• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Technically even if you have a mag restriction, it doesn't mean go .45 is better. People still handle a 9mm better than a .45, full size or small. If you chamber a 1911 in 9mm, then the weight of the gun make the recoil of the round feel even better. Not saying you should go to a smaller gun because of wasted spare for rounds that you don't have. The handling of a full size gun in 9mm is still good. The only down size is that 10 round limit

I can not disagree. Keep in mind that I carry a commander sized 1911 in 9mm, shoot single stack minor at club activitie and my wife keeps a 9mm Kimber 1911 in the nightstand safe. So I am all about "full size" 9mm handguns. Although the 9mm 1911 has been around for years it is only recently, and well after the sunset of The AWB that it has gained popularity. It is becoming popular now for the very reasons you listed. But it is still somewhat of a novelty compared to the polymer guns and was near impossible to find in the 90s.

The better way of looking at this would be to ask this question. How popular would Glock 17 or 19s be if the 10 round magazine restriction were still in place? And California doesn't count here. My bet is the marketplace would look different then it does today.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I can not disagree. Keep in mind that I carry a commander sized 1911 in 9mm, shoot single stack minor at club activitie and my wife keeps a 9mm Kimber 1911 in the nightstand safe. So I am all about "full size" 9mm handguns. Although the 9mm 1911 has been around for years it is only recently, and well after the sunset of The AWB that it has gained popularity. It is becoming popular now for the very reasons you listed. But it is still somewhat of a novelty compared to the polymer guns and was near impossible to find in the 90s.

The better way of looking at this would be to ask this question. How popular would Glock 17 or 19s be if the 10 round magazine restriction were still in place? And California doesn't count here. My bet is the marketplace would look different then it does today.

I daresay we'd be seeing much the same pistols with high capacity magazines for LE only, and the rest of the populace only being able to (legally) get 10 round magazines for the same pistols. There would be a black market cottage industry illegally modifying 10 round magazines to attain or exceed LE magazine capacities. There would be considerable forum discussion and YouTube videos instruction for quickly dropping an empty magazine and reloading another without skipping a beat in the rate of fire. In the effort to practice this, there would, without doubt, be a few negligent discharges from folks practicing it with live ammunition, and the postings about them on this and other forums.

John
    [who is very glad the AWB expired without renewal]

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Count me among those that still think that caliber matters. Not a lot, but there's still a difference. I'm a member of the church of "The first three rounds needs to be your best three rounds". I believe in carrying the biggest gun you can handle and that you can rapidly draw and fire 3 rounds in short order. Any caliber can kill, but some might just do it faster than others. I always go back to wound volume. If you want to stop an attacker before he/she can pull a trigger killing you, your wife or your child, then seconds matter. a .380 round to the chest might kill someone, but mathematically, a .45 has the potential to do it quicker. Either way, the perp ends up on the slab at the morgue, but the difference might be whether or not you are on the slab next to him. You want to do as much damage as possible with those first three (and statistically, maybe only 3) rounds you send their way. A .45 calculates to a 3 shot wound volume of 14.5 to 15 cubic inches. A .40 comes in at around 13.5 cu/in. A 9mm comes in anywhere from 6.6 to 10 depending on the bullet. That's a huge difference in capability to wound whether or not the attacker ends up dead in the end.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I like 9mm because it feeds better than .45 in my Luger. I like .45 because that's what I carry and trust...sort of like .45-70 is the only government I trust. I saw a lot of evidence from a jungle in SE Asia that indicated a .45 will stop doped up sappers when a .22 cal would not.

I think there's a current RFI out from the army that says the same thing.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I remember my first handgun, which was a Glock 19 purchased in about 2000. Funny enough, I got it all the way home before I realized that the magazines were only 10 rounds! Ugh. I forget when the magazine capacity regulations expired, but I know I paid more than a fair amount for standard capacity Glock mags back then.

Another interesting Clinton story...One of my family members has a near Mint Polytech AK, which he purchased in the 80s prior to the AWB. Anyhow, I started researching it a few years ago and found a story about how Clinton delayed the AWB just long enough to allow the unloading and import of these Chinese made AKs from their docked cargo ship. I believe the Chinese government gave him a sizable "political" contribution in return for his help. Worth a google.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    .45 ACP kills the body and soul. 10MM kills both plus makes his children impotent. .357 Sig kills him, penetrates through the earth and kills a Chinaman on the other side. Proven facts.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    10MM kills both plus makes his children impotent. .357 Sig kills him, penetrates through the earth and kills a Chinaman on the other side. Proven facts.

It's amazing the calibers we create to get to what the .357 Magnum already is....

A .357 magnum is the only item that can be launched from earth and see the dark side of the moon....From a carbine of course....A 4 inch barrel revolver just won't quite get it there....You need that extra 14 inches of barrel and a sealed chamber to catch on to the moon's gravitational pull....

:)

Top Bottom