collect your guns and bullets. Please hand them over)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Amendment 2, submitted by Cheatham and passed by a voice vote says the following:

SECTION 2. IC 10-14-3-33.5 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE AS A NEW SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2010]: Sec. 33.5. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), the state, a political subdivision, or any other person may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during:
    (1) a disaster emergency;
    (2) an energy emergency; or
    (3) a local disaster emergency;
    declared under this chapter.

(b) Subsection (a) does not authorize the possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency described in subsection (a):
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    [snip]
    (6) on the property of a domestic violence shelter;
    (7) at a person's residence; or
    [snip]I cut out the uninteresting parts. My understanding of the amendment is that areas that were restricted during peace time, do not suddenly become "legal" during an emergency. I have issue with #7.

To put it all together...

Except as provided in subsection (b), the state may not prohibit or restrict the lawful possession or use of firearms or ammunition during a disaster emergency.

Subsection (a) does not authorize the possession, transfer, sale, transportation, storage, display, or use of firearms or ammunition during an emergency described in subsection (a) at a person's residence;

I emailed Rep Cheatham to get clarification. But, can anyone explain this to me? The way I read it, during an emergency, the state may restict possession or use of firearms and ammunition during at my residence. (i.e. Knock, Knock, Knock, Hi were are here from the state to collect your guns and bullets. Please hand them over)

It could be interpreted that way. I think more, this was so that an individual anti-gun homeowner is not prevented from telling a LTCH holder to leave. I will be interested to see what Rep. Cheatham says about it.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom