• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    His plan would have docked states with such laws 20 percent of their money under the Byrne Justice Assistance Grants, which are used to fund a wide array of programs, from law enforcement to drug treatment to jails and prosecutor's offices. Mr. Ellison said nearly half of all states now have stand-your-ground laws.
    Less funding for law enforcement, jails, and prosecutors? :nailbite:

Sounds like some kind of "Well Regulated Militia" would have to step in to help the career LEOs pick up the slack...

:draw:

I'm on "the list" again, aren't I? :tinfoil:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Is no one yet wondering on what basis the federal government proposes to overturn State laws?

This is not a Commerce Clause issue. This is solely within the purview of the States.

The legislators in question are over-reaching beyond anything we have seen to date.

"This is no different than withholding transportation funds from states that don't enforce seat-belt laws."
    Right, that is what it is EXACTLY like. Uncanny. And withdrawing federal law enforcement grants would make a lot of sense. What if the States decide to stop playing the War on Drugs/Terror as a result?

These two have to go. I wonder if their constituents are paying any attention?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is no one yet wondering on what basis the federal government proposes to overturn State laws?

This is not a Commerce Clause issue. This is solely within the purview of the States.

The legislators in question are over-reaching beyond anything we have seen to date.

Right, that is what it is EXACTLY like. Uncanny.

Yes, I was. They do as they please. It seems most of the electorate has no idea who does what to whom and when anymore.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Maybe someone should introduce this mess and force a vote on it before November. Let the congress put up or shut up on the idea.

Federal money? The feds give US money? Holy cow, what a country!!

(How about the salaries of congressmen who can't pass a simple test on the Constitution and federalism get an annual 20% reduction?)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe someone should introduce this mess and force a vote on it before November. Let the congress put up or shut up on the idea.

They do feel it is their money. It is printed by them so it is theirs yes........:laugh:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana

Yeah, all that money we give to them? They give some back.

It's like Indiana threatening to stop giving me back my tax returns. Big ****ing whoop, I'll just have to stop giving you that money in the first place.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Right, that is what it is EXACTLY like. Uncanny. And withdrawing federal law enforcement grants would make a lot of sense. What if the States decide to stop playing the War on Drugs/Terror as a result?

It is the same stupid South Dakota v. Dole "spending clause" BS which has been used to force the 21 year old drinking age, etc.

Best,

Joe

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    (thanks to CatieLynn, for her update)

Can someone explain this to me, though? I want to see exactly how the law would look, with the, "SYG", component removed. Let's parse the text, and see what we are left with.

For the purpose of the discussion, let's use FL 776, "Justifiable Use of Force".

I'll check back, but until then, look it up for yourself, and see if you can figure out what will be different, aside from an additional opportunity for the judge to dismiss charges, and protect the accused from civil liability.

It sounds to me, like everyone railing against the law, just wants to eliminate the, "free to murder", notion, promoted by the bills opponents, and adopted by irresponsible gun owners, who were too lazy to look at the law for themselves.

jazzy1993

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Lake County
    Twice as many criminals have been shot!? Holy crap that sounds great! Yes, Treyvon was a tragedy, but I seriously doubt Zimmerman thought that he would shoot him just because of the stand your ground law.

Is it cheaper to shoot them dead, or to keep them in prison, let them out to commit more crimes, and then keep putting them in prison again? Once again the Dems have taken the side of the "poor" criminal than the honest people.

Agreed, Let's just pay to keep them in prison. It must be cheaper to put a tax aided home over these BGs than do away with them.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Stupid people **** me off, ignorant people...hell, Jesse jackson and al sharpton **** me off. For somebody wanting equality, they are pretty damn racist.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Can someone explain this to me, though? I want to see exactly how the law would look, with the, "SYG", component removed. Let's parse the text, and see what we are left with.
    My guess is the first bolded part would be removed, and possibly the second bolded part.

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony

776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Yeah, all that money we give to them? They give some back.

It's like Indiana threatening to stop giving me back my tax returns. Big ****ing whoop, I'll just have to stop giving you that money in the first place.
    Sad part is, a lot of people I've discussed taxes with are clueless that the "refund" they get is really that - it's what they already paid in.

Meh.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Let them bring it to a vote. They saw what happened to Lugar because of his gun votes, and the same thing should happen to those freedom hating communists that do the bidding of George Soros instead of the American people and our founding fathers. So let them sign their names on it, let them sign a nice political suicide note.

Ausgehen!

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Progressives will be hear to explain how both parties are the same here shortly.

Depends on which part of the Bill of Rights you are OK with gutting.

The endgame is going to be the same.

I'll be brief since you censor my posts anyways. lol

Top Bottom