• Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Is it a march or a protest?

A march will end at a point and the organizer may speak to the marchers within their group. No permit is required. The ACLU says it is ok to march in the street if not impeding traffic. Which is true, if there's no sidewalk or easement. But that guy believes he has the ACLU's blessing to march on any street. And really it's the fault of the ACLU for not being clear.

A march may end at a protest, rallying the masses. And that requires applying for an event permit 60 days ahead of time with the local police, paying a permit fee, and leaving a safety contact number.

I wouldn't say he's dumb. He is ignorant of the law and resistant to education.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA

A march will end at a point and the organizer may speak to the marchers within their group. No permit is required. The ACLU says it is ok to march in the street if not impeding traffic. Which is true, if there's no sidewalk or easement. But that guy believes he has the ACLU's blessing to march on any street. And really it's the fault of the ACLU for not being clear.

A march may end at a protest, rallying the masses. And that requires applying for an event permit 60 days ahead of time with the local police, paying a permit fee, and leaving a safety contact number.

The courts, not the ACLU, interpret the law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    An hour +43? Can someone cliff note this thing.

The courts, not the ACLU, interpret the law.

Yes. Governments can place reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on the exercise of speech as long as they are viewpoint neutral.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    An hour +43? Can someone cliff note this thing.

Jackbooted Thug: "You can march, but you have to stay on the sidewalk. If you don't and cause a public safety issue, you'll be breaking the law"
    Videographer Thug: "I can do what I want, I'm exercising my rights"

JT: "No, you can't. Here's the IC (highlighted) law(s) you'll be breaking."
    VT: "That doesn't matter, we can exercise our 1A any way we want."

JT: "Yes it does"
    VT: "No it doesn't"

I think that covers the high points. There may be some additional on-scene "legal" arguments, but that's the jist of the action.

The relevant stuff starts well into that 1:43:00 live stream.
    EDIT: maybe 1:20:00 or so?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for the pinpoint.

OK...wowzers.

I like marches and protests whether I'm 100% on board with the issues they are promoting. Rights that don't get exercised, go away, so they are protecting all of our freedom of speach.

That being said, as far as I can tell, the cop was correct. Reasonable time, place and manner restrictions that are viewpoint neutral.

...Oh, the the lady that was speaking before that...the "we're all gods" theology? Oof, but there's another thread for that discussion.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

Heh, anyone could be at fault for believing something said by the ACLU.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'll add, there are codes about protesting in neighborhoods. I guess if you just drive your parade by someone's house, that's probably not illegal. But get out of your car at their house and protest.....

I recall people driving through the police chief's neighborhood.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'll add, there are codes about protesting in neighborhoods. I guess if you just drive your parade by someone's house, that's probably not illegal. But get out of your car at their house and protest.....

I recall people driving through the police chief's neighborhood.

Nice neighborhood too.

Top Bottom