How do I find out who owns a specific plot of land?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    There is a plot of land that I would like to hunt. It is in Hendricks County. Short of going to the court house, or buying a plat book, is there an online resource for this type of thing?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Go to the county courthouse that the land is in and go there with some addresses in the area and tell them you need to see the plat book for that area. They will be able to look the specifics up once you are able to ID from the plat book. See if they will call the owner and get permission to give you the owner's number to speak with them.
    You could also find a house on some adjoining land and ask them if they know who the owner is...it might be them.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I plan on hitting all the neighbors up to find out. I also planned on the courthouse. Can't use those web sites because the land does not have an exact address.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Most counties in Indiana have the GIS mapping online. Just google the county including GIS mapping. You can find out property lines, tax information, ownership, and historical data for the land. It's an awesome resource!

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Beacon Home

Here you go. Select the state, then the county, then...if you search by map, you can navigate to the plot (zoom in) and select it. All the owner info and tax info you need. You'd be surprised how much property info is online.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Beacon looks promising...

Guy's name is Stephen H Dayton. Found his address. Oo hoo hoo.

Last edited:

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have thought about using this approach too, but also have thought twice about it. Once you track down the owners, how do you go about talking to them? Write them a letter, look them up in the phone book and call them, or what? Also when you say that you found their info online, doesn't that kinda seem like your stalking them?

I'm not trying to step on any toes here or start anything, I'm just asking because I'm interested. I know the info is public information, and all but I don't know how I'd feel if I was the farmer. Has anyone had luck with this approach?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    What I did was went by name, used 411which cross references by address, which beacon also gave me his home address. I struck out at that because his number is disconnected. I feel a letter would be a dead end, even if I include a phone number and ask him to call me. He lives close enough I intend to drive over there (after a good shower and shave, dressed business casual), and ask him in person. The worst he can do is tell me no.

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    Another thread that makes me happy I joined INGO! I just used this to find out the land adjacent to my hunting property is owned by the city in which I hunt. My question: How does one obtain permission to access/hunt the land owned by the city? There are over 100 acres here that would be a nice addition. What say you, INGO?

nismoz33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg HVL
    I'm striking out on finding this sort of GIS information for Ripley county. Any INGO members have a link to a GIS map for Ripley County?

Beacon doesn't give a map & when I type in a known good address, it returns no results.

Top Bottom