How do I get my wife to let me go shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Do you sit down with her every week and plan out the things you are doing a month in advance?

When she puts down "shopping" you write next to it "shooting range" then after it put

"dinner 6pm"

She'll never know what hit her.

Zach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    To the many responses...

Yes we are young 24 and 25. We have been together 9 years. I have the two guns but 0 ammunition. I have felt her out and here is what I have concluded so far...

She is not against guns... she is against them in the house. She is against having a loaded weapon.

She is not against me hunting. Her brother actually used to. She even mentioned me and her brother should go hunting sometime. (which would be fine since we are all so close)

I think my biggest issue will be getting her to allow me to purchase a new gun. I would love a rifle and am working her over SLOWLY as suggested on this.

I will make a new post about what kind of rifle I should look for... watch out for the post and let me know!!

Cheers!
    Zach

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To the many responses...

Yes we are young 24 and 25. We have been together 9 years. I have the two guns but 0 ammunition. I have felt her out and here is what I have concluded so far...

She is not against guns... she is against them in the house. She is against having a loaded weapon.

She is not against me hunting. Her brother actually used to. She even mentioned me and her brother should go hunting sometime. (which would be fine since we are all so close)

I think my biggest issue will be getting her to allow me to purchase a new gun. I would love a rifle and am working her over SLOWLY as suggested on this.

I will make a new post about what kind of rifle I should look for... watch out for the post and let me know!!

Cheers!
    Zach

It sounds like she's bought into the Brady myths that one should store guns and ammo separately, behind different locks in different places. An unloaded gun, they say, is just an expensive paperweight. I doubt she thinks the car should be emptied of gasoline when it's in the garage or that the blades should be removed from the kitchen knives when they're not in use, despite the harm that can be caused by improper use of those things. The key is that they are things. They do nothing by themselves, but require a person to initiate action for good or evil.

That said, you've not said whether or not there are children in the house. If there are, then yes, a gun not in immediate use should be kept unloaded and safely locked away until the children can be taught about safety. Please read the suggestions located at Cornered Cat regarding gunproofing children rather than childproofing guns for more on this. To those, I will only add that we teach children such concepts as "stop, drop, and roll" and we teach them to "call 911"-how much harder is it to teach them, "Stop-Don't touch! Leave the area. Tell an adult."?
    (for clarification, a gun kept loaded for home defense is "in immediate use", as it must be ready for action at any time.)

I'm going to suggest that you invite her to come on INGO and read... she doesn't have to make a username or post anything, though she would be welcome to do so, especially if her mind is open to listening to the thoughts others express. It would be better if she was able to meet some of our female members in person, someplace non-threatening, like maybe at a restaurant after a range day, where she could listen, converse, and learn.

I wish you luck and if she reads this... Hi Mrs. Zach. Welcome.

Blessings,
    B

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    When I first brought a firearm into the home I did lock the ammo in a separate container from the locked firearm. That fact helped to comfort my wife and myself. Now I do things a bit differently, but with time I have been able to better gauge real risk vs. real gain. And now my wife has become comfortable enough with my skill, care, and professionalism to trust me with my choices.

A part of that IS training the kidlets, but at the same time, if you now have firearms and no ammo - then having ammo and firearms in the same house even if both are locked up is a major gain for you! You may not be well prepared for a home invasion, but you will be prepared for a Katrina or even a person trying to bang down your front door. Just make good choices and have backup plans with the safes.

Go slow. Make no mistakes. Get the firearms and ammo in on parole. Earn your way up to a level of respect from her. Go overboard with safety and do it loudly.

And most of all be loving and patient.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Zach,
    Good idea storing seperate. As a matter of fact it's one of the top three safety issues with firearms. When I teach firearms safety courses I make it know that even though keeping the ammo out of the gun and stored seperate ,it is not a good tactical move for home defense. I tell the class that is a judgment call on their part.

Good luck on the long gun. Will it be for hunting, defense, or target. The AR platforms can pretty much cover all the bases for you. Dennis

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I started having her with me at the range.... after she watched me a couple times. She changed her mind and wanted to try. Now she likes it and will go with me every now and then... or my mom will go with me...lol We was at pops a couple days ago (me and mom) I bet ther was atleast 1 INGO member there. I think I need a shooting buddie....lol just realized they are the only ones that will goto the range with me...lol

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Zack, this is simple. Sit down with your wife and tell her that the break in really scared you. It is your duty as a husband to protect her the best that you can. In order to do that, she too must learn to shoot the gun. What if there is another break-in and you're harmed in some way and can't protect her? She's on her own. She needs to learn how to shoot as well. You teaching her how to shoot and be comfortable with a gun IS protecting her.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I can't believe noone here has hit on the obvious yet. Been married for soon to be 37 years and one thing I can guarantee is that large diamonds can make practically anything possible.:rockwoot: Guns were never an issue for us but like everyone else we had our differences. Most went away with just growing up and learning to understand life. Good luck!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I take mine shooting with me.

When we have the money, the only argument we have about buying guns is who gets to do it.

It's a method I highly recommend :D

The only "downside" is that I have to reload more ammo, and she still, after all these years, thinks cleaning guns is a man's job.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    That may not be so bad, depending on what constitutes a "woman's job"

Cleaning the squirrels and rabbits we get (though we've yet to find a good place to hunt since moving here.)

I hope I don't have to turn in my man card, but that's a chore I REALLY don't like!

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    lucky hat

Just let her wear your lucky hat...:D

luckyhatui7.jpg

Last edited:

gunbunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2008
    Boilermaker Country
    Oh no it's not, not when you don't take the time to do it right.

Laundry, dishes and pistol cleaning. If you won't do it well, please go sip a beer and watch TV while your mistress handles these things for you. It's easier than living with glassware with spots, pink socks, and a "clean" gun that still features powder fouling in the crevices.

**nag nag nag** Where's my hoppes 9... **nag nag nag**

I can accept that reloading is a man's job. But not the gun cleaning.

The only "downside" is that I have to reload more ammo, and she still, after all these years, thinks cleaning guns is a man's job.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I just wanted to THANK everyone who responded to my post about assault rifles. I am not a troll and have learned a TON about guns and gun laws all due to this website.

I still am no where educated enough, but at least enough to make a decision for me and my family when it comes to the election.

I have a new question for everyone and figured this forum was appropriate as it is not nearly as serious as my last post...

Let me begin with this... I love guns, contrary to what many of you may believe. I was raised hunting at the age of 10. I had shot my father’s guns even younger than that.

My question - How do I get my wife to let me shoot a gun or even go HUNTING?! I own a small pistol and a 12 gauge shot gun. I'd love some sort of rifle.

Ha Ha... and to eliminate half of the responses... yes I am on a short leash and she has a very large whip... but regardless she is who I have chosen to be with and respect her opinions.

Cheers!

Just look her in the eyes and say woman, I'm going shooting/hunting period!

If that's ok with you honey. :laugh:

Top Bottom