• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    With all this protestation, you'd think I was actually referring to you - but I wasn't. If the girl in the article is inviting teenage guys to sneak into her room for whatever reason. In the dead of night and continues to think this is acceptable in the face of her upbringing and then lies about knowing this guy she's let sneak into her room in the dead of night when confronted directly about it by her father who is armed, something in her upbringing has gone drastically awry along the way, whether it be parenting in general, or discipline, or rebelliousness - whatever the reason - the train has gone off the rails. I think that's a fair assessment. Yes, all children are different. Those differences don't automatically translate into differing behaviors except in the absence of standard, rigid discipline and rules and structure. To each his own, but now this father is paying the price for protecting his daughter who apparently doesn't have the good common sense God gave to turnips.

Your assessment is neither fair nor accurate, and you're certainly not taking into account the differences between children. Know how I know you've never had to raise a child with diminished cognitive abilities? Those children don't necessarily "have the common sense God gave to turnips", as you so eloquently put it :rolleyes:

Some kids are more prone to making poor decisions than others, regardless of their upbringing. Maybe those saying otherwise could see that if they weren't so far up on their high horses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With all this protestation, you'd think I was actually referring to you - but I wasn't. If the girl in the article is inviting teenage guys to sneak into her room for whatever reason in the dead of night and continues to think this is acceptable in the face of her upbringing and then lies about knowing this guy she's let sneak into her room in the dead of night when confronted directly about it by her father who is armed, something in her upbringing has gone drastically awry along the way, whether it be parenting in general, or discipline, or rebelliousness - whatever the reason - the train has gone off the rails. I think that's a fair assessment. Yes, all children are different. Those differences don't automatically translate into differing behaviors except in the absence of standard, rigid discipline and rules and structure. To each his own, but now this father is paying the price for protecting his daughter who apparently doesn't have the good common sense God gave to turnips.

Some may think as you do but you are not correct in this. Some kids are just self centered self serving self righteous dipp-****s. Good family's can have bad kids. I have seen it and experienced some of these things myself. No parent is perfect. There is not always a traceable path to mis-direction. My wife has 3 sisters and a brother. One of the absolute best family's I have ever known. The oldest sister went off the rails a long time ago and despite all of our best efforts she chose to orbit another planet other than this one. My only brother took the same path. Total losers despite every effort from good parents.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I had a similar situation occur about 13 yrs ago. I came home from working 2nd shift (sick, fevered). Spoke to my daughter briefly before she retired to her room. I grabbed a blanket and sprawled out on the couch to watch a little tv. I quickly fell asleep, not knowing my daughter had a boy in her room. She couldn't sneak him out as they would have to go past me to get to the door.

I woke up a couple of hours later, and was heading to my room when I decided to check in on my daughter. When I opened her door, I could see in the very dim light, a man (boy) in bed with her. I pulled my pistol from my pocket and started yelling as I reached for the light switch. Now, my daughter is sneaky but no liar. She immediately came to his defense.

Once I determined just who he was and what was going on, I put the gun back in my pocket and proceeded to teach the young man a lesson. I never did see him again, and never had anymore boy trouble from my daughter. Of course she may have just did a better job of hiding her indiscretions.

Just to clear things up a bit, I was a single father raising her alone since she was 3 months old. No mother in the house.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I have to side with the dad here. You are in your bed and one of your kids wakes you up and tells you that someone is in the house, you grab a gun and go to check it out. You find a guy in your daughters bed. She tells you she don't know him. He reaches for something. Between fear, rage. and not knowing what he is reaching for and being just awaken. I can see shooting. I feel for the father and the girl will have to live with what she did for the rest of her life. I would think a move would be a good thing for the family to a other state.

I raised both girls and a boy. I was never prudish enough to believe that the girls wouldn't be screwing around. They did have the good sense to not do it under my roof with me home. God and they only know what went on when I wasn't there.

Would I have shot the man type form in my daughters bed. I don't think so. I don't know that. But I do know what I did when I found two male forms running out my front door as I was heading in. I kicked one in the chest and the other I grabbed by the throat and held there till I told him to get the hell off my property and don't come back. His mom called the police and I had to explain what happened and apologize for grabbing him by the throat. I didn't go to jail. The two boys hated me and never came back. What helped my case was the one boy was as big as me and had been found in my house. If it hadn't been for that I would have gone to jail. He carried my hand print on his throat for two weeks, so I was told.

Stuff like this is just to sad. A life was lost for no other reason than lust, is what it looks like. If the dad don't go to jail it will cost him a lot of money to keep out of it. He will be in my prayers. I do feel for the man.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    You guys who think you have complete control over your kids' actions are crazy. Take it outside the realm of the immorality of screwing around and lying. What about the kids who are bulemic or cut/hurt themselves because they are chemically depressed? No parent ever knows this is happening, and bad parenting has nothing to do with it unless you count 'parenting' as the particular sperm reaching the egg. What about the kids who attempt or "succeed" at suicide out of the blue?

