How come more pistols don't have an open top slide like the M9?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    It seems like a really great way to save weight, and if implemented on a modern polymer based gun could give a really lightweight final product. And if the M9 is .mil standard issue, it must not have too many issues with reliability. It looks like there'd be a lot of potential in that type of platform. Is there something I'm missing?

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    poly guns are ridiculously light already why do they need to be lighter? would that not increase recoil? i rather see a glock with no finger groves.:twocents:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    From an engineering standpoint...the opening in the slide is being pulled open by the force of the gases so it carries no real load....if it was being pushed open from the front it might be a problem(but I doubt it too)...but being pulled would put less force on it I think.

On a polymer gun...not sure. Same principal applies but I can't foresee it being an issue either as a polymer gun still has a metal slide on it.

Not sure why the M9 does it...I have held one but never really looked at it torn apart.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    most common pistols have the locking lugs that mate the barrel to the slide on top of the barrel. the beretta / walther design with the falling locking block allows the open-top design. The JMB designs of the 1911 and browning (on which the glocks/Sigs/M&Ps/etc are based) are considerably more durable.

From there it's a debate about whether the open-top design is better because it lets the cases eject easier or if it's worse because it allows in more debris.

There was a version of the M9 w/ a closed slide and std-looking ejection port.... quite rare. The "dolphin" slide, iirc. edit: from Phrobis.

http://www.justpistols.co.uk/dolphin_real.htm

berettaphrobis7.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Love the Thoughts behind Dolphin Slide, but it was never actually put in production...

Single Biggest drawback to M9/92 is lack of Front Barrel lockup similar to 1911's... Slide change that would fix this would be something I'm willing to hand over $$$'s toward for my 92's.

Second in line for M9/92's is easily resolved with about a $4 Wolf 13lb Trigger Spring... :) Oh and ~$50 for Sear/Hammer/Trigger Bar Polish.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Single Biggest drawback to M9/92 is lack of Front Barrel lockup similar to 1911's... Slide change that would fix this would be something I'm willing to hand over $$$'s toward for my 92's.

It can't lock up similar to 1911 since the barrel doesn't move vertically during lockup. The M9 locks up just fine in its own way, it's just different than the 1911.

Few people understand how the M9 locks up, so to most it's a "problem." The 1911 gets two points of contact at the muzzle since it can tilt down and "unlock" those two points during recoil. The M9 doesn't tilt so a similar system up front would just bind the gun up. The barrel of an M9 comes to rest at the bottom of the opening in the slide. This is its repeatable stop (most think it's just 'loose' and that not being centered is a problem, and blame it for their poor accuracy). The breech in the slide pushes forward on the barrel, causing the locking block to stop on the take-down lever. This causes the barrel to 'cam over' so the muzzle hits the bottom of the slide, and now the gun is locked up. If not for a place to hold the front sight, you wouldn't even need the top half of the front of the slide.

I competed with a 92 for many years. It's accuracy is on par w/ any mass production 1911 out there (not talking custom shops like les baer). I could ring an 8" plate at 75 yds about 80% of the time w/ just good sights and some trigger work.

The 1911 is better for "accurizing" and bullseye use, but not better in terms of the guns provided to the troops...

-rvb

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I was surprised at this question. Most 92 owners I know complain about the slide. I can't imagine why anyone would want one like it. Could be just me.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    It can't lock up similar to 1911 since the barrel doesn't move vertically during lockup. The M9 locks up just fine in its own way, it's just different than the 1911.

Few people understand how the M9 locks up, so to most it's a "problem." The 1911 gets two points of contact at the muzzle since it can tilt down and "unlock" those two points during recoil. The M9 doesn't tilt so a similar system up front would just bind the gun up. The barrel of an M9 comes to rest at the bottom of the opening in the slide. This is its repeatable stop (most think it's just 'loose' and that not being centered is a problem, and blame it for their poor accuracy). The breech in the slide pushes forward on the barrel, causing the locking block to stop on the take-down lever. This causes the barrel to 'cam over' so the muzzle hits the bottom of the slide, and now the gun is locked up. If not for a place to hold the front sight, you wouldn't even need the top half of the front of the slide.

I competed with a 92 for many years. It's accuracy is on par w/ any mass production 1911 out there (not talking custom shops like les baer). I could ring an 8" plate at 75 yds about 80% of the time w/ just good sights and some trigger work.

The 1911 is better for "accurizing" and bullseye use, but not better in terms of the guns provided to the troops...

-rvb
    Thank you. I havent seen any die without sustaining something which would not also kill a 1911.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Thank you. I havent seen any die without sustaining something which would not also kill a 1911.

I was just speaking in terms of accuracy from the guns. I think the locking system of the 1911 has better durability (less likelyhood of part failure) than the M9... however.... the improvements to the locking block over the years have closed that gap for sure.

M9 compared to GI M1911 (both w/ GI ball) I think the reliability (likelyhood of malfunction) is pretty even... 92FS compared to average commercial 1911s, I think the 92 is hands down more reliable. But that's not a function of the open-top slide, that's a function of magazine feed angle, adhearance to specs (with a 92FS you are getting a mil-spec slide with different roll marks, w/ a commercial 1911 you are getting some shops interpretation or re-design of the specs), etc.

:twocents:

-rvb

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    It seems like a really great way to save weight, and if implemented on a modern polymer based gun could give a really lightweight final product. And if the M9 is .mil standard issue, it must not have too many issues with reliability. It looks like there'd be a lot of potential in that type of platform. Is there something I'm missing?
    Glock 34, 35, 17L, 24 but these are the competition length and have longer slides. They are out there but just not required or needed as mentioned in other posts.

Not sure if it would be more costly in the manufacturing process or not since it would need milled out vs. cast

Top Bottom