• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    So I was searching for a 20" heavy barrel 308 and stumbled upon a Remington 700 at a local gunshop. It had a 1:10 twist, threaded muzzle and a Ghille green Houge stock but no where did it say AAC-SD. I just thought Remington did away with or just did tactical model that looked the same. I snatched it up and was out the door in 10 minutes. I got home and got it out of the box and looked it over admiring my find. I was closing the box back up when I looked at the sticker on the end and realized 16.5"barrel!!!

Man did I just screw up! Im going to call the shop today to see if they can do anything for me. If not then I may just see what this thing can do for me. Im probably only going to be shooting out to 300 yards but possibly out to 7-800 yards. Will a 16.5" barrel give me the velocity to get out that far? Wish me luck!

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'd say actually measure the barrel, they may have just recycled a box for a 16.5". I'd be surprised if they didn't allow you to return it, if they don't then I'd never do business with them again, especially if it is unfired. There's no reason why they shouldn't let you return it.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I hope I can return it. I called back the same day about it. Its not a large store and they said they had ordered it for a guy that had flaked on the deal. The gun wasn't on the shelf but in the back room in its box so Im sure its a 16.5.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    If that's the case, Ill either see what it can do or sell it NIB. Not a big deal either way. It was my fault for not checking the length. I admit that.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You might be surprised on how it shoots. But if interested I have a 20" Rem 700 Tactical in 308 if you wanna trade. Lol :)

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    300 will be a walk in the park for a 308. I also don't think you'll have trouble getting to 7-800 with it. Is it the preferred length, maybe not, but if you do your part that rifle will get there easy. That said I too would measure, the tactical is a standard 20" barrel I thought.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Colt, the more info I see on the 16.5 barrel, the more I want to just shoot it, although I may take you up on the trade.... Does yours have a threaded barrel?

This may not be too bad, especially once I get a can for it. May get a little push to help with the velocity.

Booya, I think this was a special order. I cant find it on Remingtons site and there aren't many reviews or info online for a 16.5 barrel 308. They are out there but not even as many as the AAC-SD! Quite a "rare" gun! LOL

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Keep it and put it in a good stock. It will do anything you want it to do and do it well most likely. Heavy short barrels can have some very impressive accuracy. Beside they are cool!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 16" barreled .308 that I've been wanting to try out on an Indiana whitetail this year.
    I'm glad to hear I might be able to get 300-400 yards out of it, though I'm sure I'm sure I won't need that much.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    After a bunch of research, Ive decided to keep it to see what I can do with it. It should be fun. From what Ive read and can believe on the interwebz, it still will reach out to 800+ yards but will take just the right ammo to do so. Im picking up a Vortex HST 4-16x44 this weekend from A&A Optics and will try to get out to Atturbury on Sunday to get it dialed in. The stock will be the first swap maybe this spring. Thanks for all the replies.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had an M1A SOCOM for a while and the 16" bbl on it performed pretty well. I only shot it at 100yds but it did as well as my 18.5" and 20" guns and was a "blast" to shoot as well! Close the bolt and run a cleaning rod down the bbl and mark it, then remove it and measure for exact length. I was half kidding on the trade but if you decide to later on at some point let me know. In the meantime enjoy it. My 700 is not threaded btw. :yesway:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    it will be no problem to get to 800 yards with it sir. just find a load it likes. I had a 16 inch set up with a mike rock 5r on it and had no problems with black hills ammo getting out there.

Lowlight on the hide used a POF with a chopped barrel. like 12 inches or something and was hitting targets at 600 with no problems.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Only thing that may get on your nerves is the muzzle blast. 16" is a bit short for a 308 for me just for that reason alone.

There's plenty of things you can screw on the muzzle to handle that though. The accuracy you'll get out of it should be able to make up for the other short comings, velocity won't be much lower.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I had planned on a can. Probably apply next year after funds start freeing up again. Until then, a new stock is the first swap out going to happen. I like the feel of the Houge but man is the forend flimsy! Ill probably go with the same thing everyone else is, Bell and Carlson. Then maybe a bolt knob. Then just put rounds down range till its quiet time!

Top Bottom