• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It's physically invasive and actually removes a small physical portion of your body.
    Let's not overstate that part. It's a bocal swab against the inside of your cheek. Spit and skin cells are what is collected.
    The other 2 don't. I don't know if that meets the substantially part, but that is a clear distinction.
    And I'm not sure that yo can use fingerprints to plant fingerprints......
    Sure you can, haven't you been watching any movies?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...And I'm not sure that yo can use fingerprints to plant fingerprints......

It would be quite difficult to plant DNA from the buccal swab that would be reliably detected. They can't manufacture more. Also, what is stored is the DNA results, or pattern.

I don't think the fear of someone in law enforcement using the sample to frame you is much of a concern, in reality.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It would be quite difficult to plant DNA from the buccal swab that would be reliably detected. They can't manufacture more. Also, what is stored is the DNA results, or pattern.

I don't think the fear of someone in law enforcement using the sample to frame you is much of a concern, in reality.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

​YET

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Has it been done with fingerprints? Not counting Mayfield as that was just flat out error.

Look, I've seen on TV how to transfer fingerprints with everything from Scotch tape to Silly Putty. Manufacturing DNA to match a specific profile? That's a little deeper pull...
    FOR NOW.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Tell me that you freedom lovers are not arguing that "since we already have...we might as well go ahead and have..." on this issue...!

I don't know that anyone came close to saying that. It's just that I prefer to be for or against something based upon rational facts, not imaginary bogey men.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Viscerally, I don't like this...but intellectually, I'm trying to figure out how this is substantially different from fingerprinting and mug shots.

I don't think that it is. It's simply another identification tool, like fingerprints or mugshots. I don't have a problem with this for at least arrests for violent felonies where probable cause has been found and charges are actually filed. DNA is not as private as most people think. Most people leave trace DNA on anything they touch, especially if the surface of the object being handled is textured. I'd like to see someone explain how this is radically different than taking fingerprints or a mugshot, maybe I would change my mind.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I don't think that it is. It's simply another identification tool, like fingerprints or mugshots. I don't have a problem with this for at least arrests for violent felonies where probable cause has been found and charges are actually filed. DNA is not as private as most people think. Most people leave trace DNA on anything they touch, especially if the surface of the object being handled is textured. I'd like to see someone explain how this is radically different than taking fingerprints or a mugshot, maybe I would change my mind.

For conviction...yeah, probably. For an arrest? HELL no! Anyone can be accused of, and arrested for anything. You wanna live in Nazi Germany? Have a great time. NOT me!

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Wait a second, guys. DNA swab on felony conviction *even if reduced*? Maybe for a violent felony, but do we really need a DNA sample from the Martha Stewart types?

I think you're right here.

But I also think that the list of felonies has gotten well out of hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd like to see someone explain how this is radically different than taking fingerprints or a mugshot, maybe I would change my mind.
    It isn't. It's used for identification. The tests for genetic diseases, to clone you and use the clone as a hit man, etc. are all radically different (and more expensive, and more time consuming) than comparison tests for identification. Your DNA isn't "sequenced" or decoded. A test is done for certain markers at certain points in the chain, and then that information is stored. It's impossible to take that information and extrapolate if you're going to have a hereditary disease, etc.

Most people leave trace DNA on anything they touch, especially if the surface of the object being handled is textured.

Eh, sort of. You might leave some traces, but not enough to do anything useful with as far as comparison. Touch DNA is tough. Guns actually do seem to be a good source, though, perhaps the recoil and texture combination sheers off more skin cells. I'm just guessing, though, that's beyond my pay grade.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    For conviction...yeah, probably. For an arrest? HELL no! Anyone can be accused of, and arrested for anything. You wanna live in Nazi Germany? Have a great time. NOT me!

Saying that "anyone can be arrested for anything" is like saying that anyone who buys a lottery ticket can hit the lottery. While technically true in the purest sense, it's a useless statement because of the odds. I'm thinking that my chances of getting arrested for a violent felony is extremely low. Those in the habit of rapin', robbin' and murderin' have a far better chance of arrest than your typical law-abiding citizen.

I knew that Godwin would show up in this thread. Please tell me how the collection of DNA from felony suspects will inevitably lead to the extermination of millions of people by the government.

Top Bottom