In a similar vein, some kids will be naturally much more rebellious. Some kids will simply not recognize or believe in the possibility of being caught. Some will never think of the consequences at all. For example, let's say I'm taking my girls to a rock quarry with a 20ft drop into the water where people typically jump. Assume it's perfectly safe and I've done it dozens of times myself. One of my girls will never, ever make that jump even if a bear is chasing her. Another will watch a few other people jump - maybe check the water herself - before deciding it's safe, then she'll try it. The youngest wouldn't do it unless somebody dared her or called her 'chicken.' The middle one, though, will go running for the cliff the first time she sees it with only the briefest thought of what's below. There's nothing different in the way these girls were raised. Their innate personalities lead them down different paths. From the time they were tiny babies these traits were showing up in the way they approached dogs, for instance, or the first day of school. They are their own people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys who think you have complete control over your kids' actions are crazy. Take it outside the realm of the immorality of screwing around and lying. What about the kids who are bulemic or cut/hurt themselves because they are chemically depressed? No parent ever knows this is happening, and bad parenting has nothing to do with it unless you count 'parenting' as the particular sperm reaching the egg. What about the kids who attempt or "succeed" at suicide out of the blue?

In a similar vein, some kids will be naturally much more rebellious. Some kids will simply not recognize or believe in the possibility of being caught. Some will never think of the consequences at all. For example, let's say I'm taking my girls to a rock quarry with a 20ft drop into the water where people typically jump. Assume it's perfectly safe and I've done it dozens of times myself. One of my girls will never, ever make that jump even if a bear is chasing her. Another will watch a few other people jump - maybe check the water herself - before deciding it's safe, then she'll try it. The youngest wouldn't do it unless somebody dared her or called her 'chicken.' The middle one, though, will go running for the cliff the first time she sees it with only the briefest thought of what's below. There's nothing different in the way these girls were raised. Their innate personalities lead them down different paths. From the time they were tiny babies these traits were showing up in the way they approached dogs, for instance, or the first day of school. They are their own people.

So very true. Look at the twins in my avatar....even at 1 year old they are polar opposites in demeanor and attitude. Mom is stay at home and sees to them constantly. We are a huge part of their lives as they live next door. Interesting to watch them develop.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So very true. Look at the twins in my avatar....even at 1 year old they are polar opposites in demeanor and attitude. Mom is stay at home and sees to them constantly. We are a huge part of their lives as they live next door. Interesting to watch them develop.

I bet money the troublesome one hangs out with you more

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not saying anything but yes, it certainly could have.

Come on, the best part is living to tell the tale.;) I am sure the statute of limitations are up by now. Those girls' parents are prolly dead by now. You can tell us. We can keep a secret.:popcorn:

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    Given the circumstances as described, So let's look at this as he was at the time, not with hindsight.Your asleep and one child comes and says there is a stranger in the house in another child's bedroom. You go to that child's bedroom, the child denies knowing the person (and we can probably assume it wasn't a calm "gosh Daddy, no" denial), and you hold the person at gun point until you can evaluate what's going on and summon the police. He doesn't listen to your commands, becomes confrontational, and starts reaching for things.If his story checks out, I'm not arresting him, I'm telling the prosecutor my opinion is no charges filed, he acted in a reasonable manner based on what the facts as he had them at the time. Hindsight says he shouldn't have shot, but the legal system doesn't judge you in hindsight.
    I agree completely. I'm surprised at all the people saying they wouldn't have shot the kid. With the info the father had at the time (if the article is accurate), I think it was legal shoot. The father finds a stranger in his daughter's BED, the father asks questions and, to his knowledge, believes the daughter doesn't know the kid. Father calls 911 while holding a gun in his hand and confronting the kid about it, the kid argues with a man holding a gun, and reaches for something. We don't know what kind of argument it was, though. Was the kid begging for his life, or was the kid being belligerent? What the daughter stated after the shooting about having known the kid and snuck him in, is not relevant because that info was not known to the father at the time of the shooting.

Last edited:

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    My personal opinion is that merely reaching for something is not a good enough reason to shoot someone. I'm trying to imagine what I would say when I'm in a similar situation and I shoot the boy out of pure rage. I keep coming back to "he was reaching for something".

Still, without knowing the exact details, if I were in the jury I would tend to let him go. It's tough to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he didn't act in self defense.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My personal opinion is that merely reaching for something is not a good enough reason to shoot someone.

True, however that isn't this scenario. Someone who, by all the facts you know at the time, is an intruder in your house and who is non-compliant when you have them at gunpoint is not "merely reaching for something."

I also find it interesting that so many people assume rage is the motivation.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    True, however that isn't this scenario. Someone who, by all the facts you know at the time, is an intruder in your house and who is non-compliant when you have them at gunpoint is not "merely reaching for something."I also find it interesting that so many people assume rage is the motivation.
    I have a daughter, so I can empathize, kinda. If all my life I see my daughter as this goody goody little princess, the fact that she's hiding a boy in her room would come down on me hard like a ton of bricks. I think deep down the dad knew what was going on, and he wasn't in a great mental state to be holding a gun.

Top Bottom