• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I've been trying to strop my knives, but I just can't get the hang of it. What are your guys' opinion of the Spyderco sharpening sticks?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    +1 best sharpner i have ever owned, cant say enough good about them, and i have tried them all!

they are idiot proof (not that you are...but i am)

Last edited:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I purchased mine from Amazon. Also got the diamond sticks as well. Really help speed up re-profiling blades that are new to the system.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    yeah, looks like i might go the amazon route, they seem to be just about the cheapest online...

Suggestions on good videos or tutorials on how to sharpen a knife properly?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Got mine from a fellow INGO member. Sharpened all the Leathermen, camping knives and kitchen implements. Good stuff, and easy to use.

Mine came with a video (VHS, how quaint!) and a great instruction manual.

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I know a fellow INGO member that has one, and I was impressed. I'm really gonna have to search for a good deal on one.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I purchased mine from Amazon. Also got the diamond sticks as well. Really help speed up re-profiling blades that are new to the system.

Reprofiling? So would you use this on a blade like my esee junglas? Seems to me that the profile they put on it is what they believe to be the best, but i would have to change that if i were to use this system?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the only way to really reprofile blades with the sharpmaker is if you get the diamond stones. they are expensive and wear out rather quickly. Indygun you should be ok running it on the sharpmakers at the 40 degree side. I'm pretty sure that's what they set it to at the factory or pretty close.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Reprofiling? So would you use this on a blade like my esee junglas? Seems to me that the profile they put on it is what they believe to be the best, but i would have to change that if i were to use this system?

ESEE recommends on their website using the spyderco sharpmaker to keep their knives sharp ao you would be gtg with the junglas. The factory edge is 20degrees so use the 40degree side of the sharpmaker.

I started stropping just this week in conjunction with using the sharpmaker. Polishes the cutting edge and makes the knife insanely sharp.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

The system uses 30 degrees to knock down metal away from the edge, and 40 degrees to sharpen at the edge. I've had to take away the steel of a knife sharpened previously with a steep angle too far. Otherwise to takes forever to get the 40 degrees to a sharp edge, because you are taking of steel on a 1/16" swath.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom