• ...and so much more!
  • Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Biden's yammering on about $15 minimum wage. Between that, oil price hikes, tax hikes, our cost of living is going to be insane. It'll effect everyone, even Biden supporters.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Biden's yammering on about $15 minimum wage. Between that, oil price hikes, tax hikes, our cost of living is going to be insane. It'll effect everyone, even Biden supporters.

That's what some some here voted for.....along with further errosion of the limits place on government in the second amendment.

jkoontzie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    Mishawaka
    I think you're applying today's social morality to people who lived in a different social circumstance. I think you're too willing to vilify them. I'm not sure the point of view from which you're judging them even existed then, and if it did, it would have been extraordinarily rare.

Morality is largely subjective. The only objective morality is those moral principles which are universal to all humans. If you look at the history of the period, the only opposition to manifest destiny was from the Whigs. And their reasoning was more about anti-slavery. They were concerned that manifest destiny would make those new territories into eventual slave states. It had nothing to do with the indigenous people that would be displaced.

So clearly, the morality of the period had not evolved to the point where you are. Morality is not as universal across time and space as activists want it to be. Whoever told you to look down your nose at them because "making space" is immoral, was full of ****. TODAY it is immoral. It was not back then.

Trial by combat was also considered legitimate back then too as a proof of guilt or innocence. Manifest destiny was a gage of superiority as well. Cleansing to nation build is no more moral than ethnic cleansing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Trial by combat was also considered legitimate back then too as a proof of guilt or innocence. Manifest destiny was a gage of superiority as well. Cleansing to nation build is no more moral than ethnic cleansing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trial by combat was mimicking nature in that the strongest was seen as fit to rule/prevail. It also was a dandy way to settle an argument once and for all

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Trial by combat was mimicking nature in that the strongest was seen as fit to rule/prevail. It also was a dandy way to settle an argument once and for all

Once and for all? No, not if both survived. It doesn't always end in the death of 1.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Once and for all? No, not if both survived. It doesn't always end in the death of 1.
    You could only end the combat, short of the death of a combatant, by yielding - which should also end the argument

Should you go back on that, you would be dishonored and killed anyway

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You could only end the combat, short of the death of a combatant, by yielding - which should also end the argument

Good thing that nonsense ended.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville

I was thinking more along the lines of the last 100 years or so. If you use Mr. Peabody's way back machine you are correct.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Trial by combat was a practical solution with a feudal social structure where the whole countryside could get messed up because of a serious disagreement resulting in the taking up of sides.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    A simple way for Biden to unite the country: organize a BI-PARTISAN investigative group, with Democrat and Republican leaders, to investigate vote fraud and provide evidence and recommendations for prosecution to appropriate state and/or federal prosecutors.
    The group would need to be transparent and speak as one; any and all "leaks" would need to be immediately denounced.
    Obviously, everyone wants vote fraud to be punished. This would allow Biden to demonstrate his commitment to unifying the country
    A simple way for Biden to unite the country: organize a BI-PARTISAN investigative group, with Democrat and Republican leaders, to investigate vote fraud and provide evidence and recommendations for prosecution to appropriate state and/or federal prosecutors.
    The group would need to be transparent and speak as one; any and all "leaks" would need to be immediately denounced.
    Obviously, everyone wants vote fraud to be punished. This would allow Biden to demonstrate his commitment to unifying the country.
    Obiden does not want to unite the country, he wants to subjugate those that are not inline with global politics. He wants to remove every means that over half the country have at resistance, he wants to sell our sovereignty to the UN and our business to the Chinese. There is no other way to say it, he is a horrible person bent on subjugation, following the whims of his masters

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    IMO you are wrong. We would be better off in a world where your personal honor was more important than your life. For one thing, we would need far fewer lawyers
    I’d rather be in a society where the best arguments and ideas win, AND people have a sense of honor and decency. We’ve socially evolved beyond the nonsense of might makes right. Unfortunately, and not necessarily related to that we’ve socially devolved away from honor. Honor and reason don’t have to be mutually exclusive.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I’d rather be in a society where the best arguments and ideas win, AND people have a sense of honor and decency. We’ve socially evolved beyond the nonsense of might makes right. Unfortunately, and not necessarily related to that we’ve socially devolved away from honor. Honor and reason don’t have to be mutually exclusive.
    I was thinking more Bushido, not might makes right

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I was thinking more Bushido, not might makes right
    Nothing wrong with honor as long as it’s sane: And if someone is behaving dishonorably there’s nothing wrong with some proportional consequences.

Probably we aren’t thinking in the same context. Establishing guilt or innocence based on physical combat isn’t justice. Deciding whose ideas are worthy isn’t best decided by fists, although that’s sometimes the only way to resolve those kinds of conflicts. That was the context I had in mind.

Top Bottom