How did the nuclear accident get this bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    And to think, Toshiba or Mitsubishi or something....want to sell us all mini reactors to put in our house....

Right, let's not adopt newer, very safe designs because an old, very much less safe design had problems in one of the most extreme natural events ever to occur on the planet. We can't do without the power provided by those less safe reactors, but we can't replace them with safer designs because of mindless fear-mongering. Brilliant.:rolleyes:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I can't help to think how things would look here if the New Madrid fault really lets loose with all the nuclear reactors in the midwest and the oak ridge reactor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Can't speak for what is still running at Oak Ridge, but the rest of the units in the midwest are pressurized water reactors, different from what is in trouble over in Japan. PWR design is what is used in the navy and has a separate hot loop. This connects to a heat exchanger which provides steam for the turbines. The japanese reactors include the turbine in the hot loop, a less complicated desgin known as a boiling water reactor. PWR and BWR are both light water reactors and need the water to keep the reaction going.:)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    It just got worse. According to Japanese news reports, Reactor number 2 exploded. Primary containment vessel breeched. Radiation readings bad, but not that bad. 800 microsievert is 80 millirem per hour. I would say that they are in a whole new level of hurt.

Per Kyodo News:
    BREAKING NEWS: TEPCO admits possibility of meltdown at Fukushima reactors (09:29 Tokyo time)

Watch NHK World Live TV from Japan.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    So what is the risk of fallout to us in the states?

Or do they still not know?

I've heard the entire spectrum of what's going to happen. It ranges from "we're not going to be effected" to one person that came in saying, "OMG, OMG, OMG, we're all gonna die, the nuclear power plants in Japan are blowing up!!!!!"

ETA, found my answer in a link posted in a similar thread. Everybody should read it before passing along the wild claims that MSNBC etc are making.

MIT NSE Nuclear Information Hub (http://web.mit.edu/nse/) | Information about the incident at the Fukushima Nuclear Plants in Japan hosted by http://web.mit.edu/nse/ :: Maintained by the students of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering a

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So what is the risk of fallout to us in the states?

Or do they still not know?

I've heard the entire spectrum of what's going to happen. It ranges from "we're not going to be effected" to one person that came in saying, "OMG, OMG, OMG, we're all gonna die, the nuclear power plants in Japan are blowing up!!!!!"

ETA, found my answer in a link posted in a similar thread. Everybody should read it before passing along the wild claims that MSNBC etc are making.

MIT NSE Nuclear Information Hub (http://web.mit.edu/nse/) | Information about the incident at the Fukushima Nuclear Plants in Japan hosted by http://web.mit.edu/nse/ :: Maintained by the students of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering a

A very good read, and to those who haven't read it, make sure you scroll down far enough to read the post by Dr Josef Oehmen .

Clearly a lot of S has hit the F over there, but it sounds like a complete Chernobyl like event is very unlikely, even with the problems they are having getting the reactors to cool down.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The USA has 104 nuclear reactors. Should we just shut them down just in case?

It's hard to compare the two technologies of LWR although they are similar. I think a lot of what they are doing over there right now is educated guess work because of uncertain data. Best of luck to them, a lot of hard decisions will have to be made without much info to work with.

Top Bottom