How difficult is it for a lefty to shoot a pump shotgun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    I am right handed while my wife is a lefty. We are looking into picking up a shotgun (maybe two) but were wondering how problematic it is for a lefty to fire a pump with a right side ejection port. Any left-handed shooters care to share their experiences?

I know that there are left handed shotguns (although pickings seem to be slim), and she may prefer a 20 gauge for herself, so we may just settle on "his and hers."

Thanks and Happy New Year!

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I am right handed while my wife is a lefty. We are looking into picking up a shotgun (maybe two) but were wondering how problematic it is for a lefty to fire a pump with a right side ejection port. Any left-handed shooters care to share their experiences?

I know that there are left handed shotguns (although pickings seem to be slim), and she may prefer a 20 gauge for herself, so we may just settle on "his and hers."

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    No problem at all.
    I've done it for fifty years. ;)

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    If your choosing between Mossberg and Remington, the safety on the mossberg is on the top of the reciever, better for a leftie.

Have you looked at bottom eject pumps? The browning BPS is a good example.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    They make a Lefty 870.

5577_1.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Find a model 37 Ithica. It is a bottom ejector and a great shotgun. Whatever brand you buy, be sure it does not have a right handed stock, or a stock that has been set up specifically for a right handed shooter. I have mine set up with quite a bit of cast and rise, so it works great for me but a short lefty would never be able to hit anything.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Those guys beat me to it but look for an Ithica. Great shotguns and they eject out of the bottom of the receiver. I have a couple Ihica Military/Police shotguns and they are great guns.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I'm left-handed and have used shotguns for hunting. I would suggest that she get used to carrying the gun upside down with her left hand near the safety. When she needs to bring it up, she can snap the safety off and bring it up to eye level very quickly. The other thing I used to do when hunting with more than one person was to walk on the right side of the line with my shotgun pointing to the right. This kept the muzzle pointing away from the rest of the guys in the line. They, of course carried their guns point to the left. It was safer that way.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I am not a lefty but, for some strange reason I shoot all long guns left handed and I have never had a problem in that area. My friends always tell me I am going to get hit by an ejecting shell. It hasn't happened yet. Never had a problem with my pump shotgun

jhaynes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I grew up shooting right handed Remington 870 shotguns left handed. The only problem I had was with getting the safety off quickly while hunting. When I was old enough to have my own I simply installed a left handed safety button (still easy to buy and install). Now I own a left handed 870. I also have owned several Browning BPS shotguns. They have bottom feed and ejection and a top tang safety so they are completly ambidextious. The ejection port really only matters on semi-auto guns. Sometimes hot powder will fly back in my face. You control when the action opens on a pump gun so not an issue. I've shot a lot of righ handed pump guns and never had a shell casing come close enough to my face to bother me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm slightly right handed but very much left eye dominant, so I shoot everything left handed by default, although switching over is no problem. I have a 500 and a 590, and like the safety on those. I actually prefer right handed firearms; in case I have to pick something up somewhere I'll most likely be familiar with it. When you get to a bolt rifle, keep your finger on the trigger and work the bolt with your right hand. You'll be amazed how fast you can cycle aimed shots.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm slightly right handed but very much left eye dominant, so I shoot everything left handed by default, although switching over is no problem. I have a 500 and a 590, and like the safety on those. I actually prefer right handed firearms; in case I have to pick something up somewhere I'll most likely be familiar with it. When you get to a bolt rifle, keep your finger on the trigger and work the bolt with your right hand. You'll be amazed how fast you can cycle aimed shots.

How about just keeping your finger near the trigger.

The problem I have is that my thumb is in the way or I have to bring my head up too much.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    with comparison to the M500 vs Rem. 870 the mossberg's safety caters to the lefty but not a deal breaker. It's also easier to do a combat load for lefty

Top Bottom