How do I get my wife more interested in the outdoors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jocmurph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    Indy Northside
    I am trying to figure out some new ways to get my wife more interested in the outdoors. I think her biggest fear is the bugs. Has anyone else had this issue with their lady? Were you able to ever get them out with you? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my time alone in the woods, but I would also like to bring her along sometimes. Thanks for any advice.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    758.jpg.thumb_1000x1000.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My wife isn't so much afraid of bugs, she just doesn't like them buzzing and biting her. Then there's the heat and humidity--she has a very low upper temperature comfort zone.

If your girl is like mine, you might wait to try to get her out once cooler weather hits and the bugs and stuff are gone for the season.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah the thermacells are nice! I would just try not to take her in areas you are most likely to encounter those kinds of things, at least at first. What are you wanting to get her doing outside??

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I once wanted this to happen as well. Then one day I realized if she comes hunting with me, she will realize I really don't need a new gun every year along with all of the other crap I claim is needed. I also make it a time to stop and eat at places she wont on my way home.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I guess I'm lucky. My wife doesn't like bugs/spiders/snakes but she will happily spend 8 hours in a prairie dog town on a 90 degree day with no shade trying to melt the barrel off a rifle. I think it's the "reactive" targets. :)

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If your wife isn't interested in the outdoors and she wasn't interested in the outdoors before you were married, quit trying to change her. If you spend your time outdoors and she wants to be with you, she'll be able to find the door on her own.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mine took 25 yrs to start developing an interest beyond casual.
    Brought home tons of geese, rabbit, deer and dove.
    Now says she might want to try.
    Have no clue why the sudden cool factor.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just like introducing kids to the outdoors, you have to make it fun. Make the trip to the woods a date. Picnic in the woods with a bottle of wine and some wild flowers the two of you pick on the way. Women love that crap. Start slow with short trips and let her fall in love with the woods.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So you want to change your wife's mind about something .... when someone figures this out men everywhere will make him a rich man. Seriously if she doesn't enjoy it why force it, thank God my wife doesn't want me to like sewing and shopping.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I want her to go sit with me for an all day hunt.

Are you prepared to spend the day discussing your feelings? Or are you going to shush her because you're hunting?

Good luck with this particular endeavor. Sitting in the woods watching somebody else hunt sounds as attractive to me as an all day dental appointment, and I *like* being outside.

Maybe try backpacking or canoeing or something that lets her be an active participant. My wife got into backpacking because we made it an outing. Even a 3 mile hike, we'd take a backpack with some snacks, take the camera, etc. We got a book with different trails to try, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2015
    New Carisle
    My wife is adventurous, she has been on a 75 mile backpacking trip with me in the Ozarks, and she is the camping leader for the kids at church. How she got interested in backpacking was a few friends and I from work started going on backpacking trips together. There is older woman friend that is in this group, a real outdoorsy type. She was 59 when we mere, and this lady was in better shape than some of the slugs I went to basic with. My wife and her just hit it off, and ever since then she loves being outdoors.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One day mine just asked to go hunting. I gave her a 44 mag and set her in a tree stand, said don't shoot at anything more than 15 yards away. The next season she had her own equipment. You just never know when it will happen.

Top Bottom