Houston's second gun buyback program sees record numbers: 'We believe this is the largest'

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That’s a bit of a twist you don’t hear much from these things:

“U.S. Rep. Al Green was also at the news conference and said the buyback program is "not an effort to take guns," but one way to return stolen guns to their rightful owners.

"We are obviously buying them, but if we find a gun, and this has happened, that was stolen, that gun is returned to the person that had the gun first," Green said. "You're going to get your gun back."”

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

“U.S. Rep. Al Green was also at the news conference and said the buyback program is "not an effort to take guns," but one way to return stolen guns to their rightful owners.

"We are obviously buying them, but if we find a gun, and this has happened, that was stolen, that gun is returned to the person that had the gun first," Green said. "You're going to get your gun back."”

Rep. Al Green,
    Please show me one, JUST ONE, example of a person who received their stolen gun back via a gun buy back program.
    I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm calling you a liar.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'd be curious to see if it did happen. Houston PD does say they check every gun to see if it is stolen or reported as being used in a crime. They destroy any gun that doesn't fit one of those two criteria.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rossi RS22 is around $110 on sale out the door. It's a semi-auto and you would net $90 profit :D
    Rural King Greensburg told me they had a 5 gun per week limit for a person to buy firearms. Said they would not sell anymore to am individual in a week.
    I ask if that was RK rules or some ATF rule. They didn't give me an answer.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Definitely a twist, most of the "buybacks" I've seen have stated that they don't check the firearms. The reason behind that is to get more turned in because people won't be afraid of getting charged with illegally possessed firearms, stolen, used in a crime, illegally modified, etc.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Definitely a twist, most of the "buybacks" I've seen have stated that they don't check the firearms. The reason behind that is to get more turned in because people won't be afraid of getting charged with illegally possessed firearms, stolen, used in a crime, illegally modified, etc.
    They probably do not have a way to associate a gun to a specific person, and I imagine they check them all back at the station or warehouse.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They probably do not have a way to associate a gun to a specific person, and I imagine they check them all back at the station or warehouse.
    Yeah, I'm sure they might check them at the station. But you don't think they have a way to track who turned in what gun? Heck I'd be willing to bet that quite a few that "don't check" have a way to track who turned in what. All it takes is a camera and some way of ordering which guns were turned in when at the most.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, I'm sure they might check them at the station. But you don't think they have a way to track who turned in what gun? Heck I'd be willing to bet that quite a few that "don't check" have a way to track who turned in what. All it takes is a camera and some way of ordering which guns were turned in when at the most.
    Or who used the gift card that was given for that gun…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Rossi RS22 is around $110 on sale out the door. It's a semi-auto and you would net $90 profit :D
    Rural King Greensburg told me they had a 5 gun per week limit for a person to buy firearms. Said they would not sell anymore to am individual in a week.
    I ask if that was RK rules or some ATF rule. They didn't give me an answer.
    Because its there rule.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I had a few firearms stolen years ago, I get a yearly letter from the Sheriffs Dept asking me to call in and tell them those firearms have not been recovered. They then stay in the data base for another year. They are the ones that entered the # in the database.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I had a few firearms stolen years ago, I get a yearly letter from the Sheriffs Dept asking me to call in and tell them those firearms have not been recovered. They then stay in the data base for another year. They are the ones that entered the # in the database.
    I was referring to some "buy backs" that say they don't check the firearms, it's supposed purpose is so people will turn in crime guns and/or stolen firearms without worrying about getting charged.

I remember people talking about how stolen guns wouldn't get returned to their rightful owners.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was referring to some "buy backs" that say they don't check the firearms, it's supposed purpose is so people will turn in crime guns and/or stolen firearms without worrying about getting charged.

I remember people talking about how stolen guns wouldn't get returned to their rightful owners.
    Most municipalities dont run firearms especially long guns for any reasons.
    Think how many would be returned if all ffl's were required to have all firearms cleared theough the national database before being sold.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Most municipalities dont run firearms especially long guns for any reasons.
    Think how many would be returned if all ffl's were required to have all firearms cleared theough the national database before being sold.
    True, but shouldn't guns that are going to be destroyed by the govt be checked to see if they were stolen before being destroyed? IMO yes.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Did This result in a stack of junk firearms that you wouldn’t load ammo into, much less shoot, with a Draco or an Uzi laying on top For the photo op?

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    All I saw were what I perceived as junk. Did not see any "assault" weapons of any kind in the pics.
    Looked like a lot of single shot shot guns, old .22's etc.
    Probably some collectible stuff in there, no doubt.

Top Bottom